• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Internal Frame Backpack Question

X-Linked

Website
www.alphabluetech.com
I am looking for a pack to buy. I will go on anything from 1 day-2 week excursions. I do probably 70% High trail hiking and 30% Climbing. Obviously those numbers are different based on where I am. However, I know with the rock climbing the Internal frame packs are a better choice, simply because there is less stuff to get caught on.

However, I wasn't sure How big I wanted the pack. I'd like to be able to fit a small dome tent, a Sleeping bag, and my various hiking/climbing tools and accessories. 45/10 is not big enough for a few days out there right? I was probably going to go with a 65/10 or 70/10, but are there any helpful tips on picking out a pack? Pockets to look for, and straps that might be necessary? I already have a couple hydration packs, so that is probably least of my worries.

Thank you for any help in advance.

-X

Mike P.

When you say climbing, do you mean technical climbing? Are you doing that as part of your 2 weeks outdoors? I'm thinking you want two packs. (I don't know many (any) people who have one pack for everything. One day or an overnight in a hut can be done under 3,000 cubic inches while two weeks is best done with at least 5,000.

(personally, I have a couple of under 2,000 day packs, a 700cu fanny pack, a 2500, a 3,000 a 3,500 which I use more for luggage & a 5,500.)

How much are you looking to spend? You may be able to find a 5,000+ bag that has a detachable lid that can be worn as a fanny pack. These usually are not as good as traditional fanny packs though.

I'd look at Lowe Alpine, Gregory, Mountainsmith amongst some others. Kelty usually has a good selection at a cheaper price, not as good as the ones above though. It's been a few years since i've looked by Lowe Alpine's adjustable waist belt & shoulder straps helped the pack fit many different torso sizes.

While some of these can be bought on-line, IMO, a pack is best bought in person so you can try them on & see if they fit you.

X-Linked

Website
www.alphabluetech.com
Climbing basically just as terrain requires you to. Most of it is free climbing of about 25ft or below. Occasionally well over that, and when I am with other technical climbers we go to climbing spots of 30-100ft + climbs. This we obviously use the proper equipment for.

I already have a few day packs of about 2500-3500. Say about 4. I am definitely most interested in a 5000+ but was wondering if a 75/15 would be too large. I stand about 5'9" and weigh about 155. This pack will be used for the longer excursions and most likely will have one with a detachable fanny. I am really mostly curious about where to attach tents or sleeping bags on some of them. I usually bring a 2 person dome that weighs about 8 lbs but I am considering buying a hyper lite one that weighs less than 5.

Anyways, thank you much for the input. The size specs is more what I was concerned about. I will let you know what I end up getting. Most likely check it out at a Local shop.

Mike P.

Some place rent them, i might be tempted to rent (or borrow someones) a 500 or so first & see if that works. The problem with bigger bags are that you will fill them with things you don't need if you hae the space.

That said, some people like the extra fleece or the camp expresso maker & would never think of skimping on a coupel of extra creature comforts. If on the other hand you're okay with wearing the same two or three shirts for two weeks then you should be okay. The 8 pound tent sounds a little heavy so once you get the lighter sleeping/overnight gear, the smaller pack may be fine. (From memory, Gregory & Mountainsmith usually have ample attachments)

Going with 20% of your weight as an ideal pack loaded pack weight, you are looking at 31 pounds. Seems light for two weeks out; so if you are planning on bigger loads you don't want to be skimping on suspension to save a few dollars or ounces.

if you are looking at bigger bags, you definietlty want to try them first, getting a huge pack on a 5'9" body, especially if you have long legs could be tough.

X-Linked

Website
www.alphabluetech.com
Thanks. Yeah I figured 20% of body weight is about right. I do not bring things like coffee makers and stuff like that. however, I do do a lot of Cold weather stuff so the extra room is good for that extra fleece exactly. 5'9" but pretty proportionate as far as proportions go I guess.

I figure, 3 sets of clothes(variety of thicknesses), 6-10 pair of socks, 4-5 lights, emergency kit, food like beef jerky, marathon bars, and some chex mix. Bed roll, small tent, tools (Small ice axe, 2 multitools, a small shovel, always a few extra small knives, Climbing gloves, small crampons, some minor climbing equipment with a point n shoot digital camera, second pair of shoes, and that sounds like about it.

Basically a similar pack as the military would use without the added weight of the weapons and ammo. Though I might bring a handgun of sorts. Most likely a 40 S&W. Obviously Water will be the heaviest and most concerning threat. But Like i said I have a few 2 Liter camelbacks and plan on picking up some purification tablets and or a bottle with purifier in it.