• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anyone been to Elk PA lately?

gores95

I think there is an Elkskier on this forum but anyone been up there lately? I was going to make the trip from North Jersey but wanted to hear the "no bull" scoop on snow conditions.

Thanks,

Marc

goldsbar

Saturday was excellent - nice soft almost spring like snow with some small bumps forming (some short linked bump skiing) on the ungroomed hill.

Monday was decent - about the same amount of natural snow on the ground (they got a couple of inches after the rain) but the surface was much harder. Still carvable as their grooming is excellent. Everything open was groomed that day.

Don't know what their base will be like after all this rain. They had a decent amount of man made snow but not even close to the amount that Huntah had.

NYDrew

not there recently, but used to work at another mountain in the region. Those mountains don't hold snow very well in bad weather. Definately check the conditions.

Double check at montage, whitetail, jack frost,greek and labrador too just to compare (just in case they are eggagerating)

TeleMac

Elk

Thursday (12/29) was extremely rainy and foggy, with a fast, smooth surface (and no crowds, of course). It unexpectedly froze Thurs. night leading to Friday's very firm but not too icy surface. On Saturday (12/31) it began to snow in the PM. It snowed again on Sunday and Monday. Total accum. over the holiday weekend was 9-12 inches! Given the forecast (which called for nothing but rain/drizzle/mid-30s), this was pretty serendipitous.

Don't forget Winter Fest (free demos and cheap tix) is this Friday, January 6