• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2005-2006 Season Video

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
The1JoshuaB: Can you tell me where you are at the 7:45 mark?

I believe that may be some footage from Poma Line at Jay during the infamous broken bone day. Riverc0il ran a sweet line through the powder got some nice air off of a popper :cool: but had to cut the scene short :daffy: :p

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I'm the one in the Yellow and Black jacket in a few on the sequences. I also shot a few on the pics and video of Riverc0il one sweet powder day at Jay in December...the day he broke his arm while we were skiing in the woods between Beaver Pond and Beyond Beaver Pond :oops: .

awf170

I believe reading skills are quite important in becoming a lawyer aren't they Mr. Boss of the Trail?

riverc0il said:
for AZ forum users, awf170, salida, from_the_NEK, greg, jimg, and sledhaulingmedic.

awf170

riverc0il said:
doubt i'll get to wildcat any time soon, not with a pass at jay, free midweek at burke, and cannon right down the road.

Understandable, and I pretty much knew that, but still felt like annoying you. :razz:

riverc0il said:
the plan is to hit cannon when that part of the whites gets a big dump, especially if it misses jay or its a tues or thurs. i may have a pass at jay, but cannon is still home in my heart so i'll definitely head over a few times. can't guarantee i will be riding the lifts though, maybe for a twofer or a big dump :D

I'll be down for hiking at Cannon. If I can't find any comp tickets or discounts most weekends that I go to Cannon by myself I will be hiking, unless it is epic. No way I'm paying $39 for ticket, then $54 after dec. 30 because I'll be 18, I doubt they will ID me though, because I look about 15. $30 for gas is enough for me. Man I wish they had a cheap student pass like Wildcat.

riverc0il said:
i got a few face plants on video, none under the flyer though, heh. i figured at 12 minutes, there was no need to tack on bloppers. quite frankly, five long nights of editing video has me quite spent, lol. i'll get a helmet cam if any one is buying, lol. i would rather upgrade my digi cam eventually than get a helmet cam, footage on helmet cams is often not that great. most clips don't even last 15 seconds in the woods or not. i actually prefer shotting in the woods when possible because it is more interesting and dynamic terrain compared to an open slope. trick is setting up the shot right. i already shot my gear budget for the summer on a gps any ways, lol, so no helmet cam this season, maybe next one!

Yeah, I agree I like wood clips too. But IMO they are a lot harder to set up. If you set up in the wrong spot or the skier skis a different line then the clip may be 8 seconds with half of that being of some stupid tree in your way. You clips didn't seem to have that problem in the video, but I bet there are plenty bad ones you didn't use. Remember those woods off of jet that we traversed way out to, those wood be absolutely perfect for filming.
About helmet cams, for other posts it seems like you don't really like them. I love them. Sure the quality isn't the greatest, and you feel kind of sick after watching them, but IMO nothing else gives you the feel of the terrian like one. Also the amount of footage you can get in 15 minutes with a helmet cam will take 5 hours with regular footage. Check out this video from Stowe.

http://www.angrywhelk.com/shinjuku/moving files/ecmini head cam.mov

GPS? Why on earth do you need that?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Joshua B said:
Neat! Thanks for sharing that! I wonder if the first third could have been edited down to remove the skier's moments of hesitation.

I personally got too motion sick to get through it :puke: , but the Meatheads clips are cool....

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
from_the_NEK said:
That picture came out pretty good ;-) :smile:
yup, from_the_NEK takes some quality shots and that one is all his. cheers man, great shot and thanks for the avatar ;)

from_the_NEK said:
Riverc0il ran a sweet line through the powder got some nice air off of a popper :cool: but had to cut the scene short :daffy: :p
the full scene will make the bloopers video. i'll try to have that out next weekend. :smile:

awf170 said:
I'll be down for hiking at Cannon. If I can't find any comp tickets or discounts most weekends that I go to Cannon by myself I will be hiking, unless it is epic. No way I'm paying $39 for ticket, then $54 after dec. 30 because I'll be 18, I doubt they will ID me though, because I look about 15. $30 for gas is enough for me. Man I wish they had a cheap student pass like Wildcat.
if its a powder day at cannon, the lift is the only way to go. i'll gladly pop up $54 bucks for a cannon powder day. but i am going to try to keep my cannon days this season on tues and thurs for the twofer. non-powder weekends would be hoofing, but then again, most non-powder weekends will be jay.

You clips didn't seem to have that problem in the video, but I bet there are plenty bad ones you didn't use.
not really, i used pretty much everything i had. woods shotting isn't bad, you just have to position yourself correctly and know where the skier/rider is going. people ski slower in the woods, so any shortness of distance is usually more than made up for by slower speeds. i enjoy shooting in the woods more than on open slopes with exception of something like the hillmans shots where it is so open.

About helmet cams, for other posts it seems like you don't really like them. I love them. Sure the quality isn't the greatest, and you feel kind of sick after watching them, but IMO nothing else gives you the feel of the terrian like one.
if the camera is setup right and the skier/rider is facing/looking the right way, yea, helmet cams can be cool. most of the time, this is not the case. i can think of only two helmet cam vids i have ever seen that i really enjoyed. the huck at mansfield in born from ice was really sick, that was a quality shot. and there was that recent chute video, can't remember the name but i think it was posted on T4T, that was good. i just find them generally annoying. i think i could probably set it up right and shoot some decent stuff with one, but for the price? TOTALLY not worth it, i would rather upgrade to a better cam for the same price.

GPS? Why on earth do you need that?
heh!!! :cool: no one "needs" a GPS.

BeanoNYC

Great job Steve. I can tell you put a lot of work into it. I don't think it had too many stills. The Ken Burns effect on the stills with the transitions in between makes it seamless.

Greg

Staff member
Really really cool video, Steve. I was happy to take some of the footage for you. I love setting up for shots and stuff; sometimes I feel like I'm slowing others down by asking them to let me ski down and take some pics/vid, or to ask them to take pics of me. After seeing this and all your pics/videos from this season, I'll be happy to help you get more footage next season.

Speaking of...:

riverc0il said:
speaking of next season, i am seeking any one interested in being filmed for a video and helping shoot some film........keep in touch next season if you are interested. this is only my first season doing this, but it is quite addictive and can only get better with more shots, better setup, and a lil' more pow!

Count me in definitely. We're pretty separated geographically, and rarely get to ski together, but if we get the chance next season, have that cam in hand and I'll definitely take tons of vid for you. I'll let you know when I'm in the MRV or I'm sure you'll know if I make it up to Burke. We talked about documenting a Killington opening last season, but the pseudo-K opening and then late actual opening just didn't work for me. If they propose an opening and it materializes I'll be there, as will many other AZers I'm sure. If the Berks get hit next season and you aim for Greylock and want to hit Berkshire East under some good conditions, I'm there. I'd ike to get to Magic and Cannon next season so those are other options. I'll keep you posted...

Great job! :spread: :daffy: :beer:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
thanks, sounds good. kmart early season is probably out for me unless there is nothing to hike to. i have heen there and done that and would rather be earning a single run than doing the rat race for $38 or what ever. probably won't get to magic either unless they get something good that misses up here, it happens. we discussed a bush thing some time ago, hopefully i can get down to the bush this season and hit up the rock. of course, i am always down for burke or cannon if you can make it to either. thunderbolt is on the definite list for this season pending snow. i'm sure we'll be able to hook up for turns somewhere and sometime, keep me posted on when you are heading up!

Jonni

Every video that I watch of Steve's is excellent in every way, and this one was no different. Watching those vids is very empowering to me everytime I watch them. Great Job on it, and we'll look forward to a memorable and long lasting upcoming season!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
thanks again for the positive feedback.

thaller1, i use SpeakEasy.net for hosting (GREAT service if you are looking for an ISP with VoiP. they don't offer DSL in VT where i moved to, but i kept them on as web host even though they are an expensive web host because their service is so great) and i use pinnacle studio 9 for video editing.

Greg

Staff member
I've been rewatching this vid once a day for the past couple. Thanks again Steve!