• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Abandoned, Removed, Unused and Unlisted trails. What mountains? What trails? How to Find them?

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Thought Wilson's was the powerline off the summit of ragged, above easy winder, not on pinnacle? Taking a look at old maps, was removed around 20 years ago.

View attachment 56546

I thought the "Big Rock" part of the Ragged complex was the Pinnacle Peak section of the mountain. I guess you're saying that it's not. Regardless, it is abandoned.

machski

Skied it many times.
Before it was ever thought of (by Skip and Burt).
Took a few sleds down it too. No fun at all

Came off the official trail count when it was the lone trail keeping them from claiming 100% open
Great views from over there 👍
Skied it several times, really only "good" if we got a big, dense dump of snow. If it was too dry, best to avoid that or take pure rock skis.

thebigo

I thought the "Big Rock" part of the Ragged complex was the Pinnacle Peak section of the mountain. I guess you're saying that it's not. Regardless, it is abandoned.
Big rock is not abandoned. I skied it last year, along with mikeys, also skied cabin fever this year. All three, along with easy winder, are natural snow only and rarely open.

Pinnacle is the peak beyond easy winder. It was cut with the plan of using EB5 money to develop; development stalled when the EB5 program imploded. Pinnacle belongs in a different category of never realized expansions.
Screenshot_20230205_085543_Chrome.jpg

Think Wilson's was the top part of the power line to the cell tower. Still there but with a sign that says something along the lines of 'this in not a ski trail'.

Screenshot_20230205_090103_Maps.jpg

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Big rock is not abandoned. I skied it last year, along with mikeys, also skied cabin fever this year. All three, along with easy winder, are natural snow only and rarely open.
I wasn't clear in posting. I said Wilson's (not Big Rock) was abandoned (which it is), but erroneously thought that Wilson's was on Pinnacle Peak.

Thanks for that clarification.

Kevin Schultz

One way of doing this systemically is to look at old trail maps. skimaps.org seems to have most resorts going back quite a ways.

Someone mentioned a couple trails at Mountain Creek (formerly Vernon Valley / Great Gorge). If you compare the 2022-2023 trail map to say 2005 it's easy to see where the trails used to be.

Attachments

• 2005.jpeg
    2005.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 38
  • 2022.jpeg
    2022.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 36

cdskier

One way of doing this systemically is to look at old trail maps. skimaps.org seems to have most resorts going back quite a ways.

Someone mentioned a couple trails at Mountain Creek (formerly Vernon Valley / Great Gorge). If you compare the 2022-2023 trail map to say 2005 it's easy to see where the trails used to be.
Wow...they've really reduced Granite Peak to almost nothing. I knew they had eliminated Pipeline, but didn't know they also eliminated Granite View. And I'm pretty sure if you go back to even older trail maps from the actual Vernon Valley/Great Gorge days you would see at least another trail that was also eliminated from Granite Peak over the years.

Kevin Schultz

Wow...they've really reduced Granite Peak to almost nothing. I knew they had eliminated Pipeline, but didn't know they also eliminated Granite View. And I'm pretty sure if you go back to even older trail maps from the actual Vernon Valley/Great Gorge days you would see at least another trail that was also eliminated from Granite Peak over the years.
Stuart Winchester interviewed the Mountain Creek GM and he said something like ski patrol never wants to bring Pipeline back because of the injuries / fatalities they had on it. It did sound like they may revive Granite View with new snowmaking at some point. They're actively trying to get the trail that used to lead to the triple back because they are considering a high speed lift there.

SteezyRob

Rat at MRG but it's pretty short and really just a fun little loop for kids.
The line next to Upper Giant Killer at Pico. Not a trail, but looks interesting (an abandoned poma line?)
The Coppermine trail at Cannon is certainly abandoned. Anyone have something I can read on this? I am interested.

zyk

Rat at MRG but it's pretty short and really just a fun little loop for kids.
The line next to Upper Giant Killer at Pico. Not a trail, but looks interesting (an abandoned poma line?)
The Coppermine trail at Cannon is certainly abandoned. Anyone have something I can read on this? I am interested.
Pico poma line... That poma was something to ride. Bet the line s great. Snow ridge has an abandoned t bar line. Several years back the t's were still hanging. Made for a crazy sort of slalom.
Not sure if there as still there.

KustyTheKlown

Poma Line is widely known and obvious just looking at pico. It’s a great ski when there is good snow. Be careful for the old foundation cement blocks thruout. Woods skier’s left of poma line also skiable.

ceo

At Sugarloaf, there's a short section of Widowmaker that was bypassed when the old T-bars were replaced. It's almost completely grown in, however. Pity, because there was an awesome jump on that stretch that I loved going over as a kid. https://goo.gl/maps/P9MrC94zsByzC4PHA