• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Armour

wa-loaf

Anyone here wear it? What kind? Thinking I should at least get some knee and elbow pads.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I wear the cheapo 6-6-1 knee pads when riding after I had to spend 2 months off the bike last fall because I tried to split a rock with my patella.

Yeah, don't do that. The 6-6-1 knee pads fit really nice though. For their price, I'm really impressed with the quality. So much so I bought 6-6-1 shoes last year too.

o3jeff

If you are just doing x-c riding I wouldn't bother, if you are going to do some questionable stunts and jumps it might be worth it.

The only thing I am really looking for is a deal on a good full face helmet for BMX racing and if I decide to go to the next level on jumps.

bvibert

Staff member
I've been going back and forth thinking about getting some knee pads, possibly with shin protection. For most of my riding I think they're overkill though, and will probably just get in the way.

wa-loaf

Yea, I probably just need to dial in the bike first. I was feeling kind of tentative last week. Try to charge harder this week.

bvibert

Staff member
If I rode platforms instead of clipless pedals I'd be much more likely to get shin guards. I'm not sure what you're on wa-loaf??

gorgonzola

picked off a pair of cheap fox shin/knee pads from chainlove this winter but haven't used 'em - thinking they might come in handy doing lift served at blue this summer.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I really want some shin guards. The first season, B took me over a log in the twisties at Nass and I fell; that bruise stayed with me from July through December and hurt with ski boots over it, even though it was 5 months later.

powbmps

I'm wearing shin protection all the time. With platform pedals it's a no-brainer (at least for my limited skill level). Gloves too.

I've got some serious armor for my next Highland visit though (full face, pressure suit, knee/shin combo).

yesmandroc

If I rode platforms instead of clipless pedals I'd be much more likely to get shin guards. I'm not sure what you're on wa-loaf??

Why is that? I haven't gone clipless yet because I feel like I'll be be more likely to hurt myself.

bvibert

Staff member
Why is that? I haven't gone clipless yet because I feel like I'll be be more likely to hurt myself.

Because I hate taking a pedal to the shins when my foot slips off. They say it's less likely happen with a good platform, but those spikes on the good pedals look like they'd really hurt if it did.

MR. evil

Because I hate taking a pedal to the shins when my foot slips off. They say it's less likely happen with a good platform, but those spikes on the good pedals look like they'd really hurt if it did.

They hurt pretty bad! I got wacked in the shin real bad once before I had good shoes, the pedal really tore my shin up.

MR. evil

I still don't understand why you guys go platforms instead of clipless for techy xc riding?? I mean DH maybe....but I love clipless for our techy xs single track.

I don't understand why you guy want to be clipped in for techy single track.....

Have you ever ridden with platform pedals and good shoes? I spent years on clipless and it was just fine, I personally just have more fun riding platforms. I feel like a kid on a big bmx bike. I also feel that riding platforms has made me a much smoother rider and better at handling my bike. If I raced XC or even cared about how fast I rodeni would be on clipless, but I mtb for fun and for me platforms are much more fun.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I still don't understand why you guys go platforms instead of clipless for techy xc riding?? I mean DH maybe....but I love clipless for our techy xs single track.

After today's ride, I can totally see going back to platforms for techy rides. Love the clipless for general XC stuff--especially on climbs--but today on the rockier, techier stuff--ouch! All the falls I had today are directly attributable to not being able to unclip in time. Granted, I was on B's pedals instead of mine and maybe they needed to be adjusted more... but I would have loved platforms today, even crappy ones.

bvibert

Staff member
After today's ride, I can totally see going back to platforms for techy rides. Love the clipless for general XC stuff--especially on climbs--but today on the rockier, techier stuff--ouch! All the falls I had today are directly attributable to not being able to unclip in time. Granted, I was on B's pedals instead of mine and maybe they needed to be adjusted more... but I would have loved platforms today, even crappy ones.

The tension was as low as it goes... ;)

Brik

I have wife mandated chest protection after a nasty multi rib breaking (and lung puncturing) fall several years ago. Thinking of getting some shin guards as I took a tumble last year and put a nice divot in my shin that bled for days. I also ride flats as my skill level requires an occasional dab but I must admit that I'm thinking of clipping in on some of the less techy stuff. Full armor on the lift assisted stuff.

o3jeff

I'm the opposite, when I tried platforms a couple rides last I found myself stepping off and giving up a lot easier on the techy stuff than I do on clipless. Just keep riding them in the techy stuff and un-clipping should come naturally without thinking about it. Just last night I was playing around on the two rocky climbs on the truck trail(red rock and the other) which are tougher than most things I've found at WH and while the bike took a beating, I was able to unclip each time. And no I didn't make it up either.:( I guess I just need to see the line someone else takes.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'm the opposite, when I tried platforms a couple rides last I found myself stepping off and giving up a lot easier on the techy stuff than I do on clipless. Just keep riding them in the techy stuff and un-clipping should come naturally without thinking about it. Just last night I was playing around on the two rocky climbs on the truck trail(red rock and the other) which are tougher than most things I've found at WH and while the bike took a beating, I was able to unclip each time. And no I didn't make it up either.:( I guess I just need to see the line someone else takes.
There is definitely the element of giving up faster with platforms for me--without a doubt. But after the first fall yesterday, I psyched myself out and gave up early on some stuff because of the fear of not being able to unclip in time. I had another weird incident where I may have gone OTB but being clipped in, I was held back by the bike and just fell on the bar instead (does that make sense? hard to describe...)

I don't know.. I don't usually complain so maybe it was just that they weren't the pedals that I'm used to. I have not fallen over using them.