• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Attn. Scotty, Plattekill 5"-6" and counting.

Cornhead

image1.jpg
Looking pretty Wintery

We received 5-6" of NEW SNOW last night and this morning it's STILL SNOWING as of 10:30am. Our snowmaking system and snowmakers are hard at work around the clock as temps remain cold in preparation for the upcoming Martin Luther King Holiday Weekend! We will be skiing and riding starting Friday from 8:45am-4:15pm. We will have a final trail and condition report for Friday's opening later this week. Below is our 'Projected Report'.

Shoveled two inches this morning in Binghamton, NY. Heading to Greek Peak tomorrow night with my Son. I just got confirmation from Madame President at work that I'm allowed to take off with a day or two's notice. This is great news, two weeks advanced notice is company policy for vacation time...bring on the storms!

MarkC

With another 6" I would be that they can be at almost 100% again. After the warmup the natural terrain was left with a nice ice base.

Cornhead

hmmm..maybe I won't go to K and fight the hordes...
You won't find any hordes at Platty :wink: I've got a couple BOGO's, but they're no good this weekend, probably stick to my local molehill. Looks like they missed out on this event however, Greek is only claiming 1". I saw on TWC, there may be some LES coming this weekend however, Greek is on the fringe for LES. Would be nice if they got some.

ScottySkis

A lot of that going around. With unemployment being sky-high, employers know they can low-ball people and still get plenty of takers.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

I know my boss in NYC has not given me a raise since the economy fell, and I am not making enough now to afford commute, car insurance, rent and food, and skiing, I just picked up a 2 job on Saturdays starts in couple weeks.

kingslug

News flash...unemployment is now at the same level as 2008...so they can't use that excuse anymore..although they will for a long time...

BenedictGomez

News flash...unemployment is now at the same level as 2008...so they can't use that excuse anymore..although they will for a long time...

Unemployment is higher now than it was in 2008.

Not to get too wonky, but when you commonly hear "unemployment is at 7.8%" on television, you have to understand that that is what is referred to by economists as the U3 unemployment metric, the official government number, which is fairly useless and intentionally misleading.

You need to adjust that for the millions of people who have been unemployed ≥ 365 days, whom are no longer counted as "unemployed" in the BLS data (that change was made in 1994). Do that, and you arrive at the real unemployment rate, which is about 12.5%, or roughly 1 in 8 American workers.

But it actually gets a bit worse.

If you look at the marginally attached workforce and all the forced part-time workers that want to work a 40 hour week, but cannot find full-time jobs (this is called U6 unemployment) you get closer to 15% unemployment.

steamboat1

Unemployment is higher now than it was in 2008.

Not to get too wonky, but when you commonly hear "unemployment is at 7.8%" on television, you have to understand that that is what is referred to by economists as the U3 unemployment metric, the official government number, which is fairly useless and intentionally misleading.

You need to adjust that for the millions of people who have been unemployed ≥ 365 days, whom are no longer counted as "unemployed" in the BLS data (that change was made in 1994). Do that, and you arrive at the real unemployment rate, which is about 12.5%, or roughly 1 in 8 American workers.

But it actually gets a bit worse.

If you look at the marginally attached workforce and all the forced part-time workers that want to work a 40 hour week, but cannot find full-time jobs (this is called U6 unemployment) you get closer to 15% unemployment.
More important than U-6 is the labor force participation rate which has been steadily declining. If participation rate drops so does unemployment. Doesn't mean the job market is getting better. It just means more people have totally given up.

abc

More important than U-6 is the labor force participation rate which has been steadily declining. If participation rate drops so does unemployment. Doesn't mean the job market is getting better. It just means more people have totally given up.
They can only "give up" when they have some means to live on. So they may not count in the stat but they're out there job hunting nonetheless.

All these government figures are incomplete. And I'm not sure there's a "complete" picture that actually exist. (would like to see where that 12% unemployment comes from, for example).

Employer, on the other hand, have a much clearer picture when they advertise. 1) flooded with resume of over-qualified candidate == high unemployment, 2) flooded with resume of under-qualified candidate == low unemployment. They will then try to low ball the offer or up the pay accordingly.