• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2012 Boating Thread

4aprice

Weekend weather from this vantage point looks good. If so Saturday will be launch day:).
Looking forward to some water skiing and rafting parties in the cove. Was up at CSC for Mothers Day and took a ride by Lake George on the way home. What a beautiful lake. Looking foward to a long weekend up there later in the summer. I love LL (Lake Life).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ctenidae

Currently debating relative merits of sailboat vs powerboat. Sail is tough with a 6 month old and a nervous wife, so may have to bite the bullet and go power. Question then becomes what to do with the sailboat, since i'd rather keep it, but don't have space for both, unless I can convince the wife to spring for winter dry storage.

It's all very complicated. And expensive...

4aprice

Currently debating relative merits of sailboat vs powerboat. Sail is tough with a 6 month old and a nervous wife, so may have to bite the bullet and go power. Question then becomes what to do with the sailboat, since i'd rather keep it, but don't have space for both, unless I can convince the wife to spring for winter dry storage.

It's all very complicated. And expensive...

Biggest question I would have is where are you going to use the boat. If I were on the ocean I would probably go sail but for the lakes power is better. Sailing is a sport, powerboating is a recreation.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...67770622.48971.100001137621638&type=3&theater

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Hawkshot99

Ive been out on Candlewood in CT 3 of the past 4 weekends already. I sure do get some weird looks from people as I am being whipped around on the tube. The water isnt THAT cold..

4aprice

Ive been out on Candlewood in CT 3 of the past 4 weekends already. I sure do get some weird looks from people as I am being whipped around on the tube. The water isnt THAT cold..

Lake George wasn't too cold when I waded in yesterday. Little ice this past winter means we can probably ski pretty early this year (like Memorial Day Weekend).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

xwhaler

1st cruise of the season yesterday...launched Pierce Island (Portsmouth NH)
Spent a few hours on the Piscataqua, ducked into Little Harbor for a couple cold beers.
Very few boats out, didnt get sunny until late afternoon when we were back home on the deck.

17' Boston Whaler Montauk running a 90 HP 2 stroke Johnson

I'm out there nearly every wknd in the summer (great bay all the way out to the shoals and everywhere in between) so if anyone else on an AZ'er and a boater give a shout.

ctenidae

Biggest question I would have is where are you going to use the boat. If I were on the ocean I would probably go sail but for the lakes power is better. Sailing is a sport, powerboating is a recreation.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...67770622.48971.100001137621638&type=3&theater

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Long Island Sound, around Norwalk, so coastal running, going to islands, etc. We'll have the boat on a mooring in water that gets down to about 2 feet at low tide, so size is a huge limter on the sailboat- has to be a shallow draft centerboard boat, which by definition isn't all that stable for a 6 month old.

Geoff

Long Island Sound, around Norwalk, so coastal running, going to islands, etc. We'll have the boat on a mooring in water that gets down to about 2 feet at low tide, so size is a huge limter on the sailboat- has to be a shallow draft centerboard boat, which by definition isn't all that stable for a 6 month old.

A catboat is a shallow draft centerboard boat and is plenty stable. My Marshall 22 has 2000 pounds of lead ballast. Double reefed, I can go out in just about anything. I draw 2 feet. An 18' Sanderling is a little easier to deal with. It's 8' wide so it's trailerable without having to deal with wide load permits. It has an outboard motor so you can control it in reverse (my Marshall 22 with an inboard is "challenging" in reverse).

Hawkshot99

17' Boston Whaler Montauk running a 90 HP 2 stroke Johnson

Pics? Here is my 65' 17ft Currituck with a 90hp Johnson.
downsized_0826111646.jpg

Mpdsnowman

Ive always said the i/o is nothing more than a modified car engine but an outboard...now there is a nautical marvel! 4 strokes are coming along nicely but for power and turning nothing really beats the 2 cycle.

Here is my rig. 1984 23 ft proline center console dual hull, self bailing with a 220 gallon inboard gas tank and full canvas and a 200 v6 vro johnson engine on it. Purrs like a kitten and lives off nothing but 93 octane....for the past 23 years now.

26226_1123650469369_1770336031_238642_4429878_n.jpg

216478_1018959812168_1770336031_43096_3789048_n.jpg

WakeboardMom

Looks like the big boat won't go in the water here this summer. Winter project never got completed, so the Baja will probably stay on the trailer. That's likely the fate of the 13-foot Whaler as well. It's in need of having the seats and trim re-done (again); and now that we have no young 'uns using it, it's probably time to get it ready for the grandkids.

The kids have had the wakeboard boat in (and out) for several weeks; and they've actually been out doing their tricks attired in wetsuits. It was a splendid day for that yesterday.

We usually alternate putting in the Zuma or the Tanzer, but it's likely they'll probably both go in this year. We have a rental property and we allow those folks to take the Zuma.

My son's been out on the paddleboard, but I'm not allowed until the water warm's up a bit. Kayaks have been on the water already as well.

skiNEwhere

Beat me to it, 4aPrice!

Just start a thread for the season. Call it Kayaking 2012 or The Kayaking Thread or something. This has happened for golf the last few seasons.

And for the record, can't freaking WAIT to get our boats in the water. Waiting for the lakes to warm up a touch more, though.

I got a Mamba 8.5, what kind of boat do you have?

Riverc0il, I think if you get a wetsuit and drytop you should be alright, i got both for under $300

4aprice

Lots of fun today. Had to run for it as the gods started throwing lightning bolts around. Nasty storm came up quick with lots of streek lighting and some close strikes after we got back to the marina.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

mattm59

Website
community.webshots.com
after 40 years

of sailing, I sold my Newport 28 last year. Kept her in Old Saybrook for years, until the silt affected the 5.5 foot draft, then went to New London. Started to lose interest, expensive, time consuming, wanted to pursue other things. Sold 6 boats last year, rigid inflatable, sailing dinghy, BlueMoon, 2 c1's and a squirtboat. Now I'm down to 6 canoes and things are easier....time for concerts and mountain biking and oh yeah, ww canoeing.

Had some fun times though. One year we hit Block Island 7 times. Started to go to Montauk though, 'cuz the damn jellyfish got more invasive.
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560093162iAVBYi

ctenidae

With the 6 month old, sailing doesn't look too promising this year, so we're looking at power boats.

Got my eye on a 2011 Sailfish 22 foot dula console- anyone have nay experience with Sailfish boats? Seems liek they have been mostly making larger center console offshore fishing boats.

4aprice

Water's swimable:p Yesterday was a great day on the water but now that the Holiday weekend is over its time to start my 2nd ski season. The ski's go on the boat this week:beer:

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