• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pedro Martinez controversy

ctenidae

OK, well, I think one thing we can all agree on is that Chicken McNuggets are delicious. I prefer mine with sweet 'n sour sauce.

Much like TV dinners and fish sticks, I find that McNuggets are much better in the memory than they are in reality. I'm always dissapointed when I eat them, and a little bit of my childhood dies. It's like watching D&D or Transformers cartoons. I don't want to know how bad they really were. They were an integral part of my childhood, and I'd like to keep them that way.

Cockfighting and baseball, on the other hand were not so important to my childhood, so to both of them I give a healthy dose of "Meh"

jack97

OK, well, I think one thing we can all agree on is that Chicken McNuggets are delicious. I prefer mine with sweet 'n sour sauce.

mcnuggets_large.jpg

After reading Fast Food Nation by Schlosser, I've stayed away from McD, its' been about three years since I eaten a meal in one of the places.

In terms of what they are doing with our nation's children, the eating habits they promote and the obesity problems we will inherit is a crime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Food_Nation

ComeBackMudPuddles

Much like TV dinners and fish sticks, I find that McNuggets are much better in the memory than they are in reality. I'm always dissapointed when I eat them, and a little bit of my childhood dies. It's like watching D&D or Transformers cartoons. I don't want to know how bad they really were. They were an integral part of my childhood, and I'd like to keep them that way.

Cockfighting and baseball, on the other hand were not so important to my childhood, so to both of them I give a healthy dose of "Meh"

You managed to diss McNuggets, the original Transformers cartoons and baseball all in one post? :blink:

I'd like to toss you in a ring against an angry cock. That'll learn ya!

ComeBackMudPuddles

After reading Fast Food Nation by Schlosser, I've stayed away from McD, its' been about three years since I eaten a meal in one of the places.

In terms of what they are doing with our nation's children, the eating habits they promote and the obesity problems we will inherit is a crime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Food_Nation

Guys, I was just trying to find us some common ground that we could agree on to get some positive vibes going....

Let me try again....

If there's one thing we can agree on, it's that little puppies are adorable!!

cutest%20puppy.jpg

jack97

Being negative or contentious is fun......

Damn, can't say anything bad about pups.

ctenidae

You managed to diss McNuggets, the original Transformers cartoons and baseball all in one post? :blink:

I'd like to toss you in a ring against an angry cock. That'll learn ya!

I got the D&D cartoon in there, too. Don't forget that one.

I will say, though, that chicken pot pies continue to be exactly as tasty as I remember them. Especially when the crust on the bottom gets good and gooey.

deadheadskier

Staff member
BTW, after what I heard and seen done to calfs, I don't eat veal, haven't for over 15 years.

You sir, have drank the coolaide and are entirely misinformed about how veal is raised as it is no less humane than calfs raised for beef. You might as well give up eating beef to then as calfs raised for veal production have equally as good of a life as calfs raised for beef if not better.

The only difference between the two is their diet and length of life. I sell veal, amongst many other kinds of meat for a living and the animals are treated like gold. They aren't cooped up in a restrictive pen like most people are lead to believe. These calfs are raised in group pens with room to roam, 24 hour access to to the outdoors, food and water. 90% of their diet is milk, which for the first ten weeks comes direct from their mother, same as any calf raised for beef. At ten weeks, the calves are too large for their mother to support their diets, so at this point they switch to an automated feeder. The other 10% of their diet is grain to help aide in digestion. If you find veal that is more pink in color instead of white, it just means a higher percentage of grain in their diet. Why this is done? One reason, Milk cost a helluva a lot more than grain.

For ten weeks a veal calf is essentially afforeded the same life as a beef calf. The second ten the diet is different, but perfectly healthy. Honestly the only major difference between veal and beef is tht veal calfes are processed at 20 weeks where as beef calfes get to live to the ripe old age of 20 months.

Paul

I got the D&D cartoon in there, too. Don't forget that one.

I will say, though, that chicken pot pies continue to be exactly as tasty as I remember them. Especially when the crust on the bottom gets good and gooey.

McNuggets came into popularity when I was in Jr. High, so I never really got into them.
D&D and transformers cartoons were more like H.S. so, nuthin' there.

But damn...Chicken pot pie....... Y'know, tempting someone on a diet who can't eat that makes the Baby Jeebus cry.

See...I tied in another thread. Yay me!

