• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Aspen: What airport?

saus

Any advice would be appreciated: Fly to Denver and surface transportation to Aspen? Fly directly to Aspen?

drjeff

If you fly into Denver and then drive to Aspen, you're looking at a 4:30ish drive with the variable of the weather and possible tunnel closures, etc. If you fly from DIA into Aspen, its a quick 40ish minute flight, although the variable of the weather comes into play again.

Basically, do you want a long drive after/before your flights to/from DIA, or a quick basically commuter flight from DIA to Aspen??

saus

I take it, then, that landing in Denver is necessary in any case. There is no flying DIRECTLY into Aspen?

dmc

I took a bus when i went.. It brokedown a couple times on the way..

FRITOLAYGUY

I take it, then, that landing in Denver is necessary in any case. There is no flying DIRECTLY into Aspen?

Ya thats pretty much the answer, DIA is has a hub for UNited so you just hop on a connector flight and your all set.. I believe the flight time is about 50minutes from DIA to Aspen.. YOu dont wanna drive there, i have made it with no weather conditions in my car from Denver to Aspen in 3hrs 5min going 80-85 on I-70.. Take the flight its easier, trust me.

lloyd braun

let me set the record straight. I live here.

Option 1:
Flying to Aspen (ASE) is the best option but also the most expensive. We have direct flights this winter from;

Salt Lake: Delta
Chicago: United Express
L. A. United Express
Denver- United Express

Northwest also connects but I am not sure where.

The flights in the winter are reliable except for weather. If you get shut out, you can always drive. The road can be bad, but usually passable. You may want to reserve a 4 wheel drive car/truck (must be 4wd) with no cancellation penalty just to be safe. If you fly, you cancel the rental car, if you can't fly, you have the car.

Option 2:

Eagle (EGE) Airport is only 1.5 hour drive and you don't have to go over any mountain passes. The drive is not bad.

You can get a lot of carriers out of Eagle.

My wife and I use this option often.

Eagle is usually much cheaper than Aspen.

I would think that there are shuttles but I am not sure (check CME colorado mountain express), you don't need a car in Aspen so if you rent one to drive from Eagle to Aspen the car will most likely sit.

Option 3:

Cheapest is Denver (DEN). Shuttles are expensive (like over a 100 bucks per person) and the drive can suck. But that is economy way to go.

somone else mentioned the drive being 4.5 hours. Clear roads you are looking at 3.5 hours if you drive the speed limit. Most drive under the speed limit to look at the scenery and the roads are a bit twisty to go the speed limit. Our speed limit on I-70 is mostly 75mph.

any more questions, feel free to ask.

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
I've flown into Eagle to get to Aspen, and think this is definitely the way to go. My understanding is that the Aspen airport closes more readily for one reason or another, so you're more likely to face a delay or cancelation. It's a bit of a drive to Eagle, but you can either rent a car or take a shuttle.

saus

Anyone here going to the EpicSki Academy at Aspen in January? That's why I'm asking about flights.

Geoff

When you consider what a round trip van ride will cost you, it's usually faster and cheaper to fly right into Aspen.

My mom lived at Snowmass for a bunch of years. I usually tried to connect over O'Hare to ASE on United. If something bad happens, United will divert to Vail/Eagle and bus you in.

There's nothing worse than having a puddle jumper from DEN to ASE scrubbed for weather. You're sitting at the airport with your equipment held by the airline when you're in for an epic powder day the next day. Once, I rescued my bags and did the drive in a 1-way Geo Metro. Around Copper & Vail, the drive got very interesting in a low ground clearance car with lousy all season tires.

saus

Geoff, bought and sold. Thanks for the advice. I'll be booking for Aspen.