• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anybody have St. Anton advice?

ComeBackMudPuddles

Thinking of heading to St. Anton, Austria, for some schnapps-filled pow in February this year....

:beer:

Anybody been there? Any advice? Lodging...terrain...eats....pubs...clubs....

Thanks.

:daffy:

playoutside

Skied there 6-7 years ago. It was my second trip to Austria. You'll have fun no matter where you are in Austria. I preferred Zell Am See to St Anton...weather was better during the Zell trip so it's probably not a fair comparison. Although Zell am See also is near a glacier which was beautiful and fun. The skiing in St Anton is more challenging; its all so different than New England that it's all good. No need for a car, train is easily accessible from town center and you can get to other areas without much effort. In Zell Am See we bought multi-day, multi-area tickets which was definitely the way to go. Can't recall if that was an option in St Anton. It's common in Europe to start in one area and end at another resort/town and then take a free ski bus back to where you started.

Like anywhere weather is a gamble, but pretty sure Feb tends to be best month for Austria. Can't recall my hotel name, but most offer plans that give you breakfast and dinner and there are lots within walking distance of the lifts. I'd recommend going with hotel and meal combo.

Apres ski in Austria is a hoot. Lots of fine beer, schnapps, and foolish dancing on table tops in ski boots. In St Anton there were some fun places that weren't quite at the bottom of the mountain. Lots of drunk skiing to be had after dark! Not smart, but entertaining as heck to watch. There are also crazy night time adventures to be had. You may be there for the skiing but some things shouldn't be missed: rodeln (like a tall runner sled which you sit on and try to steer through switch backs at night), snow rafting (whitewater raft careens down a snow hill), wacky games with humans attached to bungees in pursuit of schnapps, etc.

catskills

I stayed at a guest house in Zams where you share the bathroom. Each room does have a sink. Very reasonable. In 2004 with breakfast it was $32 USD. I believe it took me about 30 min. to drive from Zams to StAnton. StAnton does charge for parking. I did not need an alarm clock. The hotel in Zams was across the street from the Bell tower which rang 7 times at 7am. The folks in Zams say they don't even hear the bells anymore even though they ring on the hour during the day. It was strange to see how many folks ski on the groomers at St Anton. St. Anton am Arlberg is awesome and much better than Innsbruck IMHO. Great food and beer. Have fun.

Geoff

I stayed at a guest house in Zams where you share the bathroom. Each room does have a sink. Very reasonable. In 2004 with breakfast it was $32 USD. I believe it took me about 30 min. to drive from Zams to StAnton. StAnton does charge for parking. I did not need an alarm clock. The hotel in Zams was across the street from the Bell tower which rang 7 times at 7am. The folks in Zams say they don't even hear the bells anymore even though they ring on the hour during the day. It was strange to see how many folks ski on the groomers at St Anton. St. Anton am Arlberg is awesome and much better than Innsbruck IMHO. Great food and beer. Have fun.

SInk? That's a urinal. ;)

Pretty much anywhere you go in Europe, 90% of the people are exclusively on the groomers.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
Skied there 6-7 years ago. It was my second trip to Austria. You'll have fun no matter where you are in Austria. I preferred Zell Am See to St Anton...weather was better during the Zell trip so it's probably not a fair comparison. Although Zell am See also is near a glacier which was beautiful and fun. The skiing in St Anton is more challenging; its all so different than New England that it's all good. No need for a car, train is easily accessible from town center and you can get to other areas without much effort. In Zell Am See we bought multi-day, multi-area tickets which was definitely the way to go. Can't recall if that was an option in St Anton. It's common in Europe to start in one area and end at another resort/town and then take a free ski bus back to where you started.

Like anywhere weather is a gamble, but pretty sure Feb tends to be best month for Austria. Can't recall my hotel name, but most offer plans that give you breakfast and dinner and there are lots within walking distance of the lifts. I'd recommend going with hotel and meal combo.

Apres ski in Austria is a hoot. Lots of fine beer, schnapps, and foolish dancing on table tops in ski boots. In St Anton there were some fun places that weren't quite at the bottom of the mountain. Lots of drunk skiing to be had after dark! Not smart, but entertaining as heck to watch. There are also crazy night time adventures to be had. You may be there for the skiing but some things shouldn't be missed: rodeln (like a tall runner sled which you sit on and try to steer through switch backs at night), snow rafting (whitewater raft careens down a snow hill), wacky games with humans attached to bungees in pursuit of schnapps, etc.

i would avoid the british hollidays. the first time i went i ended up smack dab in the middle of winter vacation. way to many people but on my first drunken night i was chating some girles at the bar. one of them says i souldreally meet her brother. so i go ever to the table and low a behold its my old roommate that had been deported from the states for staying past his visa. needless to say the next two weeks where a blur. i ended back in london and he damn neer convinced me to stay.