• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Flume Slide Trail to Mts. Flume & Liberty 4.22.06

MtnMagic

Date Hiked:
April 22, 2006

Trails Hiked:
The bushwhack to Liberty Spring, up the Flume Slide, across Franconia Ridge and return via Liberty Spring, plus the bushwhack back to the bike path.

Total Distance:
With bushwhacks, 8.7 miles, which on the trail is normally 10.3 miles.

Difficulty:
Moderate for hiking the Flume Slide Trail. For one who has never climbed this trail, it is challenging to strenuous on extremely steep, open ledges, which are wet, icy, and most slippery.

Conditions:
Spring conditions on the trails and at the summits. No new snow (4.22.06) with a combination of dry sections, water flowing down the trails, mud, and above 3600' hard-pack ice, with corn and rotten snow. However today, (4.23.06) tonight, and tomorrow will see moderate rain and snow accumulation in the higher elevations.

Special Required Equipment:
10 point crampons recommended. Two other hikers *descended* Flume Slide with one using only stabilicers. Geesh!

Trip Report:
Ghostdog and I, members of the Four Thousand Foot Club, met New Hampshire and the Jeneral at the Basin Parking lot East on the North side of I-93 just before 8:30. We walked a short distance south on the bike path then bushwhacked eastward, merging with the Liberty Springs Trail, which is part of the A.T. This saves about .8 of a mile each way that I discovered when exploring the area in 2001.

Our original route plan was the Liberty Spring Trail to Mt. Liberty and an out and back from Mt. Flume and descend the Liberty Spring Trail. Just before the junction of Flume Slide Trail, we decided to attempt Flume Slide, with Jen relating she is afraid of heights and steep ledges. This trail certainly has both with many foot and finger holds and scrambling up the extremely steep, bare ledges.

It was almost a 2 hour walk to the foot of the slide and a full 2 hours, including about and hour in crampons, to climb the 2450' elevation gain in just .7 of a mile up the very steep slide. This was a major milestone for Jen and Brian as they had never scrambled up any slide for so long and so very steep. Most importantly, they had no fear and were most elated! On the trail we met Tim with 10 point ‘pons and Rob with just stabilicers who were about to descend the icy and wet Slide trail. Wow!

At the summit of Mt. Flume, we had a rest stop, took photos, drank water and crystal light, had a small snack, and I gave these brave companions hearty congratulations on their successful achievement to reach the summit by the difficult, slippery, and exhausting Flume Slide Trail. On to Mt. Liberty we proceeded wearing crampons, a few postholes along the way, stopping for a long rest on the summit, eating lunch, pointing out other mountains, and to just soak up the spectacular 360° views.

We reluctantly left the summit for our return to the real world. Down the icy and hard-packed trail with crampons we descended to the tent platforms that had some blow downs and also one on a railing. We looked in the log book and saw that Chickety passed by only two days earlier. She and Posterboy completed GA
->ME during ’05.

The ice was mostly melted at about 3600’ so we removed the crampons, continued on until it was time to bushwhack back to the bike path. I congratulated Jen and Brian for a superb slide climb and reaching their 15th and 16th 4’k summits, with 33% of the 48 completed. Another wonderful day to play in the mountains!!

Last edited:

MtnMagic

Water with bareboots on this steep, smooth, most slippery trail was tough. In January/February, solid ice or snow on this trail with crampons would the *easiest*. For this trail, even that is quite a relative term.

snowpipe

What's your outlook for this weekend 05/20?

I'm hiking Mt. Liberty Mt. Flume this weekend with someone who has never climbed a 4000 footer. It's a day hike but I'm concerned it might be too much for my climbing partner, and possibly me. I haven't been out this season yet.

Do you think there is still snow and ice on the Flume Slide trail? What should we wear? Fleace coat or just t-shirts if weather is nice. If the forecasts calls for rain we will probably just do the Liberty trail and bring rain gear.

Thanks for any suggestions.

MtnMagic

I must say the Flume Slide is *not* the trail to learn hiking on. It is smooth as glass ledge and very, very steep. And there is still snow & ice on that trail above about 3500'

A nice, enjoyable, and safe way is to take the Liberty Springs Trail to the summit of Mt Liberty and catch the views if it is not socked in and rest, eat and hydrate. If you have a lot of time, energy, and gear (like 10 point crampons or even snowshoes, headlamps, lots of food/water, extra warm clothes (and extra wool socks) just in case in your pack, I would continue on to Flume and retrace your foot steps to return. Always be prepared for a sudden drop in temperatures and have wind gear, too. There is plenty of cold winter left on the mountains.

This time of year you'll be slogging in corn/rotten snow, postholing, and finding slippery ice on the trail between the two peaks. It might take you several hours longer than usual with the winter conditions. In a few weeks, the snow and ice will be mostly gone and you'll make better time. Also this weekend, you may expect a lot of water flowing down trails.

Liberty is one of my favorite hikes which I return to often. I've spent countless hours gazing at the 360 degree views. Hope you write a quick trip report so we can read of you adventures. Enjoy!

snowpipe

From Maine originally but down in NY

I'm living in NY now so I haven't seen the conditions in the north lately. I figured the ice was just about gone. I've hiked Mt. Lafyette falling waters trail, Mt. Adams which had a pretty nice climb to it, Baldface, another smooth ledge, and some other presidentials. How does the Flume compare to these?

I will probably do as you say and take the Liberty Springs trail because my girlfriend is afraid of heights and a slick ledge would scare the bajeepers out of her. I don't want to be up and down though in a half a day.

snowpipe

I will def. write a trip report. I just found this site and I think it is great.

MtnMagic

Flume Slide Trail is in the woods, being shaded snow and ice remain. South Baldface and Flume Slide are about equally steep and are steeper than the other trails that you mentioned.

Mounts Liberty and Flume via Liberty Springs Trail round trip is 10.2 miles, an elevation gain of 4,250' and has a summer book time of 7 hours 15 minutes. With snow and ice between the two, add about 45 minutes. Your mileage may vary!

snowpipe

You know your stuff

Thanks, you have been really helpful. I have a good idea of what to expect. It's always fun to explore and go without knowing too much about the trail, but not with someone who is affraid of heights and new to hiking so I thank you for describing to me to what to expect.

Happy Hiking

Greg

Staff member
snowpipe said:
I will def. write a trip report. I just found this site and I think it is great.
Looking forward to it. Welcome snowpipe!

Mike P.

MtnMagic,

Thanks for pitching in & mentioning that Flume Slide is in the woods & will likely be icy in spots this weekend. Not a trail for snowpipe's friend to earn 4K #1

ga2ski

That is good advice you all provided.

My advice is to take your GF up the flume slide, if she can make it, then she is a keeper.;-) My wife and i went up that way in the summer and it was slippery then.