• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

12/9 Storm Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I am trying to figure out what happened...this week was looking so good...cold and snowy and now 45 and rain?! :eek: What is going on? I know we are "building base," but really, this is getting old...can we just get cold and/or snow?

loafer89

I want to get in some night skiing tonight before the snow goes to @hit and because Mohawk and Sundown are closed it looks like I will be spending some money in Massachusetts.

I still have free tickets to Waterville Sally and Smugglers so I am waiting to see what this weeks weather does to the snow conditions before comitting to drive a few hundred miles.

loafer89

I am trying to figure out what happened...this week was looking so good...cold and snowy and now 45 and rain?! :eek: What is going on? I know we are "building base," but really, this is getting old...can we just get cold and/or snow?

Just wait until the weather pattern does a real 180 next week and the west turns stormy and cold. Maybe we will have spring skiing for Christmas.:evil::uzi:

Isn't today a powder day in VT...;-) I'm looking forward to some spring conditions..better than icy death..

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
+1

Nothing like going from 19 degrees today to 54 on Wed. :angry:

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Isn't today a powder day in VT...;-) I'm .

yes. and tomorrow too!
I'm finding it interesting that the trend now and for the last day is heading back to a wintery event. I have observed that trends in forcast as a storm approaches are indicators of in which direction the weather men are gonna be wrong, because they always are....
forcast for J now....not looking so bad...
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...3632812&site=btv&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en
I bet there will be some good skiing over the next 2 days and I woldn't be suprised if by the time the schnee hits the fan, the weather men blew this one and J gets hammered...maybe Stowe..
my $.02
and here she comes.....rain snow line creeping south???
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?animate=true&location=default

Last edited:

JD

Website
hotmail.com
My optimism seems to be overruled with this sucker. But here's the real question. With then next 2 days off, how far north do I need to drive to get to the "we got all snow" line??? Is Sutton gonna be far enough?

tcharron

Not sure, but I'm hoping for a sudden massive drop in temp in the next few hours. :-D

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
My optimism seems to be overruled with this sucker. But here's the real question. With then next 2 days off, how far north do I need to drive to get to the "we got all snow" line??? Is Sutton gonna be far enough?

Me thinks you need to go more North than that. Sutton is going to be damn close to the snow/rain line IMHO. Canada Enviro is forecasting for a mix to about 40 km south of Quebec City for the next 24 hrs, snow on Thurs. Just go to Michigan ;)
I'm going into my cave.

This weather for Fri/Sat is looking Very Interesting.... :)
Rounding up the virgins now.....

Sutton:
Forecast

Issued: 3.45 PM EST Tuesday 9 December 2008
Tonight:Snow mixed with ice pellets changing to rain near midnight. Snow and ice pellet amount 5 to 10 cm. Wind becoming southwest 20 km/h near midnight. Temperature rising to 8 by morning. Wednesday:Rain changing to light snow early in the afternoon. Wind southwest 30 km/h becoming light in the afternoon. Temperature falling to minus 4 in the afternoon. Wednesday night:Overcast. Low minus 11. Thursday:Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. High minus 5. Friday:periods of snow. Low minus 8. High minus 2.QUEBEC CITY
Issued: 3.45 PM EST Tuesday 9 December 2008
Snowfall warning in effect.

Tonight:Snow. Amount 10 to 15 cm. Temperature rising to minus 3 by morning. Wednesday:Snow. Amount 10 to 15 cm. Wind becoming west 20 km/h gusting to 40 in the morning. Temperature falling to minus 5 in the afternoon. Wednesday night:Cloudy. Low minus 12. Thursday:A mix of sun and cloud with 30 percent chance of flurries. High minus 8. Friday:periods of snow. Low minus 8. High minus 7.

Last edited:

Mikec13

this just in

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTHERN NEW YORK...CENTRAL
VERMONT...NORTHEAST VERMONT...NORTHWEST VERMONT AND SOUTHERN
VERMONT.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT.

LIGHT MIXED PRECIPITATION WILL LINGER THROUGH EARLY TONIGHT
ACROSS THE NORTHEAST KINGDOM AND PORTIONS OF THE SAINT LAWRENCE
VALLEY...WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR A MINOR SNOW AND ICE ACCUMULATION.
THE MIXED PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE TO ALL RAIN WITH AREAS OF FOG
BY MIDNIGHT TONIGHT...AS TEMPERATURES WARM INTO THE 30S ACROSS
NORTHERN AND CENTRAL VERMONT. GIVEN VERY COLD GROUND
TEMPERATURES...POCKETS OF ICE WILL EXIST ON UNTREATED ROAD
SURFACES THIS EVENING ACROSS CENTRAL AND NORTHERN VERMONT AND IN
THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY...PRODUCING HAZARDOUS DRIVING
CONDITIONS.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY.

A COLD FRONT WILL MOVE ACROSS THE AREA ON WEDNESDAY. RAIN WILL
CHANGE TO SNOW BEFORE TAPERING TO SNOW SHOWERS. TEMPERATURES WILL
FALL BELOW FREEZING DURING THE DAY. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE NOT
EXPECTED TO BE SIGNIFICANT...ONLY AN INCH OR TWO IN MOST
AREAS...BUT THE COMBINATION OF SNOW AND FALLING TEMPERATURES MAY
CREATE HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS DURING THE AFTERNOON AND
EVENING HOURS.

A DEVELOPING AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE ALONG THE EASTERN
SEABOARD THURSDAY INTO FRIDAY. THIS SYSTEM WILL HAVE THE POTENTIAL
TO PRODUCE SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF PRECIPITATION ACROSS THE NORTH
COUNTRY. THE GREATEST THREAT FOR SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW
AND/OR ICE WILL BE IN VERMONT. HOWEVER...THE EXACT TRACK OF THIS
SYSTEM...ALONG WITH THE TYPE AND PLACEMENT OF THE HEAVIEST
PRECIPITATION...IS STILL UNCERTAIN AT THIS TIME.

LISTEN TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR LOCAL

The Wednesday thru Monday portion looks encouraging

Status
Not open for further replies.