• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow - 12.30.2011

gmcunni

Date(s) Skied: 12.30.2011

Resort or Ski Area: Mount Snow

Conditions: machine groomed man made

Trip Report: Day trip to Mt Snow today with the kids. arrived in Sundance parking lot just after 9:00 AM and got nice spot near the lodge. Inside the lodge was empty. Talked to ticket guy who said it was a transition day, people up for the week were heading home and the weekend crowds were just trickling in. Worked for me, i was expecting horrible crowds.

Conditions were good considering the lack of natural snow. As the day went by anything with pitch got scraped off. Crisscrossed the mountain all day, snow off the canyon lift was nice. Didn't hit the north face but rode up over it late in the day, hard packed for sure.

The only lift line to speak of was the blue bird bubble. with limited trails open the main slopes were pretty crowded. Nitro lift in carinthia was also long but we didnt' wait in it.

was both impressed and disappointed with the bubble lift.
PRO-
  • fast
  • quiet
  • warm

CON-
  • the bubble was coated with ice, we had no view. subsequent rides the lifties were trying to clear the glass but it wasn't working well.
  • lift was stopping a lot today. there was no wind, not exactly sure what the issue was.
  • offloading requires paying attention. the 2 high speed lifts drop you off at basically the same spot and the bubble turns 90 degrees and steers you right to the other lift's exit. plus the bubble and leg rest don't open until right before you get off. fine for anyone who's done it once but noobs beware.

in the bubble
Dover-20111230-00296.jpg

with the holiday crowd you expect to see the unusual and i did spot more than 1 dude sportin' jeans tucked into boots but i was lucky to catch on film an even rarer spectacle, gray sweatpants guy:
Dover-20111230-00298.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow. That's weird. I would have figured that the bubble itself would raise and lower regardless of the safety bar like the one at the Canyons:

canyons_03currents5_trvl.jpg

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
with the holiday crowd you expect to see the unusual and i did spot more than 1 dude sportin' jeans tucked into boots but i was lucky to catch on film an even rarer spectacle, gray sweatpants guy:
Dover-20111230-00298.jpg

Those are the flanel lined carhart sweats, no doubt. ;)

Sounds like a pretty good day considering the lack of snow and holiday week double whammy.

You can ride the lift with the bubble up, can't you?

Glenn

Yes, you can opt to leave the bubble up.

I've noticed the lift seems to stop a lot as well. Last weekend, we opted to ride the Grand Summit. I think a lot of people are falling when unloading.

drjeff

Rumor today was that the snowmaking crew won't be hammering lodge with ground guns during the day with the bubbles running! Kind of weird riding up in the bubble with it coated with manmade wet, base snow -in you got to the top and just your boot area was frosted and you were dry! Bottomline -we need some natural snow!

Newpylong

The 6 Pack got 1 ride from me for novelty purposes and it's been Old Faithful Grand Summit Express ever since. If it's a frigid day it may be another story but the lines are always less on the Quad.

if you think about it, it is pretty awesome to have 2 High Speed options to the Summit. It really helps lapping the front which was pretty damn impossible on weekends before. I wasted half of my day riding the Sundance or Ego tripes to avoid the lines...

steamboat1

Not high speed but back in the day Stowe had a single & double chair run side by side up Mt. Mansfield top to bottom so the concept is not exactly new.

edit: I'm not sure but that double could very well be the Lookout chair which is still in service today only relocated a bit to the left of the main line.

and you guys thought you were old...:razz:

Last edited:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Fixed grips running parallel and/or arriving at the same summit location is much more common. And there are even a few high speeds running next to fixed grips. Blue Mountain as noted by Method9455 may be one of the few in the east along with Mount Snow. I can't think of any others in New England.

steamboat1

Le Massif has 3 high speed top to bottom lifts which although not right next to each other have all the terrain serviced off them accessible by any of them. Two HSQ's (one with a mid station that detaches the chairs, pretty cool) & a HS gondola. A little traversing involved, the top of the mountain is a wide flat ridge & you can get to any of them traversing at the bottom also. Does that count?

Last edited:

mister moose

Stage 2 of the Skyship gondola and the Needles high speed quad both run up each side of Needles Eye at Killington.

oakapple

Stage 2 of the Skyship gondola and the Needles high speed quad both run up each side of Needles Eye at Killington.

Right, but they don't service the identical terrain, the way the two Mount Snow lifts do. Needles terminates quite a bit lower than Skyeship. For comparison: Needles is 3,286 feet long with a 971-foot vertical rise. Sykeship 2 is 5,052 feet long with a 1,342-foot vertical rise.

At Mount Snow, both terminals of the HS Quad and the HS Sixpack are within a few feet of one another.

As others have noted, occurrences of two fixed-grip lifts on practically the same line, or a fixed-grip alongside a high-speed lift, are so common as to be unremarkable.