• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPad released today

drjeff

Isn't that really your fault for forgetting the correct charger at home? It's not like they sell them separately. Buy a new iPod and it comes with a charger.

This entire general concepts, chargers, is one of the biggest areas of annoyance for me! Standardize the suckers, if not industry wide, then atleast within your own brand! The number of now obsolete charger cords I have stuffed into various drawers/closets/etc around my house is ridiculous!

WakeboardMom

This entire general concepts, chargers, is one of the biggest areas of annoyance for me! Standardize the suckers, if not industry wide, then atleast within your own brand! The number of now obsolete charger cords I have stuffed into various drawers/closets/etc around my house is ridiculous!

That's all...!! Yes, please. I did not get an explanation as to why they "no longer" support the older chargers. Second generation Nano is not that old, either, for crying out loud.

(We won't digress into phone chargers...waaaaaay too many of those around my house. "Does this belong to your phone?" "No, that's like three phones ago...!" ; - )

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
They took care of that. Their customer service is another reason they do so well.

By charging $99 for replacement if the unit was over a year old (out of the year long warranty)? I don't know as though that would qualify for great customer service in my book. Or they coul've just designed a better charging system that didn't kill battery life as quickly.

Also, user replaceable would've been pretty key as well.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

It's getting better. A lot of devices like Creative mp3 players, Motorolla and maybe LG? phones off the top of my head charge via mini USB. If everyone could go to that it would be nice.

bvibert

Staff member
It's getting better. A lot of devices like Creative mp3 players, Motorolla and maybe LG? phones off the top of my head charge via mini USB. If everyone could go to that it would be nice.

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of devices using that interface lately. There will always be companies who insist on using proprietary connectors though, I'm afraid.

dmc

Never had a problem with my IPhone or IPod batteries...
I use supplemental devices to charge on long haul flights or during long days...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Never had a problem with my IPhone or IPod batteries...
I use supplemental devices to charge on long haul flights or during long days...

Despite your good experience, the iPod battery shortcoming was pretty common and fairly well documented. One of my good friends' lasted just two years with regular use and after that he couldn't take it off DC input or it would shut down immediately, so he just used it in his car.

I still don't get what Apple has against user replaceable batteries. Perhaps we should all buy cars with the hood welded shut.

dmc

Despite your good experience, the iPod battery shortcoming was pretty common and fairly well documented. One of my good friends' lasted just two years with regular use and after that he couldn't take it off DC input or it would shut down immediately, so he just used it in his car.

I still don't get what Apple has against user replaceable batteries. Perhaps we should all buy cars with the hood welded shut.

huh.... I guess I'm just lucky.. Cause I've used the shit out of mine for 2+ years.. My IPhone is only 1+ year old.. But it still works fine.

I've heard of battery issues but I always thought it was the early gens... I know if I really need to keep a charge I can shut off 3g on my IPhone..

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I've heard of battery issues but I always thought it was the early gens... I know if I really need to keep a charge I can shut off 3g on my IPhone..

It was, from what I understand. My friend's was a 1st gen iPod. But that's kinda where the discussion started, about the iPod being revolutionary, and well put together. I didn't share that opinion so I provided the battery issue as support for that opinion.

/though I still don't like buying something I can't easily take apart without destroying

dmc

It was, from what I understand. My friend's was a 1st gen iPod. But that's kinda where the discussion started, about the iPod being revolutionary, and well put together. I didn't share that opinion so I provided the battery issue as support for that opinion.

/though I still don't like buying something I can't easily take apart without destroying

ahhhh.... Explains alot..

I've resided to abandon myself to technology.. I don't even work on my cars anymore...

Glenn

Exciting times.... :)

I'm stoked for the new IPhone 4.0... I can get work to pay for it so I'm waiting..

Was checking out a Droid the other day... It's pretty nice.. It's not an option for work however...

You guys run iPhones at work? That's pretty interesting. I always thought of BlackBerry's as the corporate workhorse.

dmc

You guys run iPhones at work? That's pretty interesting. I always thought of BlackBerry's as the corporate workhorse.

yeah... Pretty much anything AT&T offers we can use as long as it has Exchange Activesync to push email and cals...

My old company we used IPhones as well..

Glenn

I never knew that. So your company uses a variety of different phones from the same carrier. Does IT support the phones or is it everyone on their own for tech support?

dmc

I never knew that. So your company uses a variety of different phones from the same carrier. Does IT support the phones or is it everyone on their own for tech support?

Everybody on their own... As long as the device supports active sync for email and calendars...

But - it's super easy to setup an IPhone for activesync..

Glenn

It's all BB's where I work. IT supports them and all that jazz. Same carrier too.

Personally, I like having my own phone...so I can have my personal e-mail on it and any aps I want. :cool:

gmcunni

I've never owned a cell phone. I've thought about getting one but never acted upon it.

pffft, cell phones are old tech.. you want one of the new shoe phones.

shaq_phoen.jpg

dmc

It's all BB's where I work. IT supports them and all that jazz. Same carrier too.

Personally, I like having my own phone...so I can have my personal e-mail on it and any aps I want. :cool:

It's weird... The phone is still mine but my company pays for it now. And will pay for a new one - but i get to keep it if I leave...

I love this company.. For real - they take care of us...