• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are these boots OK

hammer

OK, so I went to Jeff and got the answer that I suspected...my current boots were too big. He also suggested that I go with a higher end boot. After kicking myself a few times for picking the wrong time of the season to get new boots, I decided to get new boots anyway...

So, I went shopping over the weekend for new boots and picked up a pair of Tecnica Diablo Sparks. Going down one shell size definitely helps, the boots fit the best of the brands I tried on, and I'm sure the fit will be even better after I go back to Jeff.

The one thing I noticed about the boots, however, is that they are a bit on the soft side when leaning forward. When I asked the salesman about this he thought that I didn't need a stiffer boot and that a softer performance boot would be better for me if I was going to be skiing bumps or glades. In the end, the boot salesman didn't steer me towards anything more expensive...

Did I get a good enough boot or do I (gulp) need to upgrade?

The next level up on the Tecnicas would be the Diablo Flame, which would run another $100. I did not try them on (yet?) but based on what the salesman told me the overall fit will likely be similar to the Sparks. I'd rather not spend the extra $$ unless I had to, but after only having a pair of boots last 2 seasons I'd also like these boots to last me a bit longer.

Thanks for any advice...already got word from Jeff that the Sparks should be OK but I thought I'd get some more opinions.

Rushski

I'm sure others on the board would disagree, but I've heard (and seen) that Technicas are not the sturdiest boot brands out there.

They have re-designed it seems this year, but might want to take that into consideration...

ajl50

I don't think a "softer" boot is better for anything. Boot stifness is really about making the transfer of energy to the ski efficient. I would go with the diablo fire's. They will perform better as your skiing requires it. I'm a big guy and i flex boots fairly easily and just got the diablo magma's and don't think i wasted a dime.

JimG.

Staff member
I skied Technica's for years before I switched to AT boots...never had a quality issue with them. And it's the brand I would go back to if I ever bought alpine boots again. Technica's fit my foot best right out of the box.

As for flex...

Lot's of fore and aft flex = good.

Lot's of lateral flex = bad.

Your ankle is a key skiing joint...you need to be able to flex it at will. I always err on the side of softness when it comes to fore and aft flex...more is better.

But the boot needs to fit so that there is no lateral flex. NONE.

Rushski

Good points JimG. Back in the old-straight ski days, a stiffer boot was almost a neccessity to force turns. With shaped, you can definitely go softer than full-bore race stiff...

Key is fit and no lateral give or excess volume.

bigbog

boots look fine....

hammer....pro your choice,
JimG hit on the huge issue with ankle flex....and I think you'll be able to handle rougher terrain better (medium-to-light weight skier) with a somewhat softer forward flexing boot(at first!)....and most every material stiffens up a bit also.. As mentioned...Fit rules..
BTW, doesn't that boot have the forward flex adjustability? (*Other insignificant stuff from this afternoon edited out...)

$.01

Last edited:

kbroderick

As others have said, ankle flexion is critical to good skiing. I'd add that you should be skiing through the bottom of your foot, not through your shin/ankle, if you're properly balanced over your foot; I spent the last three years in a Rossi soft boot with so little fore/aft support that I almost went over the tips the first run I took on 'em. However, I was able to adjust to those boots and ski better in them than I had in race boots for the previous several years; I'd definitely support the "err on the side of more fore/aft flex" argument, and I suspect that very few skiers are truly held back by a lack of fore/aft stiffness in their boots.

bigbog

...likewise experience...

.....I'd add that you should be skiing through the bottom of your foot, not through your shin/ankle, if you're properly balanced over your foot; I spent the last three years in a Rossi soft boot with so little fore/aft support that I almost went over the tips the first run I took on 'em. However, I was able to adjust to those boots and ski better in them than I had in race boots for the previous several years; I'd definitely support the "err on the side of more fore/aft flex" argument, and I suspect that very few skiers are truly held back by a lack of fore/aft stiffness in their boots.
Have had likewise experience(s) with softer forward flexing boots kbroderick....well put.

Greg

Staff member
Some of this comes down to personal preference. I for one don't like a noodley soft boot. My Vento 80s are very soft and I don't like them much and I'm far from a heavy or really powerful skier. I have my Speedmachine 12s set to "soft" and there's a bit of flex, but they're still pretty stiff overall. I might still use the Ventos on very cold days or bumps though...

hammer

Some of this comes down to personal preference. I for one don't like a noodley soft boot. My Vento 80s are very soft and I don't like them much and I'm far from a heavy or really powerful skier. I have my Speedmachine 12s set to "soft" and there's a bit of flex, but they're still pretty stiff overall. I might still use the Ventos on very cold days or bumps though...
Now I'm wondering...from what I can see, the Ventos have a "flex index" that is the same as the Diablo Flames, which are supposedly a stiffer boot than the Diablo Sparks.

The tough part about personal preference is that these are only my second pair of boots, and my first pair were too big so it's a bit difficult to compare.

Guess I've been going through a fair amount of buyer's remorse here...thanks to everyone for your input.

Greg

Staff member
Now I'm wondering...from what I can see, the Ventos have a "flex index" that is the same as the Diablo Flames, which are supposedly a stiffer boot than the Diablo Sparks.

The tough part about personal preference is that these are only my second pair of boots, and my first pair were too big so it's a bit difficult to compare.

Guess I've been going through a fair amount of buyer's remorse here...thanks to everyone for your input.

Nobody asked what your skill level is and what type of terrain you like...

hammer

Nobody asked what your skill level is and what type of terrain you like...

No, so here goes...
  • Intermediate
  • 5'9", 185 lb. (wish I were 10 - 15 lighter but oh well :-?)
  • Usually ski groomed blues to easy blacks (real steep stuff is still beyond me), would like to try bumps and glades within the next year or two

Greg

Staff member
No, so here goes...
  • Intermediate
  • 5'9", 185 lb. (wish I were 10 - 15 lighter but oh well :-?)
  • Usually ski groomed blues to easy blacks (real steep stuff is still beyond me), would like to try bumps and glades within the next year or two

Given that, the Sparks are probably fine, I'd imagine. The proper fit is going to help you more than anything and jumping up to a slightly stiffer boot probably won't make much of a difference aside from giving you a boot to "grow into" performance-wise. How many days out do you anticipate? If in the twenties or less, the Sparks will probably still serve you well for at least a couple years, maybe more.

NYDrew

seriously, you went to jeff for boot advice, then went to a shop to buy, and asking here.

wouldnt if have just made more sense to have jeff fit you into a new boot the whole way.

hammer

The last two posts did make some sense, and I agree in principle, but I still think I'm OK for the following reasons:
  • The salesperson at the shop where I bought the boots didn't try to sell me a bigger boot than the size Jeff told me to get, and
  • After I go back to Jeff with the boots, if they are still too loose or too soft I can always take the boots back and get a smaller and/or stiffer pair as long as they haven't been "altered". Not as convenient, but doable...
Looking back, going to the shop across the street may have been the best thing to do, but I don't see any harm in looking around...I did follow Jeff's input, but I may have not gone with a higher end boot, mainly because it's not the best time price-wise and the amount that I paid ($399) was about what I was comfortable with.

Main thing I'm trying to find out is whether the boots I picked would be too soft. As I mentioned in my original post, I already got input from Jeff and I thought it would be useful to get some additional opinions.