• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

22/23 Passes

zyk

Going with the NYS 3 in 1 again next season.

Debating getting a Plattekill pass again or saving that money and getting the Killington 365 pass instead of the K midweek. Getting the IKON base pass with the 365 is pulling me in that direction. It'd be nice to ski Sugarbush again.
Same here but maybe gore midweek only. Haven't skied a weekend in more years than I have fingers and toes. Maybe a Plattekill value card if they still offer that. Could add a Killington spring pass but gore is going late this season. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

abc

When Ikon was first released 4 years ago it had access to 23 resorts. Now it has access to 50 destinations. Even Sugarbush was only 5/7 days on the pass a few years ago before Alterra purchased them and it became unlimited. But all these additions don't justify a price increase?
Not if you're still only skiing a few of the "original" 23 resorts.

Just saying... Why must I pay more for other people's wider choice? I just want to ski a lot of days in a few limited mountains.

machski

Ikon pass goes up about 7% per year. Four years ago, you could use the base pass to go to Alta, Aspen, JH, but now you have to upgrade to base pass plus. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure seems like the renewal discount went away sooner this year. So, yeah, at least with the base, the price has increased while offering less. The base pass is becoming sort of irrelevant, I guess you just take the plunge and go full Ikon. But I'm just not ready to pay $1K for a pass. And it has to be said that the Ikon Session pass is crap.
You need to remember that the Ikon pass has many more "partner" resorts that are not owned by the pass company than Epic. And actually, Ikon has been gaining partners as Epic has lost them (A-Basin first and now Sun Valley and Snowbasin. All of which are now Ikon partners in some fashion). Altera is driving some of its own areas off the base to base +, but most of those you noted are partner resorts trying to meter their own area's guest experiences. Vail owns every IS area on it's pass now except Telluride and honestly doesn't seem to care about guest experiences as much. Telluride is quite restricted on the lesser Epic products.

KustyTheKlown

You need to remember that the Ikon pass has many more "partner" resorts that are not owned by the pass company than Epic. And actually, Ikon has been gaining partners as Epic has lost them (A-Basin first and now Sun Valley and Snowbasin. All of which are now Ikon partners in some fashion). Altera is driving some of its own areas off the base to base +, but most of those you noted are partner resorts trying to meter their own area's guest experiences. Vail owns every IS area on it's pass now except Telluride and honestly doesn't seem to care about guest experiences as much. Telluride is quite restricted on the lesser Epic products.
epic also partners with resorts of the canadian rockies (fernie, kicking horse, etc). but yep, spot on

KustyTheKlown

i dont like starting new threads, so im gonna call this ikon pass related.

winter park major expansion including surface lift to the cirque and gondola from town to base

new acreage would make it 3rd largest ski area in co behind vail and steamboat. so ikon has two of the three largest.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This final weekend of April, the ikon passholder has three options, offering six lifts. The epic passholder has zero options.
Assuming that said passholder has days left at two of those three (though SB is not a bad option at all).

And Vail has never been about the late season.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Actually I was at a water park in Florida on Monday and it very much reminded me of Vail operations. Half the slides were closed with no obvious advertisement of such on the way in nor reduction in price. Food service was understaffed, slow, barely edible and ski area priced. It cost $44 for 2 lunch combos with soft drinks.

I'm in no hurry to return there just like I'm in no hurry to give Vail my business again

thetrailboss

Staff member
Perhaps Vail has never been about skiing? ;)

Perhaps it's all about Disney on snow?

(actually, I have no problem with that. I like Disney. Had an annual pass the year I lived in Florida)
Vail, like other publicly traded companies, are about shareholder return. That's it. And in a tough business that means skimping on a lot of things to make those "Wall Street expectations".

abc

Vail, like other publicly traded companies, are about shareholder return. That's it. And in a tough business that means skimping on a lot of things to make those "Wall Street expectations".
Yet, for Vail, "Wall Street" didn't respond too kindly on those report of poor customer experience.

jaytrem

Big Snow indoor skiing is selling a pass that's good from their Memorial Day weekend reopening until Sept 30th. Price is $749.99. Kinda crazy for 4 months. But I guess if you enjoy the terrain park you can get your money's worth. I have a couple tickets left on our 6-packs, might pick up another at some point.

Also trying to decide what to do for the kids. They're in 5th grade next year, so lots of "free with admin fee' stuff is available for them. Might skip the Indy Pass for them. They already have Epic, we're somewhat of a Mount Snow captive audience. North Face doesn't ever seem to have lines anymore, so it's not a terrible situation there.

JimG.

Staff member
Bump.

Decided on a Killington 365 pass this season I think it's a great deal with the included Ikon base pass. Will likely go with a Belleayre only pass this season for close to home skiing.

Decided back in May to forego the Plattekill pass this season to help pay for the 365. Scotty sent me a link today reporting that the control shack for the double suffered a lightning strike and burned down. Hope Platty can get that lift up and running for the coming season. That's a brutal hit.

Scotty says hello to everyone.

thebigo

Bump.

Decided on a Killington 365 pass this season I think it's a great deal with the included Ikon base pass. Will likely go with a Belleayre only pass this season for close to home skiing.

Decided back in May to forego the Plattekill pass this season to help pay for the 365. Scotty sent me a link today reporting that the control shack for the double suffered a lightning strike and burned down. Hope Platty can get that lift up and running for the coming season. That's a brutal hit.

Scotty says hello to everyone.
Never met scotty but always enjoyed his posts, hope he is doing well.

K was open somewhere around 6+ weekends more than anyone else in the east last year, massive differentiator. Local pass plus K and Ikon should be a good season.

K would be a perfect second pass for us if they offered a product similar to boyne bronze. K and SR are both two hours for us. Problem for a family of four is the $1,000 base K pass, works out to the same price point as boyne bronze with K spring.

jimmywilson69

LOL where did you quote this from? I was trying to find the post(s) to get some frame of reference and I didn't find it. I only went back to page 6 because I didn't care that much :ROFLMAO: