• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

GEAR REVIEW: Volkl 5 Star, Volkl AC3, K2 Apache Recon, Rossignol Z9

Catul

I'm a strong intermediate skier (about PSIA Level 7), 6'2" and 210lbs, just getting back into skiing this season after a 6 year layoff (kids!). I knew I needed new skis so I bought a pair of Volkl 4 Star (175cm) off eBay in early December. I really like those skis, but wondered just how much better the 5 Star and other top-rated skis were, and if I'd even be able to tell the difference at my ability level.

I managed to line up the Volkls I was interested in, and also got a chance to try out a couple of others. This was at Jiminy Peak yesterday, conditions were fairly firm packed powder with some loose powder on the sides and crud on a few runs (from the snow guns). I like carving medium and long turns at medium speed, and pretty much stay on-piste; no bumps, trees etc. for me yet. Here's what I thought:

Volkl 5 Star (175cm): Loved it - everything from it's rebound energy, immediate response, turn initiation to carving on a rail-like feeling! What a blast, this ski can do short, medium or long turns effortlessly, whatever you want. Stay in the sweet spot and it will reward your effort - I loved the "pop" coming out of turns, this is the ski that put the biggest grin on my face!

Volkl Unlimited AC3 (177cm): Same phenomenal edge hold as the 5 Star, but with a little less of that rebound energy - also felt like it was a little more work to initiate varying turns. I did get going a little faster than I should have down one run, and this ski was unbelievably stable, what a great feeling :) In retrospect, I should've tried the 170cm version, that would be the ideal length for my ability and weight.

K2 Apache Recon (174cm): Tried this on the strong recommendation of the shop guy. I couldn't believe that a ski that was so much wider underfoot could turn this well - again, comfortable at varying radius turns and was the best in the crud. However, also lacked the liveliness of the 5 Star, and I felt it didn't have that unflappability of both Volkls.

Rossignol Zenith Z9 (170cm): I'd read quite a bit about this ski and was eager to try it. Turns on a dime, caught me off-guard at first - you barely have to think about turning, tip it ever so slightly and it is in a solid carve right away. Pretty easy to initiate turns, good edge grip and forgiving too. However, I really didn't like what I felt was it's "one-mindedness", it's like it only wanted to make certain types of turns and seemed to almost fight me when I wanted longer/faster GS turns. Didn't quite have the stability of the Volkls either.

To sum up, both Volkls had a wonderful solid feel and were amazingly stable. The 5 Star was the best for my kind of skiing, I absolutely loved its energy. The AC3 would be more versatile in the trees, etc. as would the Recon - I found these two fairly similar overall except for that unflappable feeling in favor of the AC3. The Rossignol Z9 wasn't the ski for me, mainly because of what I felt was less responsiveness to varying turns.

I've already got Volkl's new Supersport S5 (their 2006-2007 replacement for the 5 Star which is now 1mm wider throughout and has the same IPT binding as the Allstar) on order - should be here in a couple of weeks ;)

Hope this helps someone considering these skis, especially from the viewpoint of an intermediate.