• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Americans are Becoming More Rude, Less Civilized

Black Phantom

Isn't this the truth...

69% Say Americans are Becoming More Rude, Less Civilized

So much for a kinder, gentler America.

A new Rasmussen Reports survey finds that 69% of Americans think their fellow countrymen are becoming more rude and less civilized. Just 14% say they're becoming kinder and gentler. Another 17% aren't sure which way they're headed.

Still, the percentage of adults who think Americans are getting ruder is down slightly from September 2009, when fully three-quarters (75%) of the population held that sentiment.

With the changing times come changing social norms. Forty-three percent (43%) of adults still say it is rude for someone sitting next to them in public to talk on their cell phone, but that's down eight points from last year's survey. Just as many (44%) say it is not rude.

For some, rudeness is unacceptable, and they will be sure to do something about it. A full half of Americans (51%) say they have confronted someone over their rude behavior in public: That finding is unchanged from last September. Forty-four percent (44%) say they have never confronted someone about their behavior.

(Want a free daily e-mail update ? If it's in the news, it's in our polls). Rasmussen Reports updates are also available on Twitter or Facebook.

The survey of 1,000 Adults was conducted on August 14-15, 2010 by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error is +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Field work for all Rasmussen Reports surveys is conducted by Pulse Opinion Research, LLC. See methodology.

Many think the passage of time has changed our public manners for the worst. Sixty-two percent (62%) say Americans are more rude to sales personnel or people waiting on them than they were 10 years ago. Nineteen percent (19%) don't believe that's true. Nearly as many (18%) are not sure.

But then 57% say sales and service personnel are more rude to customers than they were 10 years ago, too. Thirty-two percent (32%) disagree, and another 11% are not sure.

Men are much more likely than women to have confronted someone over their rude behavior in public, though more women than men think sales and service personnel are more rude than they were a decade ago.

Adults over age 50 are more likely than their younger counterparts to think it is rude for someone sitting next to them in public to talk on their cell phone.

France appears close to enacting the first law in the world that makes verbal and psychological abuse in marriages a criminal act. Supporters say it will help prevent future physical abuse; opponents fear it will fill up the courts with “he said, she said” cases. However, just 32% of Americans say the United States should have a law that punishes individuals for verbal and psychological abuse of their spouses.

One-in-four employed adults in the country (26%) say they have left a job due to a bad relationship with a coworker.

skiNEwhere

It's sad to say that I think values have deteriorated, and I've only 24 years old.

ctenidae

69% of people think people are getting ruder, which could easily mean 69% of people have a load of sand in their vaginas.

skiNEwhere

More rude, yes.

Less civilized......No. We're trying so hard to become civilized that everything is too political. The fact that the news reports everything now just gives that appearance.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Big difference between what people "think" and what is actually happening. A poll is not a factual research study. It is just people's perceptions.

That said, the trend has been for more and more freedom and fewer social mores and rules being followed in public settings. This perception of rudeness and being less civilized is simply a matter of different cultures with opposing views of appropriate behavior are clashing more and more. It used to be that our society was pretty orderly in public. If people want to go back 100 years and deal with that non-sense, feel free. I will keep my perceptions that certain people are rude because they differ in behavior patterns than I do. I might not say it at the time I am witnessing perceived rude behavior, but I will say it now: Freedom rules and subjective opinion on what is acceptable in public can generally go take a flying you know what at the moon.

dmc

In my travels - I find Americans to be actually pretty polite as a whole.

I think we've become meaner and more polarized..

Glenn

90% of AZ-ers find IP spoofing and copy & paste articles with little to no commentary from the OP highly rude and annoying.

ctenidae

who's the worst?

Italians can seem rude, as they're fairly pushy and completely disregard queues. The Chinese can do much the same and will cut straight into the front on occassion. The Polish come off as rude sometimes because they don't really care what you think or want, and the Russians seem rude because they're usually looking for a way to steal something from you. People from the US South seem polite, until you realize they're just positioning to stab you in the back, shooot you in the face, or back over you with their truck. Yankees are awfully pushy, as they stab you in the front, shoot you in the gut, or shove you in front of a cab. West Coasters are obnoxious with their holier-than-thou attitudes as they drop a pack of dead Prius batteries on your foot, and Midwesterners can be preachy with their family values and salt-of-the-earth attitudes.

And don't even get me started on Canadians, with their odd-sized coins, jamming up vending machines everywhere.

/stereotypes are fun

jaywbigred

Oye. Any historian worth his salt will tell you that sentiments like "things are getting worse" and "things aren't once what they were" are endemic of most cultures. So "people are getting more rude" and "back in the day, people were nicer to each other" would fit right in; we want to believe in the righteousness of our roots and in the fallibility of the future, but the reality is probably somewhat the reverse, from a cultural standpoint. The longterm view still has us moving from heathen animals to partially civilized barbarians to a global community that, at the least, is in the infancy of being able to talk about "world peace" and ending things like hunger and widespread disease. Are we there yet? No. But we are doing better than our ancestors of 100, 500, 1000, 10,000 and more years ago. People's perceptions aside, things weren't better years ago. It's just human nature to think they were. My 2 cents, at least.

Glenn

You should really give up your conspiracy theories. Is this what you talk about when you sit around watching skiers while drinking your beers?

Get over your little rotund self.

No, it's mostly chat about mo-he-tows and Bobby Filet.

Yeah, I am pretty rotund. I'm working on dropping some weight. I figure another 10 lbs and I'll have to hit the hospital for mal nourishment. I heard IV drips rock.

Black Phantom

No, it's mostly chat about mo-he-tows and Bobby Filet.

Yeah, I am pretty rotund. I'm working on dropping some weight. I figure another 10 lbs and I'll have to hit the hospital for mal nourishment. I heard IV drips rock.

That sounds about right.

mp105_jack_in_the_box.jpg