• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$1M for Mittersill "improvement project"

Puck it

Official I'm not sure. I know I did see something a while back stating that he is a major underwriter of FSC.
I don't think so. He may give some money. He funds the Turtle Ridge Foundation for adaptive skiing. Is this what you are thinking of?

Puck it

I would not construe this as donating or even him being involved.

"Miller's family is still involved in FSC and his Turtle Ridge Foundation annually hosts a sell-out fundraiser fun race at Cannon, which this year had to be cancelled for lack of snow."

skiberg

Bode and his family have limited connection with FSC now and there is no concrete promise to donate $ from him. His relationship with FSC is odd. He is an alum, but he left for greener pastures as would be expected with his god given talent. Its not like he comes back to help coach or motivate kids, ever. However, I don't think he dislikes FSC in any way either. Its typical Bode, he keeps to himself. I think people expect and anticipate that he will help, but I don't think he is quite as flush as people think he is. Many of the FSC parent as well as the parents of Holderness have far more net worth than he does. They don't necessarily need his money to make this happen, but he can certainly help. The money is coming from FSC, Holderness, USSA etc.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bode and his family have limited connection with FSC now and there is no concrete promise to donate $ from him. His relationship with FSC is odd. He is an alum, but he left for greener pastures as would be expected with his god given talent. Its not like he comes back to help coach or motivate kids, ever. However, I don't think he dislikes FSC in any way either. Its typical Bode, he keeps to himself. I think people expect and anticipate that he will help, but I don't think he is quite as flush as people think he is. Many of the FSC parent as well as the parents of Holderness have far more net worth than he does. They don't necessarily need his money to make this happen, but he can certainly help. The money is coming from FSC, Holderness, USSA etc.

Good info. Thanks. I was under the impression that he was a significant donor.

witch hobble

Disclaimer: me and my family are friends with some FSC families, and I know a few coaches too. I think this will be great for them. And I share the opinion with pretty much everybody that the way Mitt has been the last few years(seldom open and generally beat to shit quickly when it is) is a disservice to the skiing public at large.

My concern is will it really free up Gary's, Turnpike, Time Zone etc? If they really move over there, what happens to Ernie's Haus? What I definitely don't want is for the ever increasing sense of entitlement that racers, coaches and race parents seem to have (this is not just an issue at Cannon) to spread even further, with this "gift"! Cannon belongs to all NH residents.

skiberg

I don't see any sense of entitlement at FSC. With that being said, when you literally create and help build the ski area, then build and donate buildings to the ski area, then improve the snowmaking and infrastructure all at their financial cost and energy a little sense would be expected. FSC is Cannon and has been for almost 80 years.

SkiRaceParent

I don't see any sense of entitlement at FSC. With that being said, when you literally create and help build the ski area, then build and donate buildings to the ski area, then improve the snowmaking and infrastructure all at their financial cost and energy a little sense would be expected. FSC is Cannon and has been for almost 80 years.

Did you mean to contradict yourself from the first sentence to the rest of the paragraph? It certainly read that way.

witch hobble

I have great respect for the history and tradition of FSC. They have a legacy to be proud of. That said, any family of means can buy their way in, so the "sense" you mention doesn't always manifest itself in the best of ways among adolescents. Or their parents or minders sometimes.

Smellytele

I have great respect for the history and tradition of FSC. They have a legacy to be proud of. That said, any family of means can buy their way in, so the "sense" you mention doesn't always manifest itself in the best of ways among adolescents. Or their parents or minders sometimes.

It is not just FSC but all similar type race clubs (parents, racers, coaches etc.)

skiberg

I haven't seen the sense of entitlement. I see FSC and the racers do more to care for the mountain than anyone except the state. BTW it's not like FSC is some exclusive club. It's not very expensive.

witch hobble

I see FSC and the racers do more to care for the mountain than anyone except the state.

well...there is threecy. Kidding of course.

This should not be misconstrued as some sort of attack on FSC. It is not. A lot of it is the result of modern American parenting techniques.

SIKSKIER

Here is the latest

Exciting improvements are happening now at Mittersill!
The Mittersill terrain improvement project is underway with Phase I expected to be complete by this winter. This project was first proposed in 2011 by Franconia Ski Club. Through an extensive process of consideration, permitting and fundraising, the project is now taking shape…
Phase I, happening now for this winter:
- Baron's Run, widened to 50 meters, graded, mulched & seeded....
- New snowmaking compressor adding 28% more capacity to Cannon's snowmaking system.
- Mittersill to remain all natural, no snowmaking, limited grooming.
- Skyline & Ridge Run widened by 6 - 8 feet for better skiability and to accommodate future snowmaking.
Phase II, for 2015-2016:
- New Taft Training Slope at Mittersill, 90 meters wide.
- New T-bar to service the Taft slope plus mid-mountain.
- New snowmaking lines on Baron's Run, Taft Slope, Skyline, Ridge Run and new connector trail from top of T-bar to Baron’s Run.
- All other Mittersill terrain to remain all-natural for the foreseeable future.
- Entire project funded by Franconia Ski Club.
This project will also allow us to operate the Mittersill Double Chair with or without natural snowfall and is expected to operated daily when Mittersill is open.
Click here for more details:
http://www.cannonmt.com/mittersill_info.html

See More

Attachments

• mittersillbarons.jpg
    mittersillbarons.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 93