• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Default style change / forum order

When should we change the default style / forum order?

• Stick with tradition: Greg's first frost - First 70 degree day

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Align it with the lift-serviced ski season

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • October 1 - April 30

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • First evidence of snowfall somwhere in the Northeast until....

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Other. Suggest below.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
Lots of opposition to tradition so here's your chance to whine... ;)

bvibert

Staff member
You should have made it a public poll so that we can publicly flog those who appose tradition... :lol:

ComeBackMudPuddles

I stuck with tradition, but what's the cut off for "first 70 degree day"? Has to be after March?

Greg

Staff member
I stuck with tradition, but what's the cut off for "first 70 degree day"? Has to be after March?

It's rare that we'll hit 70 degrees before the middle of April, but it has happened and I didn't make the change then since I knew it was a fluke. In fact this season, I sorta bucked tradition myself, and kept it blue until the last day of lift-serviced.

It's good to be the king. :razz:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I like the tradition... but it seems every year there are more and more people who complain about the subjectiveness about it. So maybe it would be better with set dates? Just throwing that out there...

cbcbd

I like tradition and like that the color is subjective and less predictable.
I won't really know exactly when Greg's pink mary kay caddy will wake up with frosties, but I could know exactly when lifts start/stop running, Oct 1 is coming, etc... I'd rather it be a surprise than a countdown - it's nice to log in one day and Bam! it's all blue. Makes one feel all fuzzy inside...

WJenness

I like the first frost for the change, it's highly unlikely we'll have a chance to ski before that...

As for the green side, I like the end of east coast lift service (like last year).

My personal vote is: GFF (Greg's First Frost, not GSS) or eastern lift service (whichever happens first) until end of lift service.

-w

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
STOKE
Isn't part of the tradition rev'ing up the STOKE?
You know, like Walmart puts out the Christmas merchandise in August.:flag:

Besides, relying on frost in the deep south of the northeast is like waiting for ice to freeze in Florida. :lol:

Summer activities got all of mud season to stoke for MTB, hiking etcetera. Hmm, maybe we need BROWN for mud season?

ALPINE ZONE - What's in a name? Should not the color reflect what's going on in the mountains? After all this isn't FLATLANDZONE now, is it?

Let's have American Heritage Dictionary weigh in here:

al·pine

adj.

1. Alpine Of, relating to, or characteristic of the Alps or their inhabitants.
  2. Of or relating to high mountains.
  3. Biology Living or growing on mountains above the timberline: alpine plants.
  4. Sports
    1. Intended for or concerned with mountaineering.
    2. Alpine Of or relating to competitive downhill racing and slalom skiing events.

Nothing in this definition talks about the flatlands. You guys gotta get into the hills more, instead of looking at cute webcam pics all day ;) We should be setting our aspirations HIGHER. :smash:

GO BLUE!

Greg

Staff member
Uh huh. I didn't even think to check until I notice the temp was 35*F. I was surprised how much there was on the grass and the roofs. Certainly a "damp" frost, but there was definitely frozen substance on the grass blades. Earliest frost I remember in a while.