• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powder days...are you worthy?

atkinson

Website
www.sugarbush.com
vol48_img009.JPG

Today in the Mad River Valley.

You can enjoy non-western powder in VT, NY, QC, NH and ME, or boldly claim that we don't get good pow and sit home while it dumps. Sometimes the stuff that falls here is super airy light. The deepest snow I've ever skied has been in VT and QC, despite multiple trips west that nailed sweet storm cycles.

Enjoy it when it's here!

John

032108-sevePow_.jpg

Sugarbush 03/2008

032108-sevepow4.jpg

Smellytele

On teleskis skiing powder is actually easier for me then skiing groomers. Powder equals more friction. I don't like a fresh dump of cement though. That isn't much fun either nor is it powder.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
It takes me a run or two to get comfortable on my "pow legs". On the rare occasion there's a actual powder day in PA, I'll generally do as drjeff suggests and wait it out.NJ/PA really suck at plowing/salting/sanding and clearing roads. I can remember last year it took me over 3 hours to attempt to get out to Blue, only to find out that PA closed down 78 and then another 2 hours to get back home.
If I'm on vacation in NY or VT, well then I just have to go and enjoy it. I'm pretty ok so long as it doesn't get really bumped up, since I have zero mogul skills. It takes some getting used to. I can't stand skiing in cement "powder"

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I will take a shot at that question. Groomer skiers are sick and tired of skiing frozen groomer tracks... the prospect of groomed "packed" powder is an extremely alluring proposition. Which is why at most "resorts" you are likely to see at least 50% grooming even on a powder day. Even at "skier's mountains", at least 1/3 grooming is very typical, even on a powder day.

icedtea

I wouldn't consider those who would rather ski groomed than fresh pow real skiers.

faceplant

vol48_img009.JPG

Today in the Mad River Valley.

You can enjoy non-western powder in VT, NY, QC, NH and ME, or boldly claim that we don't get good pow and sit home while it dumps. Sometimes the stuff that falls here is super airy light. The deepest snow I've ever skied has been in VT and QC, despite multiple trips west that nailed sweet storm cycles.

Enjoy it when it's here!

John

032108-sevePow_.jpg

Sugarbush 03/2008

032108-sevepow4.jpg

must be sweet livin up where its so cold your pows lite- i am jealous- if ya get a chance stop by & try some catskill crud- gives a whole diffrent perspective- then again why the heck would ya??

mondeo

I'll ski the day after. It's when the bumps are at their peak. Part of it also has to do with the fact that I only have bump skis. I can ski 6" on a good base fine, but 2' on no base is a pain. Actually, it's an odd mix of awesomeness and frustration. It doesn't help that I'm in crappy shape.

I am looking for some powder boards, though, just need to find a powder day to demo some. I'd be happy with a 2 ski quiver, one skinny as possible and the other fat. Figure fat skis will have me hunting the deep stuff more.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll ski the day after. It's when the bumps are at their peak.

disagree

I'll take them day of storm, troughs refreshing all day, never know what can happen overnight with weather. Powder bumps day of is where it's at.

wa-loaf

Yes. I am worthy. I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me!

Stuart_Smalley_sitting.jpg

mondeo

disagree

I'll take them day of storm, troughs refreshing all day, never know what can happen overnight with weather. Powder bumps day of is where it's at.
Yeah, but if the snow comes during the day I don't particularly consider it a powder day. Looking at it from the perspective of 8" by the time it opens, or the day after 8"+. 3-4" to start with it and dumping, just light enough that you can still see decently, throughout the day is pretty sweet too.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah, but if the snow comes during the day I don't particularly consider it a powder day. Looking at it from the perspective of 8" by the time it opens, or the day after 8"+. 3-4" to start with it and dumping, just light enough that you can still see decently, throughout the day is pretty sweet too.

for whatever reason, I've found the conditions you're talking about to be a bit rare in the east. In my years it seems that the best powder days I've had have occurred skiing the day of the storm when it's dumping hard, not the day after an evening of heavy snow. The big evening snowfall followed by bluebird day seems to occur much more often out west.

guess it's just semantics really though. 8" of fresh snow does wonders for a mogul field no matter whether your skiing through the storm or the day after :daffy: