• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

please help me choose a new backpack!

twochordcool

I have considered getting a "top-of-the-line" ArcTeryx, Gregory, Osprey or Dana Designs...

but, to be honest I don't really have that kind of money o shell out for a backpack -

and I am wondering if it is really necessary -

I have seen backpacks for half the price that appear to be just as strong and sturdy...that even have more features that I like.

I generally go on 4 and 5 day backpacking trips - in the Adirondack wilderness - deep into the late fall / early winter.

I am not obsessed with going super-light - in fact I prefer to take more than I need rather than finding myself many miles into the wilderness not having enough of this or that.

And so I need a comfortable, large capacity backpack, that is strong enough to hold up when it is packed to it's limits.

I also like backpacks with generous side pockets, for easy access to things I need to get ahold of fast - water, snacks, lunch, matches, maps etc.

I have considered the Gregory Whitney because it seems to offer all of the above.

But then I have seen, believe it or not, the Jansport Humbolt 82 and the Kelty Red Cloud 5400 - and these too are equally, if not more, impressive (initially) than he Gregory, for half the price!

Are anyone familiar with any of these packs?

Can you tell me why I should go with one over the other?

Should I avoid any at al costs?

Can you recommend any others?

Thanks a lot in advance!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
my old pack was a kelty for less than $100. solid pack. no reason to buy top of the line unless you have very specific equipment needs. identify what features are important to you and buy whatever fits and is cheapest in that catagory. obviously avoid extremely low quality companies, but definitely no need to buy top of the line.

thetrailboss

Staff member
First, my welcome to the boards! :beer:

twochordcool said:
I generally go on 4 and 5 day backpacking trips - in the Adirondack wilderness - deep into the late fall / early winter.

I am not obsessed with going super-light - in fact I prefer to take more than I need rather than finding myself many miles into the wilderness not having enough of this or that.

And so I need a comfortable, large capacity backpack, that is strong enough to hold up when it is packed to it's limits.

I also like backpacks with generous side pockets, for easy access to things I need to get ahold of fast - water, snacks, lunch, matches, maps etc.

How often are you going to go will help dictate how much you spend...a more expensive bag will have more features, better fit, better materials, better design, and better warranty, but that doesn't matter really if you're only going out once a year or so. Only you can be the judge of how much it will be used and if this is an expense or an 'investment.' Sounds more like the latter.

My advice though is to spend an afternoon at an outfitter such as EMS 'trying on' each bag with weight to see the differences between them. Kind of like shopping for boots...got to try them on.

I have considered the Gregory Whitney because it seems to offer all of the above.

That is my model. :D Bought mine in 2001 on a knockdown deal at EMS. Love it. Nice pockets and fit. Good design. Well built overall, but there is a seam or two that I watch to make sure that they aren't overextended. It is four years old and in great shape. Used it in Europe and in VT. Look it over well before buying. Pricey, so wait for a good sale.

But then I have seen, believe it or not, the Jansport Humbolt 82 and the Kelty Red Cloud 5400 - and these too are equally, if not more, impressive (initially) than he Gregory, for half the price!

I also own a basic JanSport External Frame, 1995 model, Made in US, etc that my GF uses. It also is well built and handles well, but it is an external frame so the design differences do come into play--Jansport does not have as much clearance, etc. It is WELL built and has a lot of pockets for the money. I used it a lot. Nothing wrong with this brand...more affordable, but I don't know about quality after they moved to China for manufacturing :roll:

twochordcool

Thanks a lot guys!

Yeah, the Jansport website lists the Humbolt 82 as an external frame pack - but it sure does not look like one and nowhere else can I find it listed as an external frame pack!

Could this be a mistake on the part of the website?

VERY attractive looking bag - and it looks well built from what I can see. Granted I don't know much about it.

Any other ideas?

:)

ctenidae

I'd go see the Jansport in person. There was a hybrid-type external frame pack that was almost popular a while ago (kind of like soft ski boots), probably 8-10 years ago. Sounds like the kind of thing Jansport might do on a limited scale. Only warning I'd give on Jansport is that they tend to add on cool looking but ultimately useless crap that just adds weight and doesn't function at all. Too much stitching on straps that don't need it, but get the extra heft because they're visible, not the right straps in the right places, because they're not visible, that kind of thing.

I've got a Gregory, too, though I can't remember the name, and it's packed away and I don't feel like digging it out. I like it. Solid brand, not too expensive, not too many useless bells and whistles. I really only have two complaints on the Gregory- the fit is a tiny bit narrow (not enough to notice when trying on, but by day 2 I've got the sternum strap all the way loose, and the shoulder straps just won't sit far enough out. Probably an issue of personal preference more than anything else, but that's why it's my complaint), and the compression straps are really much longer than they need to be. Again, this runs into a personal complaint, because I'm too lazy to cut them and re-sew the ends. I tuck them in instead. Still, an annoyance when they come out and bounce against your legs. The cargo straps underneath, on teh other hand, could stand to be a tiny touch longer. Oh well, c'est la vie

So, my advice: 1)Top of the line is only necessary if you've got some serious need and/or someone else in paying for it. B) Figure out what you really need. Third, try stuff on to get an idea, and see what you can in person. Then go shopping for a bargain.

twochordcool

ALRIGHT!

I think I've narrowed down my search to 3 backpacks, and would greatly appreciate any input from people that are familiar with any of the following packs:

EMS Long Trail II - very affordable ($120!), attractive looking bag with a large capacity and many side pockets (which I like). I don't know too much about it, but I'll be honest - the price makes me wary - Is this a case of "too good to be true"?

Jansport Humbolt 82 - This pack also is a very attractive pack that seems well built and able to carry a large load. I think it can handle more than the EMS pack. At $179 it is moderately priced and makes me a little less wary than the EMS pack.

Gregory Whitney - This is the pack that I have wanted all along but I just don't know if I can justify the price at $329 if I can buy one almost as good for half the price. Granted, it is probably a well-made pack that can be fitted to each person better due to it being made in 4 sizes, but I don't know if I am getting twice as much pack. It too can handle a larg load and has quite a few side pockets.

Now I'll just have to go see them in person!

PS - I was supposed to go hike Mt. Carrigain in the White Mountains today but my father's new wife is a control freak ball and chain and would not let him go!