• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River opening plans nixed for this wknd.

ozskier

Website
instagram.com
Here's the message that I posted at the Sunday River message board. Essentially, we didn't have the sustained temperatures needed for a quality opening, and with the ground being warm anything that was laid down would melt pretty quickly.

Sucky snowmaking weather from Saturday-Thursday also played a role.

Ok folks, here's the word on this weekend... No dice.

We've only got a couple of real short snowmaking windows this week and anything that we put down on the trail will melt due to the ground being too warm. Combine that with the lack of temperatures from Saturday - Thursday and you don't have what it takes to create a top to bottom run with quality coverage.

As of right now the game plan is to watch the weather and make snow when we have a solid chance of getting a top to bottom run on Barkah. The idea from the snow-plan meeting today was an “as soon as it’s good” opening.

Trust me, I'm just as disappointed as you are about the lack of favorable snowmaking weather and the fact that I won't be riding this weekend. Just know that as soon as the temps allow, the guns will be cranking out the good stuff. As you all know, the folks over at mountain ops are pros at opening terrain with record speed and will be busting their hump as soon as temps allow.

Check your email this afternoon for the newsletter. It will be jam packed with the juicy details and PR goodness.

It is a major bummer, we’re all chompin’ at the bit to get out and ride. Just remember that when the mountain does open, we’ll have a pretty quality product laid out to shred.

thetrailboss

Staff member
C'mon Ozzy! You can't do better? :lol: :lol: :wink:

Just kidding.

No, seriously, no surprise considering the poor weather as of late and the fact that the ground is not frozen. As I see it, if this warmth continues for about another week or so it will jeopardize the Thanksgiving Weekend, which is my goal right now.

ctenidae

We're gonna need a bigger can...

pre350.jpg