• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

12 year old in adult ski

Angus

what are the trade-offs and considerations when putting a 12 year (110lbs, 5'9") in a pair of adult skis (160cm). He is a strong intermediate to advance skier but not particularly strong physically - very lean. Specifically, a higher performance, all-mountain ski. thanks for the input.

Hawkshot99

It will be harder for him to control the skis. When you have the weight of a adult it is easier to control the ski.
If you were to go with a softer adult ski he should be ok, as it will be softer and easier to control.

skidmarks

It will be harder for him to control the skis. When you have the weight of a adult it is easier to control the ski.
If you were to go with a softer adult ski he should be ok, as it will be softer and easier to control.

He'll benefit from the better construction of the Adult Ski IE: better edge grip. I agree that you should look for softer models. In the case of twin tips many companys have specific models for Teens and light Adults.

hammer

what are the trade-offs and considerations when putting a 12 year (110lbs, 5'9") in a pair of adult skis (160cm). He is a strong intermediate to advance skier but not particularly strong physically - very lean. Specifically, a higher performance, all-mountain ski. thanks for the input.
I got my son (5'6", 120 lb at the time) a pair of lower-end 160s last season. The skis would have been way too soft for me but they suited him quite well.

stay away from a ski with metal in it and he'll likely be in great shape...as skidmarks mentioned, improved grip and stability. There are some good "tweener" skis out there...adult constructions with more jr-ish pricing.