• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

GSS Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that everyone needs to remember as Greg and DHS said, GSS didn't get banned just for today, but for a multitude of past events that had him basically on what I'd imagine is "probation". Kind of like if someone at works screws up, they get a report in their file, and sooner or later IF they get enough reports and have received notice about it, they're going to get fired. Strong, tough work by the mods!

That being said, I do like Geoff's idea about letting GSS back as the snowguns get turned on and the 1st TR shows up, because his passion for this sport is remarkable and videos like the jib of the couch in the hotel are very entertaining. I'd say and extended "detention" followed by a loss of say 10,000 posts to his post count would be fair.

Lastly I think that Greg should change his signature to "You don't f*ck with 9-11" because in my book truer words can't be spoken :flag:
I am sure there are many persons in prison who are truly sorry but they still are going to serve their time.

wa-loaf

Um, the Constitution applies to everybody in the country, military included. Not being able to speak freely while in the military is no different than not being able to cuss out your boss at work. It's a completely seperate issue than constitutionally enumerated rights.

You give up certain rights when you join the military. If you don't like your boss/employer you can quit. Do that in the Army and you go to jail.

drjeff

I am sure there are many persons in prison who are truly sorry but they still are going to serve their time.

Yes, but from time to time the parole board does grant clemency and early release is granted with many stipulations attached to it (somehow I feel a bit dirty after typing that sentence :rolleyes: )

Greg

Staff member
Very true, but I am still tring to figure out exactly what rule he broke in that thread to get banned.

Tim - as I said before it wasn't solely this morning's comment. He has a long history and as DHS mentioned we get a lot of complaints about him. And as far as your unpatriotic angle, it wasn't necessarily what he said, it was in which thread he posted it and when. If you really want to nitpick, it was a political statement which as you know is not allowed. It can also be looked at as trolling which is also not allowed so he did break rules, and has been warned on numerous occasions.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/announcements-forum-policies/announcements.html

But you have fun riding the anti-establishment bandwagon....

Glenn

Ahhh, the internet forum. It's like opening up your house, and the having everyone hang out and complain about the color of your walls. Then they'll suggest how you should decorate the place...but they're not paying for it.

On a site this size, whoever pays that hosting/server bill every month calls the shots. If you don't like it, there are other sites to go to...or you can ever start your own.

Furthermore, the Constitution doesn't really protect speach on a forum like this. It's kinda like if someone was in your house, called you an "asshole" and you then told them to GTFO. They couldn't call the police and say you were being "mean" and "made the wrong choice."

I honestly think the modding around here is rather lax. I've certainly crossed the political "line" before and I've yet to get a PM...or really much of a warning posted in the thread. And I can't really say I've seen heavy handed tactics employed in other threads. It is kind of funny to see the people go "ga-ga" when a thread is locked...then three other threads start up: "Why was so and so's thread locked?"

I was part of a site that was kind of like the ATV version of AZ. I was a buddies with the owner and I got see the daily BS that went on. It becomes a thankless job once everyone starts complaining all the time.

I guess my only advice here is that if any decision made here gets you that fired up: A) There are a lot of other ski sites out there to populate. B) With some capital and an HTML book, another forum could be started, C)Relax...it's the fawking interweb.

Last edited:

mondeo

You give up certain rights when you join the military. If you don't like your boss/employer you can quit. Do that in the Army and you go to jail.
And you do so by signing a contract. You can sign away rights in the civilian world as well.

MRGisevil

I'm no fan of GSS. But, in my opinion, censoring someone's opinion if you don't agree with it is a dangerous thing. There's a 100 others things that he could have been banned for, I believe this to be a mistake.

This would be one of the reasons why I gave up on this place.

Greg, your mods are out of control. PMing people warnings because they disagree with them? Really? This isn't solely about what happened with GSS, he's just the most obvious case. The fact that it's not OK to disagree with a mod's opinion, or the 'popular' opinion, is ridiculous, and stupid. Moderators should not be warning people for having a difference of opinion. People should not be banned for having a difference of opinion. If 9/11 is such a sore and sensitive subject that a large group of people would be offended by comments made about [it], the subject shouldn't have been brought up in the first place.

It's funny, reading all this. When I went to the mods a long time ago about what I believed to be blatant sexism I was told it was "tongue in cheek" and therefore they weren't going to do anything about it. However, everything GSS says is "tongue in cheek," yet his ban was "a long time coming"? So, kindly explain to me why sexism as "tongue in cheek" is acceptable when GSS's comments as "tongue in cheek" are not. The message that that sends me as a poster is that you [moderators] only care about people's concerns when you [moderators] can personally relate to them. Oh- and if you're all still wondering why this place is "such a sausage fest,"- there's your answer.

I liked this place better without all the bullshit and pretense.

Later AZ.

Greg

Staff member
Ahhh, the internet forum. It's like opening up your house, and the having everyone hang out and complain about the color of your walls. Then they'll suggest how you should decorate the place...but they're not paying for it.

On a site this size, whoever pays that hosting/server bill every month calls the shots. If you don't like it, there are other sites to go to...or you can ever start your own.

