• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alterra Announces $344 million Capital Plan for 2022

thetrailboss

Staff member
Does not look like any love for Sugarbush and Stratton.

Completion of previously begun projects at Palisades and Steamboat.

A worthless lift improvement at Deer Valley. I don't understand what they are going to do--the beginner area is fine as it is. Extending an HSQ up to the top of Bald Eagle Mountain makes no sense for never-evers as the pitch is too steep for them to get back down to Snow Park.

pinion

A worthless lift improvement at Deer Valley. I don't understand what they are going to do
I don't get it either. They realign Burns to empty out into the open space between the 2 goat paths that feed into Little Baldy I guess? Who does that directly benefit aside from the St Regis?

It does mention there will be some grading work and since it’s all privately owned land I guess sky is the limit. Still feels like overkill to revamp a learning area that seems to work well enough already.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don't get it either. They realign Burns to empty out into the open space between the 2 goat paths that feed into Little Baldy I guess? Who does that directly benefit aside from the St Regis?

It does mention there will be some grading work and since it’s all privately owned land I guess sky is the limit. Still feels like overkill to revamp a learning area that seems to work well enough already.
I can think of other improvements that are needed. Such as hiring enough groomers and snowmakers to bring the conditions back up to “Deer Valley Standards.” This seems like another pointless lift upgrade.

crystalmountainskier

I think this had to happen before the Snow Park redevelopment. If the lifts have to move, might as well upgrade.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think this had to happen before the Snow Park redevelopment. If the lifts have to move, might as well upgrade.
"Those" lifts aren't moving though IIRC. I believe that they are going to extend/move Silver Lake and Carpenter. Nothing is happening with those two lifts.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Burns is going away completely and Snowflake is being realigned and extended.
So I'm looking at their drawings and yeah I guess it is. Seems like if it ain't broke don't fix it to me.

And I saw more details on this summer's work on KSL. I am not adding up how they are spending $20 million this summer. They describe $5 mill for maintenance, $6 mill for this lift work, and the $9 mill for bike trails and ????. I also think it is rich of someone to take credit for the previous owner's $215 million investments.

crystalmountainskier

So I'm looking at their drawings and yeah I guess it is. Seems like if it ain't broke don't fix it to me.

And I saw more details on this summer's work on KSL. I am not adding up how they are spending $20 million this summer. They describe $5 mill for maintenance, $6 mill for this lift work, and the $9 mill for bike trails and ????. I also think it is rich of someone to take credit for the previous owner's $215 million investments.

These press releases always lump tons of stuff into capital improvements. New paint, new toilets, new roof all get lumped into to come up with the biggest possible number.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I see you are getting new tram cars at the Bird starting April 4th (when the tram shuts down for the changeout). 15 pax summer balcony and summer glass floor panels, fancy.
Shutting down the Tram that early is stupid. I can only imagine what else John Cumming will do to eff this one up. My money says after one or two Oktoberfests that the summer balcony will be canned. Drunk patrons + open air platform on Tram = trouble.

And as I figured....

For those wanting an even less obstructed view, however, another option exists. The new cars will be equipped with a 15-person open-air balcony that can be accessed in the summers for an additional fee. Sherman said it is the only open-air tram balcony in the U.S.

Fast Tracks included?

Last edited:

SkiingInABlueDream

I wonder if they'll require people to be harnessed in some way on that upper deck. If not, it seems like a major insurance risk and only a matter of time before somebody falls off. That said Id pay extra to ride up there in a heartbeat.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I wonder if they'll require people to be harnessed in some way on that upper deck. If not, it seems like a major insurance risk and only a matter of time before somebody falls off. That said Id pay extra to ride up there in a heartbeat.
There must be some kind of harness I would think.

BenedictGomez

Who the hell would pay extra money to ride on a tram with no windows?!?!?

Photographers & people who've never been to the mountains before is all I've got.

jaytrem

It's a tram not a roller coaster, nobody is going to fall off if they're not harnessed.

SkiingInABlueDream

Who the hell would pay extra money to ride on a tram with no windows?!?!?

Photographers & people who've never been to the mountains before is all I've got.
I ski mtn bike and hike and yet I still enjoy summer lift rides whether it's for bike park days or sightseeing with friends or family who don't do those things but still enjoy being on top of a mountain occasionally. chairlift > gondola. Standing on the roof of a tram car >> riding inside the cabin.

jaytrem

Poor comparison. Tram cars sway going over towers. Even if 99.999999% of rides were uneventful. All it takes is one person getting off balance near the railing at the wrong time...
You must be all for installing seat belts on chairlifts too. Harness or not, nobody is going to fall over the railing. Exactly how low do you think these railings will be? In Europe they're like chin level. That would have to be one hell of a sway. Now jumping off? Maybe.

SkiingInABlueDream

You must be all for installing seat belts on chairlifts too.

Lol, no.

Harness or not, nobody is going to fall over the railing. Exactly how low do you think these railings will be? In Europe they're like chin level. That would have to be one hell of a sway. Now jumping off? Maybe.

I didn't look super closely at the concept picture when I first read the article so I'll admit the railing is not quite the waist-level height I assumed, but it's also not chin height, for an average adult male at least.

Whether they end up requiring harnesses, I could see that going either way.