• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powder days...are you worthy?

hammer

The recent storm discussion has me thinking...why is it that so many people flock to ski areas after a dump only to realize that they can't ski in powder?

I don't have any real powder skills, but at least I know before I head out on a powder day that it will be tougher (and maybe even more frustrating) to ski.

gmcunni

i know i can't ski powder great but still want to go. you don't get better at it just sitting home.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
i know i can't ski powder great but still want to go. you don't get better at it just sitting home.

Amen, I couldn't have said it any better myself.

I planned a trip to Wildcat last year and got lucky with a powder day, over 12" the night before. It was the hardest and most humbling ski experience of my life, and I had the most fun I've ever had on a ski mountain.

ozzy

Once you figure out the two footed weigh distrubution thing on wide skis that is very different than skiing groomed or moguls or trees you'll be happier and addicted too no doubt
I mean I love skiing bumps, cruising and groomers re fun, but to me powder is the crem de la crem.
One of my favorite parts about it how silent it is

prisnah

Skiing pow is supposed to be hard? :roll:

So I guess that's why near every hill in the east feels like they're obligated to groom everything they can ASAP after a dump.

Seriously though, powder day's do seem to bring out a lot of people who are just terrible skiers.

If you can't ski the hell out of a groomer on your old straight sticks and rear entry boots do ya really think you'll perform better in deep snow? Stop scraping off all the goods dood!

Nah...everyone's gotta start somewhere, might as well fall in soft snow.:razz:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm getting better each time out. I have more fun in the pow, I don't mind falling, there are fewer injuries on a pow day. I enjoy the scenery, the drive, the blasting through the woods with face shots and tree avalanches on my head.

I picked up a pair of midfats that are "all season tire" midground sticks.

I DO mind not finding my skis after I fall, and I love the silence of skiing without scrape-scratch-scrape sounds.

I don't mind if the newbies fall, I just get that far ahead of them. I enjoy it best day after the storm, when the sun comes out.

I snicker to myself when folks complain "there's too much snow"

drjeff

SOOOOOOOO many people who flock to a hill on a powder day would be SOOOOOOOO much happier if they waited 24 hours and were looking at a hill filled with soft cord and chopped up powder IMHO. The average skier just can't handle more than a few inches of fluff because a) its tiring a frustrating for them to ski it and b) by late day many runs are bumped up which is tiring and frustrating for them to ski

SKIQUATTRO

working out logistics now to head up tonight to hit stratton (free tix from warren miller)

Sugar Daddies are tuned and ready to go (99 waist) these things absolulty float in pow....you have to dance with Pow, not fight it like everyone is used to doing in icy/hardpack conditions.....you also need to ski faster which freaks out some...

Geoff

I've been skiing powder since the skinny ski days. It sure is a heck of a lot easier on fat skis since you no longer have to do that big unweight on every turn.

faceplant

pow in the east is heavier wetter- more dense- tuf stuff, aint western champaign. Plus the areas are smaller then out west so it gets tracked out fast- so the virgin pow disapears quick- so your goin from virgin to tracks to virgin & back again- a balancin act. Them westerners are spoiled by there sissy snow- i'd like to see em come try to ski some catskill crud. that bein said- 2 sundays ago we got first tracks in boot deep pow rippin through it & leavin a cloud behind- felt like a spoiled westerner. Not gonna add to the good advice alredy here exept to say i keep my toes up & go fast i keep my toes up & go fast

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
It is funny that so many people who cannot ski eastern powder are out there. I've seen riders and skiers literally bury themselves in snow not being able to move. It is true, if they would wait until the next day they would like it much better.

I know a few people who do just that. Personally I like the POW!

bvibert

Staff member
One thing that we do is slow way down.

I'm no expert by any means, but one thing I've found is that powder is way easier and more fun if you open up and let em rip a bit. Get too slow and turny and it's way more work then it has to be.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Powder is no different than any other aspect of skiing, it takes practice and the right equipment can make a world of difference. I can ski powder fine on skinnier skis, but it's a lot better on the fat boards. ....better run for cover from Creeky knees :lol:

I actually find that outside of certain mountains that attract expert skiers (northern new england areas) that the mountains tend to be less busy on Powder days. That was always the case growing up skiing Okemo.

Geoff

It is funny that so many people who cannot ski eastern powder are out there. I've seen riders and skiers literally bury themselves in snow not being able to move. It is true, if they would wait until the next day they would like it much better.

I know a few people who do just that. Personally I like the POW!

"Eastern Powder". Meh. I can remember skiing thigh deep cement at Whistler in the pouring r@in back in the late 1980's. I'll take "eastern powder" any day over that condition.

I got competent skiing powder in 1998-1999 when I hit a lot of it on a bunch of west trips. I'd taken that winter off and probably had 50 powder days. Here's heli-skiing in 1999 in New Zealand in a continuation of that extended break. I was on Salomon X-Mountains. 78mm waist straight skis.
244a_025.jpg

244a_024.jpg

244a_023.jpg