• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Good Ski Tuners in South Jersey

Vano

I am looking for a knowledgeable, quality ski tech in the South Jersey area.

I need to have new bindings mounted on a new pair of skis and have some precise tuning done as well. The skis I am getting don't have very smooth bases (manufactured by a very small company) and may need a fair amount of grinding to flatten out.

Any recommendations? I have tried the Ski Barn in Lawrenceville and thought they just Ok.

NYDrew

Smooth is not always the key. You need to define the problem. All ski bases have "texture" which gives it a rougher appearence.

Vano

the bases are convex - thats where the edges of the skis are closer to the snow than the center. The reason for this is that the small ski manufacturer does not actually stone grind the bases of the skis before shipping them out to their customers. The big manufacturers usually stone grind the bases right after the presses to smooth them out.

As far as structure, that is not a problem, I can (and been for a while) structuring the bases for my own skis, as well as waxing them.

The key here is a nice stone grind and binding mount.

RIDEr

Website
www.hobokenskiclub.com
Right now, I use the ski barn in Lawrenceville and can back your issues. Basic requests always go into basic shops, but nobody does it better than yourself.

Maybe consider buying a book and tuning it yourself?

I planned on buying the tuning kits this year, but have zero room in the condo.

Vano

I have been doing home tuning for a while now, but there are two things that I don't do:

1) Precision edge angles. I have a bevel tool, but I always doubt my ability to actually apply the right angle. Just dont get the warm and fuzzies.

2) Stone brinding the bases. Kinda hard to do.