• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing Magazine Favorite Resort Poll

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i dislike those magazine poles. they are representative of their readership, not of a broad demographic of people. certainly not representative of the hardcore skiers or families, imo. SJ did an interesting thing last year having a 'real' resort poll from the real skiers. fun, but again biased towards a certain demographic. instead of ranking by a biased demographic, i think ski mags would better use their print medium to analyze what makes certain resorts so good for certain people and include a broad range of ski areas both part and not part of their demographic to push new experiences on people.

but that type of reporting doesn't pay for the advertising... so that's why i won't participate. :)

RISkier

riverc0il said:
i dislike those magazine poles. they are representative of their readership, not of a broad demographic of people. certainly not representative of the hardcore skiers or families, imo. SJ did an interesting thing last year having a 'real' resort poll from the real skiers. fun, but again biased towards a certain demographic. instead of ranking by a biased demographic, i think ski mags would better use their print medium to analyze what makes certain resorts so good for certain people and include a broad range of ski areas both part and not part of their demographic to push new experiences on people.

but that type of reporting doesn't pay for the advertising... so that's why i won't participate. :)

Agreed. To do it right one would need to randomly select a sample from the population of skiers. Off hand, I don't know of a reasonably comprehensive enumeration of skiers from which to select a sample. I could come up with valid ways, but none would be cheap. The ski mags strike me very much like like the golf mags -- they're pretty much all fluff and ads; they have about 3 years worth of stories that constantly get re-worked. Overall, I'd rate the instruction in golf mags as AWFUL. Don't think there's much substance in ski mags either. I peruse them cause I'm easily amused, but their polls rating ski resorts are purely and simply popularity contests among those who care to express an opinion. That said, if readers say that resort X has the best grooming and snowmaking in the East, it's probably going to be a pretty nice place if you like pristing grooming and snowmaking. But that certainly doesn't mean it's going to be the best choice for many who participate in forums such as this.

Greg

Staff member
Wow. :eek: Lighten up. :roll: The summer's getting to you guys, eh? ;) It was just meant to be for fun...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
heh, i take my polling seriously. far too many polls these days say they measure one thing when they really are measuring something completely different. i guess i'm just pissy about the political polls and this skiing one may have born the brunt of my anger. either that or i got something against the skiing rags personally. or both! :)

RISkier

Greg said:
Wow. :eek: Lighten up. :roll: The summer's getting to you guys, eh? ;) It was just meant to be for fun...

Sorry, didn't mean to come off heavy handed, but the tone of my post certainly was. I was just taking a poke at poorly done magazine polls. :beer:

thetrailboss

Staff member
The thing that I don't like is how the poll limited the resorts to a short list of choices (perhaps those who advertise???).

I have a lot of good things to say about Sugarbush and Jay, but I had to vote for Burke. This is for where it all began for me, and I had to vote to get them onto the Skiing Mag radar (though I am not sure one vote will do much).

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
The thing that I don't like is how the poll limited the resorts to a short list of choices (perhaps those who advertise???).
You can nominate others:

http://www.skiingmag.com/skiing/travel/article/0 said:
If your favorite resort is not listed, please write your nomination in the space below.

nekgirl

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
i voted for Burke too, so that makes two votes!!!!!!! :beer:

jimme

It's not the off-season jones, just that I think polls by a any major mag. should be handled with some thought. Agreed, with the addition that poll is probably the worst I've seen. Mass. is not there at all and what happened to Hunter, NY and Belleayre, NY? While there is a write in option, those are two major resorts in NY and should be listed. Supposedly NY is the State with the most ski areas and only three appeared as choices?

The best poll I responded to was the ASC email poll about season pass options and prices that was sent out a month or so ago. Based on the six resorts for $349. pass price the results are astonishing. I remember filling in some ridiculously low price for the pass too thinking "that'll never happen".

Polls need to include questions like How often a person has visited. While I had a great week at Alta one season and skied a day at MRG another season and really like the areas, is it fair(?) for me to choose them as my "favorite" when I rarely ski them?

I selected Gore in the Skiing Mag poll because I do love the mountain and wanted to vote for a NY area.

Jimme :D

thetrailboss

Staff member
Greg said:
thetrailboss said:
You can nominate others:

http://www.skiingmag.com/skiing/travel/article/0 said:
If your favorite resort is not listed, please write your nomination in the space below.

I noted this and this is what I did for Burke.

Yes, but one can also "write in" candidates for President, but do they ever win? Rarely.

My point was the ones who were "listed" on the ballot were those that often advertise in the mag.