Furthermore, the Constitution doesn't really protect speach on a forum like this. It's kinda like if someone was in your house, called you an "asshole" and you then told them to GTFO. They couldn't call the police and say you were being "mean" and "made the wrong choice."

I honestly think the modding around here is rather lax. I've certainly crossed the political "line" before and I've yet to get a PM...or really much of a warning posted in the thread. And I can't really say I've seen heavy handed tactics employed in other threads. It is kind of funny to see the people go "ga-ga" when a thread is locked...then three other threads start up: "Why was so and so's thread locked?"

I was part of a site that was kind of like the ATV version of AZ. I was a buddies with the owner and I got see the daily BS that went on. It becomes a thankless job once everyone starts complaining all the time.

I guess my only advice here is that if any decision made here gets you that fired up: A) There are a lot of other ski sites out there to populate. B) With some capital and an HTML book, another forum could be started, C)Relax...it's the fawking interweb.

Well said, Glenn. And thanks for the support. I've often used the analogy that a message board is very much like a bulletin board in a local grocery store. The store owner (me) and the store managers (mods) have every right to remove something tacked to the bulletin board we deem inappropriate. We could also ban a problem patron from shopping there.

Many of us were enjoying AZ well before GSS found his way here and many of us will do the same now that he's gone. He made me laugh in a lot of ways, and his passion for skiing is undeniable. Nevertheless, it's way too soon to consider a temporary ban. I do know for a fact that if we did that he would shove it in the mod's and my face at every opportunity.

Beetlenut

This would be one of the reasons why I gave up on this place.

Greg, your mods are out of control. PMing people warnings because they disagree with them? Really? This isn't solely about what happened with GSS, he's just the most obvious case. The fact that it's not OK to disagree with a mod's opinion, or the 'popular' opinion, is ridiculous, and stupid. Moderators should not be warning people for having a difference of opinion. People should not be banned for having a difference of opinion. If 9/11 is such a sore and sensitive subject that a large group of people would be offended by comments made about [it], the subject shouldn't have been brought up in the first place.

It's funny, reading all this. When I went to the mods a long time ago about what I believed to be blatant sexism I was told it was "tongue in cheek" and therefore they weren't going to do anything about it. However, everything GSS says is "tongue in cheek," yet his ban was "a long time coming"? So, kindly explain to me why sexism as "tongue in cheek" is acceptable when GSS's comments as "tongue in cheek" are not. The message that that sends me as a poster is that you [moderators] only care about people's concerns when you [moderators] can personally relate to them. Oh- and if you're all still wondering why this place is "such a sausage fest,"- there's your answer.

I liked this place better without all the bullshit and pretense.

Later AZ.

+1 Miss ya Marge! :cool:

Greg

Staff member

Please PM specific instances about when moderators took action because of a differing opinion. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I'm usually at least somewhat aware of incidences as they happen here and I can't recall that this has happened at all, nevermind often.

As far as the sexism thing, I didn't see that as an ongoing trend. And if I recall correctly, we got feedback from other female members who weren't as offended.

ERJ-145CA

Well, I don't agree with GSS's banning for the 9/11 comment, I'm sure there are many that feel the same way as him.

I do agree with the no politics rule, another forum that I post on has a politics section and that's nice because I can ignore it. Before I learned to ignore it I realized that it is just a group of posters some far right and some far left who just call each other names and post lies and half truths to "prove" their position. Before they had the politics section every thread somehow ended up being a political rant, and politics still sometimes creeps into the regular threads. Having a no politics rule like this forum works much better IMO. That thread was politically charged to begin with.

That said I will miss GSS as I frequently found his posts funny. I guess that is why I've been a Howard Stern fan for 25 years or so, it's the same type of humor I guess. However it's not my forum so I'm just voicing my .02.

mondeo

Far enough, But then again a 9/11 thread in itself is political in nature and should have been deleted from the start.
How is a rememberence of the deaths of thousands of people political? I agree that people get political about it, but things like Dork's story and DHS's post aren't political at all. Being a Northeast forum, with a good number of people living or working in the NYC area, there are bound to be profound human and social impacts of that type of event. If I start a Pearl Harbor post on 12/7, should it be shutdown for being political?

Moe Ghoul

The real question on 9/11 after 8 years......WHAT HAVE WE DONE GLOBALLY TO PREVENT IT FROM HAPPENING AGAIN???? All the flag waving in the world doesn't change the reality. That's how we honor their memories. And at this juncture it becomes political. so here's where it ends.

SkiDork

The real question on 9/11 after 8 years......WHAT HAVE WE DONE GLOBALLY TO PREVENT IT FROM HAPPENING AGAIN????

That is probably one of the most difficult questions facing the world today. Not sure if anyone really has the answer.

Puck it

RIP GSS!!!!!!

I think it was in poor taste but people are people. Sh!t happens. I have put my foot in my mouth many times. Bring him back. He apologized. Enough said.

mlctvt

Is he being banned for this one comment? That's just rediculas. I thought it was a little out of line, but I viewed it as a political comment on the stupidity of the average American.
I'm sure that what he was thinking when he posted that too. I'ver seen many threads on this board I considered much worse.

I'm considering my own ban of Alpinezone....

Status
Not open for further replies.