• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

All-Mountain.....Poles?

dl

Website
www.orbtialskiing.com
Hey all - I have no desire to alienate all the forum participants here, so let me ask for some guidance.

I'm working with a company that has developed what we're calling all-mountain poles. I believe the technology is something that many forum members would benefit from or find interesting, especially those with an interest in powder and back country skiing. I'd like to share information on these - what's the best way to do this without pissing people off? Should I talk about them in this part of the forum or the gear section?

Quick background - I'm the founder of Snowshack (www.snowshack.com). I sold the company about 3 years ago. I have been following this forum for many years though I don't post a ton.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Cannonball

I found a pair of Scott poles in 1993. Then I found a pair of Leki telescoping poles the same year. I've been using one pair for lift-served and the other for BC for 18 years. Never once in that time have I wished there was a better technology. So I am really interested to hear about this breakthrough. Go for it.

dl

Website
www.orbtialskiing.com
Thanks Steve. The secret is not in its ability to adjust in length though it can as they come in 2 and 3 section versions. The ability to adjust the basket size on the fly is the real differentiator. With a flick of the shaft, the user can trigger a spring that will deploy 3 PowderBlades so that the pole instantly becomes a backcountry worthy. When you return to the frontside, you simply retract the PowderBlades and you have what looks/feels like a traditional pole.

The poles are from a company called Orbital Skiing - www.orbitalskiing.com. There are two videos on the home page that show how these work.

Bring on the questions.

crank

Question: I have powder baskets on my poles and they work just fine on, well, not powder. So why would I need to shift back?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
For myself, I can't see it being useful. I do a variety of skiing. Early season WROD, to lift serviced powder, to earned turn (sidecountry and true backcountry). I have always used the mid-sized BD basket on my touring poles for all occasions. I have extra big baskets for powder days. Never bother swapping them out even if I will only be touring in deep snow. Only takes a minute to swap out both baskets on both poles but I still never bother.

For this to work on the marketplace, the telescoping device would have to work at least as good as a BD Flicklock (a tall order) and for folks to see a need for a larger than mid-sized basket. I do a heck of a lot of skiing that involves very deep pow in the woods in between groomed trails. I don't think I would bother stopping to adjust my baskets every time I popped out of the woods.

Maybe other folks might think differently. But I wouldn't even consider it and I would definitely be in your target market, I think.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Thanks Steve. The secret is not in its ability to adjust in length though it can as they come in 2 and 3 section versions. The ability to adjust the basket size on the fly is the real differentiator. With a flick of the shaft, the user can trigger a spring that will deploy 3 PowderBlades so that the pole instantly becomes a backcountry worthy. When you return to the frontside, you simply retract the PowderBlades and you have what looks/feels like a traditional pole.

The poles are from a company called Orbital Skiing - www.orbitalskiing.com. There are two videos on the home page that show how these work.

Bring on the questions.

OK, cool, not that I ever worry much about changing baskets. Now tell us about the poles themselves.Construction, material, locking mechanism... Oh, by the way, I thought this thread was about me as I'm an all mountain Pole. :)

dl

Website
www.orbtialskiing.com
Question: I have powder baskets on my poles and they work just fine on, well, not powder. So why would I need to shift back?

The people we've talked to and shown these to like the option to have one basket that can do the frontside or the backside without the need to swap baskets. It won't be for everyone but most that have seen it like it.

Cannonball

Bring on the questions.

Your website describes the inspirational moment: "It was on a heli-trip that Orbital Skiing founder Tom Virostek realized there was nothing that gave skier’s poles the instant adjustability needed to meet the changing conditions. Whether it was traversing across the ridge or picking himself up after a fall, his poles plunged deeply and were effectively useless."

Question: Did Tom go on a heli trip without powder baskets on his poles? It seems like this may have been his problem.

I guess the bottom line for me is that I've never had this problem. My old poles work great in powder and on groomers. If I suddenly start having this problem I hope I can come up with a solution for under $200. It seems like you may be trying to create a perceived need rather than filling a real existing one.

dl

Website
www.orbtialskiing.com
OK, cool, not that I ever worry much about changing baskets. Now tell us about the poles themselves.Construction, material, locking mechanism... Oh, by the way, I thought this thread was about me as I'm an all mountain Pole. :)

The poles are carbon fiber with a tunsten/titanium ice tip. They come in 2 section and 3 section versions. The three section poles have a touring grip (foam down the top of the shaft). We're using a twist-lock to lock in the length.

dl

Website
www.orbtialskiing.com
I just want to know how the trigger mechanism will work. It'll to be bomb-proof if the intention is to use it also in the backcountry.

There's a titanium spring that deploys the blades. When the blades are retracted they site at a 45 degree angle and effectively block the snow and ice from clogging up the system. The blades themselves are also designed not to retain snow. The testing we've done has shown the poles to stand up well in the deep stuff.

Puck it

I think these will be for the beautiful people at Vail. Die hards will not spend that kind of cash for poles that break. I break or bend poles pretty frequently. I found it hard to spend $80 on BD poles.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
One great thing about the BD Flicklock is if you bend a bottom shaft, you can get a replacement bottom shaft on the cheap. I've bent a few lower shafts but never an upper shaft. I am constantly wrapping poles around trees in the woods and its nice just to toss in a new $10 shaft when that eventuality finally happens. With an $180 carbon pole, that definitely becomes a deal breaker.

Tough sell here at AZ as most guys here ski clown poles with the smallest basket possible. :lol:

SKIQUATTRO

I have the Telemark Masters 3pc pole and its aweful, will be looking to get the BD pole...less moving parts