• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 12/9/07

Euler

Date(s) Skied:
12/9/07 10AM-1PM
Resort or Ski Area:
Mount Snow
Conditions:
Packed Powder,Powder,Crud
Trip Report:
Had the first real family ski day today at Mount Snow. I'd been out 3 times myself, one of those with my wife and son. Today we all went - Me, my wife, 10 yr old daughter and 7 year old son.

My daughter was on new skis and boots - the skis 20 cm longer than last year so I expected today to be a challenge for her, but no - she picked up right where she left off last year. My son continues to be a madman - forcing me to ski trails I might otherwise avoid.

We parked at Carinthia and did Upper Nitro - Lower Titanium for the warm up run. On the next run my seven year old son insisted he wanted to ski Lower Nitro which is a legitimate black diamond. I let him do it since it was short and not crowded. He did awesome - fell once but linked his turns around the boiler plate moguls forming on the steep headwall. He now tells me he wants to ski Bear Trap with me this year!

After these two runs on Carinthia we took Long John to the Main Face. I never fail to be scared by Long John/Deer Run. It's a green trail from the summit with lots of "whoop de dos" on the edge. It's crowded with low/intermediate skiers and riders and I'm always certain one of us will be taken out by some bozo thinking they're hot stuff going at mach speed down the green circle.

We made it down to the main face unscathed. Up the Summit Express and down Upper Canyon and Snowdance. Great conditions on Snowdance today. The new fan guns really shine on this trail. In previous years this super wide trail always seemed to have good coverage on only on skiier's left, but now it's well covered side to side. It's wide enough that it's only groomed on skiier's left and the right hand side was chock full of beautiful cruddy powder that I relished on my new to me Volkl 4 stars from the ski/skate sale in November.

To finish our short session we went back up to the summit and used Long John to connect back to Carinthia where we skiied Mineshaft and Stugger's Chute. Stugger's is another trail that has amazing coverage due to the investment in fan guns.

Way to go Mount Snow. Coverage was great, there was groomed and ungroomed terrain to be had and my family and I had a BLAST.

Last edited: