• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke Mountain, February 18, 2007: Skiing with the Dawn Patrol and Tree Shots

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Sunday, February 18, 2007

Resort or Ski Area: Burke Mountain

Conditions: P/MG

Weather: Light snow all day long.

2006-2007 Trip # : 34

Trip Report: I decided to get up early to get in some more turns at Burke Mountain...especially after Mr. Andross pointed out that I was not there for first chair. I entered the lodge to find that there were already a lot of folks there getting ready (I should have figured that at 7:45 when Ford Hubbard was out there directing parking).

I skated to the quad and met up with the original trailboss and his crew. First ride up we talked about the torch light parade and how fun it was.

First run was down Camper's Carry/Upper Bear Den to the Meadows and then to Willoughby. The snow was amazing. 8am turns are simply amazing. Fresh grooming and quiet trails. From Darling Point, we flew down Lower Bear Den to Lower Fox's.

The "Dawn Patrol" at a distance to keep their identities anonymous :wink:

DSCN0316.JPG

"Be careful for the snowdunes." Said the original trailboss, referring to the mini terrain park that had been set up and buried in snow.

Danny charges down Lower Fox's:

DSCN03171.JPG

Next run we hit Powderhorn, which was amazing. We hit this run at least twice more in the morning. I skied down Dipper Doodle, which was still bumped up and lots of fun.

the original trailboss, his wife, and I skied down Shoot to Upper Fox's and then down Warren's. It was great, but you had to be careful because there were still some soft spots that caught you.

The Original Trailboss on Warren's.....he is just too fast to get a pic! (Look left...)

DSCN0319.JPG

After a break, we met up with the rest of the crew and skied down Upper Bear Den back to Willoughby. I decided to try the chute of the Ledges (the skier's left of the knoll's) where I found some nice, soft snow and bumps. I skied down to Lower Bear Den and then with the crew down Lower Fox's to the quad.

Upper Bear Den:

DSCN0325.JPG

The Ledges (Chute):

DSCN0328.JPG

We did a spin down Carriage Road to the Dippers (well, TOT and I did Powderhorn again....just too good). The next run was down the entire Dippers before the Dawn Patrol called it a day at around 11am.

Danny making great turns before calling it quits:

DSCN0322.JPG

So I headed out and did a run down East Bowl, Ledges again (probably the ROTD), Upper Warren's via the Poma, and McHarg's Cutoff, which was awesome.

McHarg's:
DSCN0333.JPG

I stopped for lunch and caught up with some local friends before heading back out on the mean shorty skis. My goal: ski Dixiland and the other glades in the afternoon.

First "warm up run" was down Bear Den to Middle Fox's and over to McHarg's. I did this run at least three times in the afternoon, getting stuck in some deep snow on two occasions on the head wall of Ledges--that's scary! I even went swimming at one point for a pole!

Finally, I skied the one glade that I had not been in before: the infamous Dixiland. I started by first skiing Sasqwatch to Wilderness before entering the tight opening of the glade. Dixiland is a very long glade that runs probably about 1,000 vertical feet or so There are two very steep pitches which are narrow. You really had to be careful. The lower section opened up and had some nice powder. It spills onto East Bowl just before the start of the run out.

A tight, steep spot on Dixiland:

DSCN0332.JPG

I was getting tired, but I managed to do a run down Ledges to McHarg's and then over to Little Chief, which was great (though I got stuck in one part). I did this run twice more before calling it quits.

An amazing day of skiing....what a weekend.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Some more pics....

Sasqwatch:

DSCN0329.JPG

The Original Trailboss (distant) and his wife on Warren's:

DSCN0320.JPG

And you can go HERE to see my Burke album.

Greg

Staff member
A tight, steep spot on Dixiland:

DSCN0332.JPG

I'm not a big tree guy, but I wouldn't call that tight. Looks pretty steep; so maybe that makes it seem tighter? Anyway, sweet pic! Looks just my speed.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm not a big tree guy, but I wouldn't call that tight. Looks pretty steep; so maybe that makes it seem tighter? Anyway, sweet pic! Looks just my speed.

It is tighter above this and to the left.....

snowmonster

Great dawn patrol shots! Maybe someday I can ski before the sun goes up -- not gonna happen though if I live in Boston.

Anyway, since you folks are the tree experts up at Burke, mind giving an aspiring tree skier a scouting report on the degree of difficulty of the different glades there? I know Marshland is on the easier side but any other tree runs a newbie can dive into -- or avoid unless the skill level goes up. Thanks!

stomachdoc

I spent the day yesterday in the trees at Burke. I'm exhausted today; especially as my 44 year old legs were skiing with a 13 year old and 11 year old (both accomplished skiers). That being said, the glades are certainly the highlight of Burke for me! The conditions are superb in the trees there right now. I probably would suggest "Y-knot" as a good place to jump in for the first time; if you are really tentative, you can sample the "Enchanted Forest" to get a taste of it.

The trees are really pretty tight at the top of the "Jungle" and the steeps in "Dixiland" and "Throbulator" will probably have you waking up screaming from sleep!