Hillman Highway 04/28/2008 - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    Don't tell me you packed dehydrated food in your 85 pound pack..lol..did you hike in hiking boots or ski boots?

  2. #12
    Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Thomaston, CT
    Posts
    31,083
    Quote Originally Posted by andyzee View Post
    So, I'm thinking of starting early planning for next year, you in?
    You might be able to convince me. I'm already determined to save more vacation days for spring next year.
    I ski double black diamonds.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by GrilledSteezeSandwich View Post
    Don't tell me you packed dehydrated food in your 85 pound pack..lol..did you hike in hiking boots or ski boots?
    I packed buffulo chili, power bars, some dried sausage and trail mix. Hiking up I hiked in some new mountaineering boots, which up to now felt comfortable. After the hike I realize that they were a bit big. That was hiking up to the leanto.

    Hiking up Hillman, I started out in hiking boots and then at the base decided I'd be better off in ski boots. So I took off my hiking boots, put them in a plastic trash bag and hid them behind a rock. Hiked up in my skiboots, skied down, then had trouble finding my hiking boots.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    You might be able to convince me. I'm already determined to save more vacation days for spring next year.
    Next year, I think I'd want to go up earlier. I would like to ski the whole length of Sherburne back down. Also, not sure if I'd camp out on top. As much as I loved it, carrying the load was tough. After speaking to other campers, I found that 75-85 pounds was the norm.

  5. #15
    Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Thomaston, CT
    Posts
    31,083
    Quote Originally Posted by andyzee View Post
    Next year, I think I'd want to go up earlier. I would like to ski the whole length of Sherburne back down. Also, not sure if I'd camp out on top. As much as I loved it, carrying the load was tough. After speaking to other campers, I found that 75-85 pounds was the norm.
    That is a heavy ass pack. I've done 3 night backpacks in the summer with ~40-45 lb. packs. I could see how skis and boots could put you up to that range.
    I ski double black diamonds.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    That is a heavy ass pack. I've done 3 night backpacks in the summer with ~40-45 lb. packs. I could see how skis and boots could put you up to that range.
    Yeah, you want to pack a bit warmer clothes for skiing too.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:02 AM.