• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

12/9 Storm Discussion Thread

polski

Website
twitter.com
NWS BTV as of Fri afternoon:

SOUTHWEST FLOW ALOFT BECOMES
ESTABLISHED OVER THE AREA ON WEDNESDAY AND WITH STRONG TROUGH
MOVING IN...DOUBLE SURFACE LOW STRUCTURE TO DEVELOP WITH PRIMARY
LOW GOING TO OUR WEST AND SECONDARY LOW MOVING INTO OUR AREA. WILL
HAVE TO MONITOR THIS SITUATION AS IT WILL BE A LARGE PRECIPITATION
PRODUCER
AND THERMAL PROFILE STILL UNDETERMINED AT THIS TIME.
INITIAL THOUGHT IS LOWEST 1000 FEET OR SO MAY BE WARM ENOUGH TO
HAVE A MIX OF RAIN OR SNOW AND WILL GO WITH THIS IDEA FOR NOW.
HAVE RAISED PRECIPITATION CHANCES AS SEVERAL PIECES OF DATA
SUPPORT AN EVENT OCCURRING ON WEDNESDAY. COLDER AIR COMES IN LATER
WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY AS LOW LEVEL NORTHWEST FLOW ALOFT
DEVELOPS AND ENHANCES UPSLOPE PRECIPITATION ON THURSDAY.

Josh Fox, Single Chair Weather Blog, as of Fri afternoon:

I therefore am cautiously expecting a big event beginning early Wednesday and persisting into Thursday. I am currently watching the latest and just released information from the European model which suggests a snow to sleet then back to snow type of progression. Such a result would be a great base-building type of event and if the storm tracks 200 miles further south the results could be more incredible with snow in feet and some epic early season powder.

Discuss.

ZYDECORICH

i like that optimistic outlook. lets hope you guys up there get some good base happening before i get to go on a weekend road trip in late Dec early Jan. i got some old friends in Danby VT who keep wanting me to come up and barbecue for them. if the snow is good their bellies will be full. Wednesday storm...the VOODOO LADY is stirring the pot!

polski

Website
twitter.com
We interrupt this thread to bring you serious STOKE

We now resume our regularly scheduled programming

polski

Website
twitter.com
Unfortunately the latest on the midweek storm indicates wintry mix; Josh Fox today hopes for no worse than sleet while Scott Braaten says best chance for all snow or snow/ice is farther north and east (Maine). NWS BTV says ... well,

Could be some upslope thereafter in N Greens/Whites, though, per Josh and NWS BTV.

wa-loaf

a snow god?

The god of skiing. Also a schnapps: http://www.argonautliquor.com/r/products/ullr-peppermint-cinnamon-schnapps

96068.jpg

Greg

Staff member
SNOW
WILL SPREAD ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA WEDNESDAY MORNING...A BURST OF
HEAVY SNOW IS POSSIBLE IN THE LATE MORNING/EARLY AFTERNOON AS STRONG
ISENTROPIC LIFT DEVELOPS OVER THE AREA. AS THE LOW PASSES TO THE
WEST WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...STRONG SOUTHERLY FLOW OF 60+ KTS WILL
USHER IN WARM AIR...RAISING 850MB TEMPS SOME 5-8 DEGREES C. AS A
RESULT...SNOW WILL TRANSITION TO A MESSY MIX OF SNOW/SLEET/RAIN
DURING THE AFTERNOON
. EXACT NORTHWARD EXTENT OF THE WARM AIR IS
DIFFICULT TO PINPOINT AT THIS TIME...BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THE SOUTHERN
3/4 OF THE FORECAST AREA WILL EVENTUALLY BE WARM ENOUGH FOR ALL RAIN

BY 00Z THURSDAY...WITH THE COLDEST AIR REMAINING TRAPPED IN THE
VALLEYS OF THE NORTHEAST KINGDOM. GIVEN THE UNCERTAINTIES INHERENT
WITH MIXED PRECIPITATION IN THIS TYPE OF SCENARIO...SNOWFALL TOTALS
ARE ALSO DIFFICULT TO FORECAST. MODEL CONSENSUS IS THAT SEVERAL
INCHES OF SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE BEFORE THE CHANGE OVER TO RAIN WITH
THE NORTHERN MOUNTAINS SEEING THE HIGHEST ACCUMULATIONS.

Lame. Looks like a deep freeze Thursday into Friday after the rain too. We still have a few days for things to change...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I am feeling really good about the cold weather and the snow at my doorstep this morning. I sure hope even if it rains in the south that it snows in the northern mountains.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Ok Bill I admit I'm a neophyte to this site and would like to know the ULLR background.. please educate me. a snow god?

"Ullr is the god of skiing...Among his many skills, he was the god of skiing, archery, hunting, and was known to be quite promiscuous

As the undisputed master of skis, he often used his skill to escape from foes or track down prey in addition to shredding fresh POW."

It is said that Ullr was such a great skier that he would streak across the sky leaving the brilliant stars as his trails (they obviously had some fine powder days). Though very skilled, Ullr guarded his knowledge closely and refused to show the other gods how to ski. "

Every God has his goddess. The “Goddess of Snow” is Skadi (also the goddess of justice, vengeance, and righteousness, so don’t piss her off).

Skadi_Hunting_in_the_Mountains_by_H._L._M.jpg

Which reminds me - the gods only skied with one pole, so they could handle a weapon with the other. :eek: Another reason not to piss her off!

http://www.ullr.org/WhatTheHeckIsUllr.htm
http://www.newwest.net/snow_blog/article/praying_to_ullr_and_skadi/C458/L41/

Last edited:

hammer

I am feeling really good about the cold weather and the snow at my doorstep this morning. I sure hope even if it rains in the south that it snows in the northern mountains.
Same here...I know we have had cold temps this fall but it seemed like the coldest morning yet when I waked my dog this morning.

Stuff that I'm reading from NWS looks pretty promising for Wednesday...may get NCP south of the MA/NH border (please no ice) but I'm hopeful that areas north will stay all snow.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Same here...I know we have had cold temps this fall but it seemed like the coldest morning yet when I waked my dog this morning.

Stuff that I'm reading from NWS looks pretty promising for Wednesday...may get NCP south of the MA/NH border (please no ice) but I'm hopeful that areas north will stay all snow.
Ooh-la-la. As of Sunday, Scott was onboard with the same line of thinking.

Greg

Staff member
I want this again later this week:

That was some epic early season upslope at the Big K.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
A schnapps unavailable in CT. If anyone wants to ship me some, would be most appreciated. Can be ordered online but at a high shipping cost. ;)

[/B]Every God has his goddess. The “Goddess of Snow” is Skadi (also the goddess of justice, vengeance, and righteousness, so don’t piss her off).

Which reminds me - the gods only skied with one pole, so they could handle a weapon with the other. :eek: Another reason not to piss her off!
How is that different than any other woman? ;)