• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

World Cup

bvibert

Staff member
Its funny when we try to take a game that has worldwide appeal and massive popularity and declare the changes neccessary to suit our tastes. Seems to me, the game is just fine and really doesnt need to be "Americanized".

This isn't pointed directly at you DHS, its just that the sentiment of more scoring/altering the game comes up a ton on sports radio, cooler talk etc. At times it makes us seem arrogant and self absorbed as a nation.

wait, we are......:lol:

Yes, this!

MR. evil

Its funny when we try to take a game that has worldwide appeal and massive popularity and declare the changes neccessary to suit our tastes. Seems to me, the game is just fine and really doesnt need to be "Americanized".

This isn't pointed directly at you DHS, its just that the sentiment of more scoring/altering the game comes up a ton on sports radio, cooler talk etc. At times it makes us seem arrogant and self absorbed as a nation.

wait, we are......:lol:

Agreed 100%

snowmonster

maybe a better solution would be to add an additional line on the field and disallow two line passes as an offsides rule like hoskey? I just feel that in order for the game to gain popularity in the states, additional scoring chances are needed. I look at the play in the Argentina vs. Mexico game with the passing and shooting player being so close to the goal, it would make sense to me to consider that a legitimate play.

I think that would actually slow down the game since that would take away the long pass. No more kick and rush (which might actually be good). The offside rule is not the problem. It's all this diving and acting that's ruining the sport (but that's another topic altogether).

I think the game will gain popularity here regardless of how we tinker with it. There's a whole generation underneath us that's playing the game and actually liking it. I take the Chinese view of development: you don't measure things in years but in generations.

:

Agree. I remember that the MLS tried to Americanize the game. They had the clocks set at 45:00 then counted down each half. Foreigners thought the idea was silly and people here thought it was dumb. MLS eventually abandoned it. I think it only served to highlight how undeveloped soccer was in the country. As it is now, with rules the same throughout the world, the US team is doing fine. By any measure, the team has been doing well.

wa-loaf

Fans_Best_186_maxsize_735_490.jpg

JimG.

Staff member
Dutch looking even better as one of the finalists, 3-2 winners over Uruguay.

Game was not as close as the score may indicate.

My call is for Germany to beat Spain to become the other finalist.

4aprice

Dutch looking even better as one of the finalists, 3-2 winners over Uruguay.

Game was not as close as the score may indicate.

My call is for Germany to beat Spain to become the other finalist.

I only saw 1st half. Both goals were awesome shots. Not surprised Holland won. I just feel it's Spains year.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

JimG.

Staff member
Great team, great game, but the Spanish train still rides. Spain is just so gifted offensively.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Defensively too...they shut the Germans down cold.

Very impressive.

I think it will be a hard fought final...don't know who to pick.

bvibert

Staff member
Yay Spain!

Interesting game, lots of guys getting physical and the resulting yellow cards to prove it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
thought there were too many cards. world cup finals, let em' play.

spain was clearly the better team. Netherlands didn't seem to have much of a plan outside of get the ball to Robben and let him run.....almost worked a couple of times.

.....and actually one of the times, the commentator was saying if he had taken a dive, he would've drawn a red card......that pisses me off that the rest of the world views diving as strategy.

snowmonster

.....and actually one of the times, the commentator was saying if he had taken a dive, he would've drawn a red card......that pisses me off that the rest of the world views diving as strategy.

That worked for West Germany in the 1990 Final.

Dutch strategy seemed to be to mark tightly and hack the Spanish to frustrate their possession game. Thus, the record number of cards. In the end, the team that played less cynically won. Good.