ComeBackMudPuddles

What? Are you from some lost Mayan tribe who's calendar ends in 2003?

Yes. Please don't disturb the delicate sense of false reality I have so carefuly constructed around me.....

gradypedro.jpg

040730boone.jpg

yanks-2003-alcs-1.jpg

Never mind the Marlins. We'll win it all in '04!!

jack97

You sir, have drank the coolaide and are entirely misinformed about how veal is raised as it is no less humane than calfs raised for beef. You might as well give up eating beef to then as calfs raised for veal production have equally as good of a life as calfs raised for beef if not better.

The only difference between the two is their diet and length of life. I sell veal, amongst many other kinds of meat for a living and the animals are treated like gold. They aren't cooped up in a restrictive pen like most people are lead to believe. These calfs are raised in group pens with room to roam, 24 hour access to to the outdoors, food and water. 90% of their diet is milk, which for the first ten weeks comes direct from their mother, same as any calf raised for beef. At ten weeks, the calves are too large for their mother to support their diets, so at this point they switch to an automated feeder. The other 10% of their diet is grain to help aide in digestion. If you find veal that is more pink in color instead of white, it just means a higher percentage of grain in their diet. Why this is done? One reason, Milk cost a helluva a lot more than grain.

For ten weeks a veal calf is essentially afforeded the same life as a beef calf. The second ten the diet is different, but perfectly healthy. Honestly the only major difference between veal and beef is tht veal calfes are processed at 20 weeks where as beef calfes get to live to the ripe old age of 20 months.

Maybe that koolaid is all I need.

OK, so I heard different reports and stories on how veal calfs are raise, some better and some not so good. I seen pictures and vids of the male dairy calfs slated for veal, not so good.

BTW, how they raise regular cattle IMO is bordering on inhumane. Very little land to raise them on and very little time to grow them big. And we slaughter about 2.2 to 2.5 million cattle each month. I can do with less meat in my diet.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Maybe that koolaid is all I need.

OK, so I heard different reports and stories on how veal calfs are raise, some better and some not so good. I seen pictures and vids of the male dairy calfs slated for veal, not so good.

BTW, how they raise regular cattle IMO is bordering on inhumane. Very little land to raise them on and very little time to grow them big. And we slaughter about 2.2 to 2.5 million cattle each month. I can do with less meat in my diet.

Then you should eat all natural beef. Not all beef is raised on small land parcels. And not all beef is raised to grow large. 99% of cattle that are grown large achieve their size through steriods and growth hormones, not length of life.

This is the beef I sell and the ethics behind it.

http://natural-beef.com/animal_ethics.php

It comes at a high cost, but if you believe in animal welfare, that price is worth peace of mind.

jack97

Then you should eat all natural beef.

It comes at a high cost, but if you believe in animal welfare, that price is worth peace of mind.

Sounds great. But....according to most doctors and health organizations, people in the US consume more protein than needed. Also, the cholesterol in beef and dairy product is doing me any good. I think I will eat less meat.

ComeBackMudPuddles

First Schilling goes down, and now Beckett's woefully out of shape? The shot below was taken yesterday.

Uh-oh....

Where's Pedro when you need him?

0669ea2a28_beckett_02132008.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
First Schilling goes down, and now Beckett's woefully out of shape? The shot below was taken yesterday.

Uh-oh....

Where's Pedro when you need him?

0669ea2a28_beckett_02132008.jpg

He probably looked at Sabathia standing 6'8" and a not so solid 350 and decided super sizing his value meals this winter might get him the CY

JimG.

Staff member
I can't get mad at Pedro because I'm an inveterate eater of chickens. I got to figure over the course of my 38 years of eating-I'm eaten most or part of at least 1000 chickens (maybe more). I would have to guess less than 1% or 1% of those were of the free range variety.

From what I hear, the life of your average 'to be eaten' chicken is pretty grim, and probably worse than the 'fightin' Chicken' (I know-they're roosters).

I just can't get worked up over this-Cock fighting is certainly unsavory (well, at least until they cook up the losers), but please, we're talking chickens here-maybe if Pedro was involved in promoting death matches between two Bengal tigers i'd get my dander up-but not chickens in the Dominican republic.

I hope Pedro makes apologies to nobody-I'm tired of folks cow-towing to these public pressure busybody self-righteous groups.

Pedro ought to say he'll apologize when Colonel Sanders gives up his commission.
:flame:

Great post.