• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ascutney Mountain Sold!

bobbutts

I'm guessing you're jerking my chain, but interestingly Hartness State Airport is only 12 miles away, has a LOC/DME approach, and the runway is 5,500 feet. That's a place even jets can go. Twice the airport Mt Snow has, but probably less natural snow and a warmer base elevation that's 1,000 feet lower. Superb access to I-91.
Yeah, it's more like 1/2 way jerking your chain. It is actually interesting and cool to have so much knowledge on the board. Just like a layup to hassle you about the obvious excitement.

snoseek

They really should consider leaving the mid mtn lift in place as lift served mtb would attract a whole new crowd and make the place very competitive with Burke.

With that said they are sitting on some seriously good mtb terrain, big climbs, tech, flow, fields and sweet singletrack. I've come to like it even better than burke as its got more challenge and less people. Trails constantly being added and with closer proximity to more people things will likely catch on...words already out.

But they really need to get the lift served going IMO

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Never skied Ascutney, like so many others here. But we've all seen it. That giant, gnarly looking mountain that stands alone east of all the other VT mountains and west of all the NH mountains. An independent mountain in a divided area. Rest in peace, and may your history and memories be preserved on the servers of NELSAP, NE Ski History, and Chairlift.org.

bzrperfspec77

Wow... On May 27th of this year I booked a room at the hotel on the mountain for my fiance and I on our annual VT Beer Trip. I thought it would be cool to check the place out, do some hiking and see the possible potential in the mountain of re-opening (after reading this thread last year). I guess now it will be just checking out the old ski area before it gets changed over for good.

skiNEwhere

I skied ascutney once after they had the HSQ installed. I thought it was ok, it offered a little bit of everything, but I can't think of anything memorable that stuck out. How did they do in terms of snowfall?

WWF-VT

They really should consider leaving the mid mtn lift in place as lift served mtb would attract a whole new crowd and make the place very competitive with Burke.

With that said they are sitting on some seriously good mtb terrain, big climbs, tech, flow, fields and sweet singletrack. I've come to like it even better than burke as its got more challenge and less people. Trails constantly being added and with closer proximity to more people things will likely catch on...words already out.

Less people than Burke = little reason why anyone would invest and run a lift

snoseek

Less people than Burke = little reason why anyone would invest and run a lift

Yeah but still catching on. Like Burke was in the late 90's. They could easily steal a huge portion of burkes business.

WWF-VT

Yeah but still catching on. Like Burke was in the late 90's. They could easily steal a huge portion of burkes business.

From other threads here about Burke, "stealing a huge portion of burkes business" still doesn't amount to much money.

snoseek

^^^^The town is bustling with people on any given weekend in spring/summer/fall. Even the weekdays are busy often. These are people that ride 5k+ bikes....they ride then eat/shop/spend lots of money. There's much $$$ to be made.

I bet the village is busier in summer with the mtb crowd than winter with the skiers. I could be wrong but 25 years ago these places relied strictly on skiers in the winter to get them through the summer.

Look at highlands in NH. Couldn't survive as a ski resort ever but running things as a mtb only place they seem to be doing quite well.

steamboat1

I skied ascutney once after they had the HSQ installed. I thought it was ok, it offered a little bit of everything, but I can't think of anything memorable that stuck out. How did they do in terms of snowfall?

One of the problems with Ascutney was it has very low base elevation. The mountain is right off I-91 in the Ct. River Valley. Like has been said it's to the east of the spine of the Green Mtns. & west of the White Mtns. It didn't receive as much natural snow as some of it's nearby neighbors located in the middle of these mtn. ranges. Because of the low elevation any natural snow they did receive didn't last as long.

It's a shame to see a place like Ascutney close for good. I've skied there many times & thought the mountain offered lot's of variety & challenge. Certainly more challenge then it's neighbor Okemo & more variety than it's other nearest neighbor Suicide Six. It wasn't the largest ski area in VT. but by no means would I call it a small ski area.

slatham

Given what I know of Magic, with its very loyal following and significant skiing attributes, yet struggles, I find it hard to believe that Ascutney could find a big enough market to survive, especially after the required capital investment. The bikers and their $5k bikes probably want the full-on resort capabilities that are already served by Mt Snow, Stratton and Okemo (if not Hermitage Club for the ubber's out there). Hard core experts will ski Magic, Mt Snow (North Face) or head north to K-mart etc. The mountain, as commented, is not memorable. Its low and in a snow shadow. I just find it hard to believe, IMHO, that the mountain could survive in this day and age. I hate seeing another area NELSP'ed, but I think Ascutney will be. I just hope there are no others.......

bigbog

I really like the mid-mtn thinking!.....don't know if the ones with deeper pockets do...y/n?

AdironRider

^^^^The town is bustling with people on any given weekend in spring/summer/fall. Even the weekdays are busy often. These are people that ride 5k+ bikes....they ride then eat/shop/spend lots of money. There's much $$$ to be made.

I bet the village is busier in summer with the mtb crowd than winter with the skiers. I could be wrong but 25 years ago these places relied strictly on skiers in the winter to get them through the summer.

Look at highlands in NH. Couldn't survive as a ski resort ever but running things as a mtb only place they seem to be doing quite well.

People always champion bikers for spending money, but in reality outside of the local gas and go, unless you own a bike shop that money never materializes.

Most of my mtb bike buddies do buy 5k bikes, but they wait tables and hustle for their bike just like they hustle for a ski pass.

How many Vice Presidents or CEO's do you know that really bike all that often. This isnt buying the latest greatest Cannondale road bike to impress their buddies with and ride once, you are talking about a biker thats going to commit to travel and buy lift tickets to go beat themselves up with a downhill run? Yeah that market is slim.

Highland is also just outside of an hour from Boston, unlike Ascutney.

snoseek

People always champion bikers for spending money, but in reality outside of the local gas and go, unless you own a bike shop that money never materializes.

Most of my mtb bike buddies do buy 5k bikes, but they wait tables and hustle for their bike just like they hustle for a ski pass.

How many Vice Presidents or CEO's do you know that really bike all that often. This isnt buying the latest greatest Cannondale road bike to impress their buddies with and ride once, you are talking about a biker thats going to commit to travel and buy lift tickets to go beat themselves up with a downhill run? Yeah that market is slim.

Highland is also just outside of an hour from Boston, unlike Ascutney.

Take a look at a town like Burke or better yet Fruita in Co. Fruita at this point exist solely for mtn bikers. All the restaurants/shops/lodging ect...all revolve around mtb riders and serving them. The hot tomato is slamming on any given day, it would not exist without that crowd. In fact Fruita would literally just be a gas station and Mcd's before entering the desert on I-70. Places like Bruke/Moab/Sedona would exist as there's other activities but I bet not to the extent they do now. People travel on planes to go to these places all the time.