• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

advice for a trip out west next winter

SKIQUATTRO

park city, ut or steamboat, co....been to both, both excellent skiing and town (night life) and easy to get to

tirolerpeter

Utah

Check this out. My buddies and I are going to SLC the second week of January. Round trip on Jet Blue is $206.90 each (JFK to SLC) This is a special fare running on Jet Blue's website right now. We are staying at the Best Western Cottontree Inn in Sandy. They have a Mogul Skiers Special that is $178/day for two people including taxes. This is a room with a refrigerator, and microwave. The hotel has free internet access (either to your own laptop, or use the one in the lobby). They have an indoor pool, and a nice hot-tub that is open 24 hours a day. This price includes a full hot breakfast (eggs, sausage, bacon, waffles, etc). It also includes two lift tickets per room/day to Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brightton, or for a small charge the Park City areas. The lift tickets include free UTA bus transportation to the ski areas daily. The hotel is a short walk from a number of restaurants that help you avoid paying resort prices. You can also take the "light rail" (trolley) up into Salt Lake where you can access any number of great restaurants and pubs. I have skied out there for the last five years, and am going again the second week of January. You can't beat it for the money. BTW, the snow is AWESOME! Last December we caught a 49" dump of "Champagne Powder." It has to be experienced to be believed. No, I don't work for anybody in SLC, but I am planning to move out there next summer so that I can ski for ten months of the year. Ain't retirement great?[/b]

tirolerpeter

Utah

BTW, the Best Western is located just off I-15 and is only about 12 - 15 miles from each of the Little and Big Cottonwood Canyon ski areas. Short of staying up on the mountains themselves, you can't stay much closer to the ski areas then here. They also provide a free shuttle to and from the Airport. What are you waiting for?

Npage148

OH WOW, that best western is def where i will be staying. That is a good deal. Thanks for the wonderful tip! thumbs up

RISkier

tirolerpeter,

Thanks, that's a great tip. Was planning to go to Aspen cause a family member offered free lodging. Long story but they quit their job and moving -- no more free lodging. Been looking at other options and staying in the Sandy/Midvale area certainly appears far less expensive than most stuff I've looked at. The Best Western Cottontree in Sandy sounds like a great option. It also looks nicer than places like the Extended Stay.

tirolerpeter

Utah

Call the hotel directly and ask about deals for ski/stay packages. I have stayed at the Sandy location, and also at their location north of Salt Lake in Bountiful. Another nice place we have used is the Country Inn & Suites in Bountiful (They also offer skier specials). The Bountiful location puts you closer to Snowbasin and Powder Mountain. The Sandy location gets you a direct shot into L/B Cottonwood Canyons. Both locations are equally accessible to Park City areas. The trolley however does not extend to the north if you are looking to use it. We always rent right at the airport. There are a "million" cheap car rental deals to be had from there. The cheapest are the "off airport" locations (they do not charge the "airport recovery" tax of 10%/day) and it only takes a few minutes on their shuttles to get from the airport to their rental locations. When I go with just one person, I always book the cheapest, smallest car, and then manage a free upgrade right at the counter. While we go to ski, not party, Salt Lake has plenty of dining and entertainment options. Lots of luck guys