• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do new skis need to be tuned?

Greg

Staff member
RossiSkier said:
I'd get those edges sharpened too. Especially if you're going to Jiminy.
Yeah? Why is that?

RossiSkier

Greg said:
RossiSkier said:
Yeah? Why is that?

Well, with night skiing and all, we know the grooming isn't what the VT resorts have and it tends to be a little icy. No?

Catul

Greg said:
BTW, any CT folks have any good shop recommendations in Western CT? I haven't found one that I'm really satisfied with.

I like Ski Tunes in Simsbury (they're on Route 10/Hopmeadow Street just south of Wagner Ford). The owner (Dave) is very knowledgeable, has been helpful, and doesn't push the wrong stuff in my experience. Worth checking out if it's not too far ... phone is (860) 651-9947.

Greg

Staff member
RossiSkier said:
Greg said:
RossiSkier said:
Yeah? Why is that?

Well, with night skiing and all, we know the grooming isn't what the VT resorts have and it tends to be a little icy. No?
Not in my experience. Conditions there throughout December were very good. Jiminy has some of the best snowmaking and grooming in southern New England and I feel they always offer the most consistent product possible. Most ski areas in New England will have hardpack in the middle of the popular runs. I usually stick to the sides of trails though so that's usually not a problem for me...

Catul said:
Greg said:
BTW, any CT folks have any good shop recommendations in Western CT? I haven't found one that I'm really satisfied with.

I like Ski Tunes in Simsbury (they're on Route 10/Hopmeadow Street just south of Wagner Ford). The owner (Dave) is very knowledgeable, has been helpful, and doesn't push the wrong stuff in my experience. Worth checking out if it's not too far ... phone is (860) 651-9947.
Thanks. I'll check them out.

skibum1321

SKIQUATTRO said:
waxing isnt about going fast, it allows the ski to turn better...i just cant grasp the fact that people dont keep their gear in top shape...mind-blowing.
Just because I don't tune my skis every couple of days out doesn't mean that I don't take care of my gear. Sorry if I don't have the time to wax my skis every time I ski. For standard skiing they say about every 20 times out to tune them. I'm not actually doing any damage to my skis by not waxing them daily so it's not really an issue.

This would be like cleaning and lubing my bike after every single ride. That would just be ridiculous.

SKIQUATTRO

SKIBUM....sorry man, that wasnt directed at you, I know you know skiing and how to tune....it was more aimed at the general public (ya know, the nice car, nice outfit, ski in ski out house types that look good, but their gear is in crappy shape)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
SKIQUATTRO said:
waxing isnt about going fast, it allows the ski to turn better...i just cant grasp the fact that people dont keep their gear in top shape...mind-blowing.
when a ski only lasts two season and you are skiing over rocks all the time, i can't grasp why someone would waste the money and time tuning every week. different styles, different ways of doing things.

DEVO

I wax our skis after almost every ski day. I will also always at least clean up the edges where they get nicked, etc and give the edges a full sharpen after every few days or if they are getting alot of rough spots. Once a season or so I will take the skis in to a shop for a grind.

Not only do I really like spending the time tuning my own skis, but I notice a big difference in how my skis feel if I don't keep them waxed and sharpened. As far as cost, I am able to buy wax from a friend who's a rep so it's really cheap. I set up a makeshift bech in the attic (see avatar) and sometimes get my son involved (see avatar again). If he knows I am working on skis he comes running, "Dad, can I wax my skis?"

kbroderick

It's also a lot easier to tune skis if you stay on top of tuning them--correcting a few dings is a lot easier than trying to smooth out an edge after a week of rock damage. Personally, I hate skiing on skis that aren't tuned properly, because I hate the feeling of being in a position where I know the edge should hold regardless of how firm the snow underfoot is. Without a good tune, really slick snow means no grip, which is particularly scary if you happen to be doing 30 MPH when you hit it.

NYDrew

Just buy the SWIX brick wax in universal temperatures. Cost about $15 each, I wax my skiis frequently and each one of my 9 or so pairs (I collect older skiis to one day build a chair) get waxed twice a season, regardless of if they were used.

To get to the point, I've had my two bricks for 3 years, and will probably have them for many more years to come. You shouldnt be useing so much wax that cost is an issue, even at retail. If you keep your tools, bench and skiis relatively clean, you can even re use the scrapings...which are great because its a much quiker wax job.