• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Good Local Bootfitters?

Greg

Staff member
I know Charlie gave me the Email address of a good bootfitter he knew once, and I tried to contact him to see if he could recommend one closer to me, but the Email bounced. I think it's time I consider getting new custom liners and footbeds for my boots. If anyone could recommend one near Northwest CT, that would be great.

Feel free to also use this thread to recommend bootfitters throughout the Northeast so other could benefit too...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Bob Smith's Wilderness in Boston off Comm Ave is EXCELLENT. very knowledgable fellows that fit me right before last season. i had them do my custom footbeds too, very happy with the service and value though just a tad pricey.

Greg

Staff member
Great. Okay. So let's expand on this topic a bit. I have a VERY narrow and flat foot, albeit it somewhat big, size 12. I find it tough to get a snug fit all the way around with stock liners. I put the green Superfeet ready-made footbeds in my Salomon Evolution2 and that helped a bit, but I still find myself wearing thicker socks to compensate around my ankle and calves (Charlie can vouch for my birdy legs ;) ). So can a good bootfitter do a new full liner to make these boots fit better, or is a completely new boot the only option?

ChileMass

Greg said:
Great. Okay. So let's expand on this topic a bit. I have a VERY narrow and flat foot, albeit it somewhat big, size 12. I find it tough to get a snug fit all the way around with stock liners. I put the green Superfeet ready-made footbeds in my Salomon Evolution2 and that helped a bit, but I still find myself wearing thicker socks to compensate around my ankle and calves (Charlie can vouch for my birdy legs ;) ). So can a good bootfitter do a new full liner to make these boots fit better, or is a completely new boot the only option?

And what does this service typically cost (new custom full liner) - ??

jimme

My understanding is that a good bootfitter can get the boots to fit. But that would also be with their guidance in helping select the right boot in the beginning. If the boot is too big to begin with, then they will have a harder time with the fit.

Thick socks are supposed to be a no-no to get a better fit. From what you've described, a boot fitter can fill in the "spaces" to make a tighter fit. If the liner is a few years old with a lot of use it may be time for a new custom liner.

Also, after immediately after removing your ski boots take a laundry marker and outline the trouble spots on your feet. This will give the bootfitter the exact location of your problem areas.

Having tried a bootfitter 2 hrs away from home I can strongly suggest either close to home or close to where you ski often. Depending on your tolerance for pain you might opt for a "comfort over performance" fit. For one pair of boots I made the mistake of saying "performance over comfort" and that's just what I got.

If you're "handy", you might even try some mods yourself. Check out www.tognar.com they have some good information. Also Seth Masia's book on ski tuning has bootfitting info.

Reccomend- VT- Green Mountain Orthotic Lab http://gmolfoot.com/
NY- Albany- Gerrik Steiner- Steiner's Sports http://www.steinerssports.com/

Jimme

CP

2 recommendations that I have personal experience with:

Short drive: Green Mtn Orthodics at Stratton...I forget the name of the shop, but it's right across from Mulligans in the village, upstairs.

3+ hour drive: Inner Bootworks on the access road to Stowe.

I'd hit the one at Stratton. Best damn footbeds I've ever had. Helps that it's a 3 minute walk from our condo, but they really are the best around. I lived a few minutes from Bob's on Comm Ave and I wasn't that impressed with them. I was in there alot for bike parts, camping stuff, and looked at some skis and boots. Granted it's the best place in Boston for outdoor gear, but I'd head north for quality.