• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gloves or Mittens? Need Help

mschuman88

Hi Everyone,

I posted a thread a while back asking for help on a senior project regarding heated ski gloves. I appreciate all the help I received back then. Now I have another favor to ask. Could you elaborate on if you use ski gloves or mittens. Why you choose to use those? And what you look for when you buy a pair of ski gloves or mittens? Answering these questions will help me with my product design to ensure the highest quality product.

Thanks

SKIQUATTRO

Cold Days....Swany Triplex Leather Mittens
Warmer Days; Marmot Gloves
Spring: Marker Spring Gloves

bvibert

Staff member
Gloves, for the dexterity. I own some nice mittens, but I never wear them.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Insulation qualities have improved significantly in the past 20 years. It used to be only mittens would do the trick, but I am 100% on five fingered gloves. I futz with my boots and other stuff, so the dexterity of working with gloves on is useful. On days when the temp is below zero F, I'll put hand warmers above the knuckles, and that pretty much keeps my hands toasty.
What do I look for when buying? Durability - I like leather gloves a lot. Fit - a poorly fitting glove contributes to cold hands; Size - long enough to cover the wrists. And, silly as it seems, straps that clutch my wrist, so I can take them off on the lift without fear of losing anything.

When you do a study like this, I'm surprised you are not asking for demographics - I would think a shredder has different goals than a skier, a teen different from an elder, a racer, a mogul guy/gal, a little kid, etc. etc. My concern is that the way you are collecting data is entirely random and uncontrolled. What type of statistical process are you employing in your analysis?
I would like to see the summary results of your work.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

57stevey

I use Swany Toasters which are a fleece glove inside a mitt. The mitt has a side zipper so you can stick a handwarmer in (haven't had to use them yet) or your gloved fingers out. Wear the mitts alone in the spring, zip open for airflow, very versatile setup.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
If its cold out, I'm a mitten man. Ever since I was a kid, I've always thought mittens are just plain warmer. And I call BS on the whole dexterity argument. If you need fine motor adjustments, those gloves are coming off just as fast as a pair of mittens.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Depends on temperature. I have both and many pairs. I have Cloudveil Gloves that I use 90% of the time. They are Gore Tex (I think) and heavy duty leather/rubber outer shells with thin liners.

I also have some REI Mountaineering Mitts that are REALLY warm and come out when it is really cold (below zero). The liners are down.

For features: I have idiot cords (either I made them or add them). Pulls for tightening different portions are important. Easy on and off is key. They need to be warm and waterproof. They also need to be durable for holding poles etc.

Euler

I use Kinco winter work gloves. Insulated leather gloves that run about $15.00 at the local hardware store. Treat them with some Snow Seal or Mink Oil and they are as good as any "ski glove" I've ever worn.

For me, as important as warmth is a good waterproof and BREATHABLE characteristic. most ski gloves keep out the wetness from snow, but keep IN moisture from my sweaty hands. The all leather Kincos stay pretty much bone dry all day long.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I use Kinco winter work gloves. Insulated leather gloves that run about $15.00 at the local hardware store. Treat them with some Snow Seal or Mink Oil and they are as good as any "ski glove" I've ever worn.

For me, as important as warmth is a good waterproof and BREATHABLE characteristic. most ski gloves keep out the wetness from snow, but keep IN moisture from my sweaty hands. The all leather Kincos stay pretty much bone dry all day long.

Those are extremely popular with the locals I have seen.

105195L_leather-gloves.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
I believe it with the Kombi statement. It is a new trend. Ski patrollers and others who work at mountains and are rough on gloves use the Kinco gloves.