• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alta Eliminates "Free After 3pm" Promotion: $10 Ticket Now Required

thetrailboss

Staff member
For those that have skied Alta or visited Utah know, Alta has run a long-time policy that the Sunnyside, Albion, and Cecret Lifts were free to all after 3pm, any day of the week. Alta just announced that they are getting rid of this program and will require folks to buy a ticket:

The overwhelming success of Ski Free after 3 has led us to make an adjustment to this program.

Starting Wednesday, February 15th, our Ski Free after 3 program will switch to Ski after 3 on Sunnyside/Albion/Cecret* for a $10 ticket, a $5 ticket reload or a $25 season pass. Skiers will buy passes and use the gates. (*Cecret closes at 3:30)

We hope the change will improve the quality of the skiing experience for all Alta skiers.

The 3 base area tows(Grizzyly tow, Transfer tow and Alta Lodge tow) will still be free all day, everyday.

Must be it was a victim of its own success. I know that lots of folks took their kids there to learn during these times and others used it to get some turns in after landing at SLC. Can't say it is a surprise considering the low snow year and high expenses with snowmaking and grooming.

Puck it

Free Pass with boading pass is a better deal at any one of the three Park City Resorts.

That area of Alta is as flat as a pancake. Good for kids and beginners only.

AdironRider

This is much ado about nothing.

Expecting a business to continue giving away services for free indefinitely is never going to happen long term. Besides its ten bucks. If someone cant afford ten bucks, they probably shouldnt be skiing in the first place.

Tooth

This is much ado about nothing.

Expecting a business to continue giving away services for free indefinitely is never going to happen long term. Besides its ten bucks. If someone cant afford ten bucks, they probably shouldnt be skiing in the first place.

For sure. Screw the poor people and anyone who doesnt have as much money as we do. Damn hand out seekers. If you cant pony up whatever the mountain charges you shouldnt even be allowed to ski. Its a rich mans sport.

I'm kidding. AdironRider, youre a freak. I bet you live at your parents home still. :puke:

kingslug

I was leaving the GMD when a new truck pulled up to film a segment about this..I declined to be interviewed...never talk to the press!
And you can still land and ski Alta the same day..just be quick about it..and pony up for a full price ticket..which is still cheaper than tickets here...and ..your there!!!

gmcunni

eh, i'll just buy a used ticket in the parking lot for $5 and ski the whole mountain, screw them.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Agree that it is a flat area of the mountain and boring.

And I was not implying that anyone was entitled to it. Just passing it along because it has long been a promo that they ran and a sign of goodwill.

The Park City deal is a good one as well.

Black Phantom

eh, i'll just buy a used ticket in the parking lot for $5 and ski the whole mountain, screw them.

38004.jpg

snoseek

This is too bad. It was a rare deal to encourage people to learn how to ski while keeping cost at zero. With a metro area so close it was kind of cool but obviously didn't make sense.

On a seperate not I just don't feel the love for Alta that I used to. Don't get me wrong the place still kicks ass, its just so much has changed. I attribute it to faster lifts.

AdironRider

Costs for riding the lift were zero. They still would need gear, transportation, and may or may not need someone how to do it. Not exactly free, and were talking about 10 bucks, probably still one of the best beginner deals in the entire country.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Costs for riding the lift were zero. They still would need gear, transportation, and may or may not need someone how to do it. Not exactly free, and were talking about 10 bucks, probably still one of the best beginner deals in the entire country.

Indeed still a good deal. And FWIW the "season pass" for this program is a mere $25.

4aprice

Agree that it is a flat area of the mountain and boring.

Oh I don't know about that TB. There's that fun little wall just to the right (going up the lift) that I've gotten some good little powder shots on. Not huge but not bad for free. My BIL is going to be really bummed about this development as he loved going up there on his arrival day.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

thetrailboss

Staff member
Oh I don't know about that TB. There's that fun little wall just to the right (going up the lift) that I've gotten some good little powder shots on. Not huge but not bad for free. My BIL is going to be really bummed about this development as he loved going up there on his arrival day.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Yes, except for that one area under the detachable triple, it is mainly green circle cruising. That little area is fun.