• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nass RAW - 9/25/08

bvibert

Staff member
Met Jeff for a ride out of Stone Rd. after work today. We had a nice ride through a bunch of the stuff on the stuff to the east of Stone, including all of the newly raked stuff. That little loop of the newest cleared stuff that I hadn't been on before was fun. We rode for about an hour and a half. My GPS shut itself off again mid-way through the ride so we'll have to wait to see Jeff's for distances and such.

I was happy that my bike didn't give me any problems, all my repairs and new parts seem to be working fine thus far. My new seat bothered me a bit though. :(

The big thing that I'm proud of is clearing that big rock on the freeride-ish trail, with the ramps on either side of it, that Jeff got video if Greg riding the last time they were there. I rode up it without problem twice and scoped out the ramp going down, then on the third try I did the whole thing in one shot. :D

Greg

Staff member
Nice one on the ramp-rock, B! Now we gotta do it in reverse!

Greg

Staff member
Oh yeah - what's new on the bike, B?

bvibert

Staff member
Oh yeah - what's new on the bike, B?

The biggest is that I moved the fork from my HT to the FS. I also got a new rear tire and seat. The tire I got doesn't have very deep tread, so I was skeptical, but it worked fine. It also seems that I need to lube my chain before each ride, I did before this one and no more chain suckage issues at all. I also put some new rear brake pads in and re-adjusted the fronts, brakes = sweetness now. Oh yeah and I replaced the bent spoke in my rear wheel and re-trued both wheels. The fork had a slightly longer steerer tube so the stem and bars are up about .5". The fork has the ability to adjust from 70mm to 100mm of travel, I have it set so that the axle to crown is just a bit longer than the old fork. With the slight change in geometry and positioning it felt like a whole different bike. The only problem being that the fork seems to have a bit higher spring rate, so it's a bit stiffer than the old, I'm sure it'll be fine though.

bvibert

Staff member
In a good way?

For the most part. It was kinda nice having a more upright position, the only problem was that I was having even more trouble than usual keep the front end down on climbs. I'll get it all dialed in and it'll be cool though. I may end up putting one of the steerer spacers on top of the stem to lower it back down a bit, but I haven't decided yet.