• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Abram

deadheadskier

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: February 9th, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Mt. Abram

Conditions: Groomed Packed Powder, Broken Powder on the natural trails with the occasional knee deep shot. Mid 20's, no wind, few bits of sun and flurries starting on the last run.

Trip Report:

If there's one thing separate from my own enjoyment that makes me happy about having such a great snow year is knowing how much it means to the mom and pop ski areas. Knowing that they haven't had to spend nearly so much on snowmaking and the snow attracts more skiers than normal to help them survive.

I boarded the summit lift with every intention of taking a warm up run down Boris Badinov, but watching some tele skiers rip the trail under the lift that is ungroomed, Fractured Fairy Tales was the choice. Fractured certainly isn't Chute at MRG, but it's got a decent pitch and when ungroomed, certainly worthy of diamond status and a great lift line trail. Bumps were forming, but it was still very much broken powder piles to bash through. While resting for a moment a guy from the lift said, damn sweet isn't it? I could only nod with approval.

The next run was just a rip down Boris, which was groomed to perfection. I'm no where near where I want to be in terms of leg fitness, so I find that I have to alternate between bump/natural runs and then a groomer. It's rather frustrating getting a bit older as each year I'm having a more difficult time skiing myself into shape, especially when I'm only going two or three times a month. So, starting this week, it's back on the rowing machine three nights a week, so I can rally a bit for the end of the season. Next fall I won't make the same mistake, I hope. Working out is like pulling teeth with me. Skiing more will help to. I find that once February hits, I put aside work and family obligations much more to make sure I get in as much time on the hill as I can before the end of the year.

Anyways, back to the TR. Next ungroomed run was a link between a glade up top called The Zone into upper Zephyr (gladed) and lower Zephyr (no trees). These trails weren't skied nearly as much as elsewhere on the mountain and I found some nice knee deep shots towards the sides. The snow was incredible. Outside of untracked pow, it was as good as it gets.

Rocky's run and Lost Leader proved to be the same as Fractured Fairy tales, very good, but not quite as sweet as Zephyr. The bumps had more rythm, but the snow was much heavier. On one of my groomer runs I took Round About, which just like last time I was at Mt Abram, I had the Yes song stuck in my head. I never ski with tunes, but usually always have a song in my head while going. I kind of thought to myself, wouldn't it be great if all ski trails have song names? Back to Round About which stretches way off to the mountain's eastern flank. While out there I noticed some tracks heading back onto the trail coming from the direction of Rocky's. I looked up and saw some fairly steep woods and clearly someone or many has a little stash carved out in there. So....back up to Rocky's to find the entrance.

Sure enough at the top of rockies were ski tracks leading into the woods and an orange rope stretched for about fifteen feet. So apparently a not so secret stash, but I hadn't noticed the rope before. I ducked under and took a look. There was a pretty sweet six foot wide 'trail' heading off with perhaps three tracks down it. That said, even with all the snow, there was still quite a bit of pucker brush poking up through. Had there not been any, I probably would've charged it, but the brush coupled with my legs being jello said, nope you don't have it in you. Also, tomorrow is a day at Wildcat with friends and I don't want to be completely spent. So, skied down Rocky's for the final run.

The sight of the day was under the lift. Above Fractured is another 'trail' that is a short black run called 'The Cliff'. Appropriately, this trail has a small cliff at the bottom. You can bail out to skiers left and go around it, but if you really charge straight off of it, I bet the total drop would be eight, perhaps ten feet if you really hucked it. There was a guy telemarking and had his I assume son behind him. He went first and bailed out to the left and stopped below the cliff. His son couldn't have been much older than four. He was TINY, maybe as tall as my waist. This little knee biter in his helmet CHARGED straight off the cliff. You could tell that was his intention to as he definitely pushed off, looking for as much air as possible. This was no accident. He stuck the landing, then crashed while trying to dump speed. Major applause from the lift. I have a feeling he's going to be a future Meathead Films ski star.

salsgang

Great Report! My family did a Mt. Abram run earlier this year and had a ball. Looking forward to going back. Some good stuff for a mid-sized mountain.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It really does have some rippin' terrain for such a smallish hill. Enough to keep me entertained for sure. Rocky's and Zephyr although short are pretty legit. Boris Badinov is a pretty great cruiser to bomb to.

I'll be back for the year's through

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
my legs being jello
Wow, You musta been really out of shape, given you skied for years on Mansfield. I'm really suprised!

This little knee biter in his helmet CHARGED straight off the cliff.
I have never seen anything like that. Usually takes puberty to kick off behavior like that....I'll bet he made a pact with his Dad NOT to tell Mom about it when he got home. That IS pretty incredible. I'll bet though if the kid had gotten hurt his dad would be in jail for negligence.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well, when I did ski on Mansfield for years, I always got in 40 to 100 days. That's the difference. Even then it wasn't until day 10 or so that my legs were ready to rock all day. Today was day 7 of the season for me. Spread over three months, that's really not enough frequency to build up leg strength. I'm just not skiing enough to have my legs in the shape they need to be to ski how I'd like to all day long. So....I need to hit the rowing machine to supplement things.

Yeah I was SHOCKED by this kid. Seriously, if he was older than six, I'd be suprised. I'd put him closer to four though. That's an interesting thought about a negligence law suit if the kid got hurt.

phil

My son and I skied Mt Abram just after Christmas, which was my first time back there since the 70's. It was soso that morning then after lunch took about 6 inches of snow which made it real nice.
And the last time I skied there they had not yet installed the chair lift.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I can see it being hit or miss, more often miss. However, after a big snow event, which has been the case, I will choose Abram over SR everytime. They've got expert terrain that rivals the rivers though on a much smaller scale. I just love the old timey feel and the fact that both days I've skied were a couple of days after storms and there were still plenty of fresh to be found, which usually isn't the case at the more popular destinations.

I kinda wish they didn't have the chairlift and just ran the T-Bar. Looks like a fun ride, but I'm told it's a rare occasion that they run it.

Vortex

Great report. I admit I read very few. (I pretty much stay local) You might even have busted me on that.:smash: You made me put it on the list. I learned alot about the moutnain, not just your day. excellent report. informative.:spread:

phil

We skied SR the next day and found it to be skied off rather quickly for the day after a storm.
I would take Mt Abram with snow over SR easily.

Vortex

I find snow at the River. Just glad to hear a good review. Gives me a chance to mix it up if I feel like it, without having to drive towards the cat or loaf.

deadheadskier

Staff member
next powder day, do yourself a favor and check it out bob. 19 times out of 20, the river would be my choice, but on a powder day, Mt Abram is a hoot.