• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where do you live?

Where do you live

• ME

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • NH

Votes: 14 12.5%
  • VT

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • MA

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • CT

Votes: 20 17.9%
  • RI

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • NY

Votes: 17 15.2%
  • NJ

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • PA Holla!

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Outside the North East.

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters

bill2ski

This is the truth .. I have no need to cut an additional check to the Governor or am I in need of any tax amnesty. I pay all taxes owed whether it be income or sales. I send in a good amount in the form of the "use" tax when I file my income tax return. The use tax is the difference in percentage between any sales tax I pay in another state and Maine's. My vehicle is registered in Maine. There are many people who register their vehicles in NH to avoid paying taxes in Maine. I had a neighbor once I didn't get along with at all. They were renters and had their vehicles registered in NH for years. I didn't like them so I turned them in ... they moved soon after and that is all I have to say about that...

There is always someone trying to skirt the system. My brother In-law had a bottle redemp for his convenience store and a number of times, he or his staff , caught customers trying to redeem NH cans (mixed) with the rest of the legit ones,this became so frequent that he had to start refusing to take counted bags.Leading him to hire more sorters. Eventually, he gave up the whole thing and now only accepts empties that you purchased from his store.
Somebody always ends up paying for the negligence of others. In this case it cost two guy's their jobs.:sad:

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Isn't that where they filmed the Sequel movie to the "Columbo" series staring Peter Falk? I think it was called "Falk in Athol"
Sounds about right - Kinda like roadrage after the dentist. There are very few places on this earth whose name accurately describes them. Athol is one.

Like all places in central Mass, our town is improving (though slowly). All the folks that had to sell off the McMansions when their mortgages outgrew their paychecks are finding affordable, new/newer homes in a town with a low tax rate. Coupled with the rumored arrival of a Market Basket and a Lowes, we may be poised on a turn-around.

Of course, in some places it will always be Athol.

tjf67

Halfmoon, NY . . .

Probably not far from HPD . . . hey HPD, you should have a house party and invite me! ;-)

Satly's used to be one of my favorite places to eat. Seafood salad boat pretty darn good.

tjf67

Lake Placid; I can see the scar on the backside of whiteface anytime the clouds don't have her covered.

deadheadskier

Staff member
This is the truth .. I have no need to cut an additional check to the Governor or am I in need of any tax amnesty. I pay all taxes owed whether it be income or sales. I send in a good amount in the form of the "use" tax when I file my income tax return. The use tax is the difference in percentage between any sales tax I pay in another state and Maine's. My vehicle is registered in Maine. There are many people who register their vehicles in NH to avoid paying taxes in Maine. I had a neighbor once I didn't get along with at all. They were renters and had their vehicles registered in NH for years. I didn't like them so I turned them in ... they moved soon after and that is all I have to say about that...

I have no shame in buying stuff in New Hampshire as I'm there three days a week. The taxes in Maine are absurd and a lot of it has to do with massive mismangement. I personally put the bill together last fall for an 8 day DOT conference and most tax payers would be appalled at the amount of tax payers money that was spent. I'm sure there was merit to the meeting, but do they deserve to use my money at $80 a whck for lobster bakes for 100 people three of those night or the $16 breakfasts and lunches every day? No this event had no sposors it was all tax payer money, oh and I might add tax exmpt ofcorse.

So, no, I don't feel bad in the slightest about saving $100 by purchasing a TV last week in NH. Will I pay 'use' tax at the end of the year? Sure, if they give it back when I move to NH next fall. I love Portland, love Maine, but the state completely rips off its citizens and it's gov't is an economic joke. I only wish like your neighbors I had the fore thought to register my vehicle at my brothers NH address. $410 in excise tax for the privilige of living and driving in Maine? give me a break. The 20 cents a gallon more you pay on gasoline isn't enough?

So, HECK NO, I have no shame in buying whatever I can in NH.

hammer

I'm in a similar situation...since I live on the MA/NH border, I do a lot of shopping in NH, as much for convenience as for the sales tax savings.

I pay more than my fair share in income and property taxes...I don't have any guilts about buying high ticket items in NH. For the most part, anything really big has to be delivered, and in that case the store collects the sales tax. Otherwise, I just fill out the use tax portion when I file my income taxes and leave it at that.

deadheadskier

Staff member
sorry for my sway towards something a tad political - just paid a ridiculous excise tax on my car this morning. As I said, I do love Maine. I'll go as far as to say Portland is my favorit place I've ever lived, but the numbers don't add up as well for me and the lady as well as they would in NH. So fall 2008, Newmarket, NH here we come

hammer

sorry for my sway towards something a tad political - just paid a ridiculous excise tax on my car this morning. As I said, I do love Maine. I'll go as far as to say Portland is my favorit place I've ever lived, but the numbers don't add up as well for me and the lady as well as they would in NH. So fall 2008, Newmarket, NH here we come
Doesn't NH have a tax on vehicle registrations? They just don't call it an excise tax...

As far as the "excise tax" is concerned, the best way to cut that one down is to drive an old clunker...my MA excise taxes aren't that bad but my cars are 7 and 10 years old.

Just to clarify...
  • discussions about what taxes are is OK?
  • discussions about how taxes are used is political?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hey .. we will be almost neighbors then .. welcome to the neighborhood. I lived lived in South Portland, near the CG base, for a few years before I moved to Kittery. I really like the Portsmouth area, as much as I did when I was living in the Portland area.. I think you will feel the same way too.

I'm certain you can be nice :)

I really enjoy Portsmouth and do a lot of work in that town. If the housing costs weren't so high, I would love living there. Newmarket is close enough and as is my namesake, live music is a huge passion of mine and Newmarket has one of the best clubs in the Northeast - the Stonechurch, so that's a big draw for the girlfriend and I. Other benefits include she grew up in Rochester and has a ton of family in the area. So, a couple of years from now there will be ample baby sitters if things keep going in the direction they are between her and I.

ChileMass

I live in Mass about a half-hour southeast of Wawa, which is the closest "decent" skiing. The area is called MetroWest and is a good place to raise kids. Nice leafy suburban towns, good schools, big soccer fields, you get the picture.

If I was single and could live anywhere in the NE, it would be hard to choose.

Love Boston and Manhattan, but I'd go crazy in a short time.

Near a city - either Boston North Shore, outside Portland or lower Hudson Valley.
Near skiing - either North Conway or somewhere between Montpelier and Burlington.

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

Along the Canadian Border on the St Lawrence River about an hr south of Ottawa and VERY near the 1000 Islands

It is about as far north as one can go in New York State . We're more like Canada than the US :D

Paul

Allentown...but I'm moving to Whitehall..I'm gonna get out da hood!!!

Well Steeze is gettin' out of Allentown...
And even though he acts like a clown...
All the chicks there are really hooooooos
Blowin' their coke
Right up their nose...
And he's gettin' out of Allentown.

Thank you, try the veal....

Along the Canadian Border on the St Lawrence River about an hr south of Ottawa and VERY near the 1000 Islands

It is about as far north as one can go in New York State . We're more like Canada than the US :D

Canada Ehhh...

Last edited:
Well Steeze is gettin' out of Allentown...
And even though he acts like a clown...
All the chicks there are really hooooooos
Blowin' their coke
Right up their nose...
And he's gettin' out of Allentown.

Thank you, try the veal....

Feel good to get out da A
Drive my 3-wood out da A
Might mob the A
Hit up WaWa O.K.
Then back to my new crib no Valet
Eating Baloney on my Balconey