• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten

skiadikt

Construction pushed back till "later in fall" http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=294

Also of interest

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=296
So in case anyone thought we would see Otten-esque snowmaking practices (ie, October 1st opening) that isn't happening. A real shame with the bitter climate up there.

killington was opening "october 1" long before otten got involved. he was just continuing pres smith's policy. did sunday river ever open oct 1? certainly oct 15 is early enough

granted otten had success in building sunday river into a mega eastern resort but his failures (probably the largest ever in the ski industry) far surpass any success he may have had. no way would i trust the guy. his grandiose expectations border on delusion. the same thing that got him in trouble in the past.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It just gets better and better...

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=298

With a local planning board meeting scheduled in two weeks, new details have been released for the proposed Balsams project.

The DD-Balsams Subdistrict covers 8,175 of the 11,000 acres in the project master plan. Despite multiple construction delays, Dixville Capital, LLC is still planning on a 2016 opening.

The DD-Balsams Subdistrict proposal calls for up to 4,600 dwelling units in four areas.

The existing Balsams Lake Village Area would see up to 2,300 dwelling units, a new hotel, and a new conference center. One or more transfer lifts would be used to connect it to the ski area.

The Wilderness Area, including the existing ski area, would be home to 500 dwelling units. A lodge would be constructed atop the existing ski area.

The Cascade Basin Area, located southeast of Dixville Notch, would feature 300 dwelling units. A mid mountain lodge would be constructed atop the complex, at the top of the proposed Balsams Lake Village connector lift.

The South Village Area, located southeast of Cascade Basin, would feature up to 1,500 dwelling units, as well as a new base area.

Phase 1 construction may include 6 new lifts (including a gondola from Balsams Lake Village) and five new trail pods, in addition to the existing ski area's two triple chairlifts.

The state recently approved water withdrawal from the Androscoggin River for the project. A 24 to 30 inch diameter pipeline would be constructed along Route 26, turning onto the resort's property just east of the state park boundary.

The full build out is expected to consist of 26 lifts, 1,200 acres of trails, and 800 acres of glades. Dixville Capital, LLC, led by Les Otten, is currently operating under an option agreement with the current owners of Balsams, Daniel Hebert, Jr. and Daniel Dagesse.

4,000 units in the first phase of development. Let's say the average occupancy per unit is 3, then you're gonna have 12,000 people living there. This would make it the 25th largest town in New Hampshire https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_communities_in_New_Hampshire_by_population)

Tin

Otten must have come off his Zyprexa. This is just insanity and has the makings of being mentioned alongside DeLorean and Pets.com.

Bostonian

Hey I still think the DeLorean is a snazzy car... But seriously, 4600 units and all this development? Who on earth from greater Boston will travel for 4 hours to there, when Killington is under 3, Sunday River is 3 in change and the Ski 93 hills in 2+ hours in change too? Seems overly ambitious for such a far out of the way place.

skiNEwhere

Hey I still think the DeLorean is a snazzy car... But seriously, 4600 units and all this development? Who on earth from greater Boston will travel for 4 hours to there, when Killington is under 3, Sunday River is 3 in change and the Ski 93 hills in 2+ hours in change too? Seems overly ambitious for such a far out of the way place.

Bostonians drive to the loaf and that's over 4 hours away

mbedle

That 4,600 unit is at full build out. Initial offering is only 400 units. Just read how he plans to sell these units. Pretty interesting concept. Basically, you buy 100 days for a unit (100K to 280K) and have the ability to sell them back to the resort in exchange for free membership, no HOA fees, etc.

skiNEwhere

But Balsams will have a gondola.

I'm pretty sure you're saying that tongue-in-cheek. But I do find it funny how resorts sell their gondola like it's an attraction in itself, almost akin to a new ride at an amusement park

Jully

If the Balsams can get the snowfall of something like Jay though, that could give it better powder/natural offerings compared to other resorts south of it. Obviously not going make the resort a success, but it would be a reason why I'd go there over SR or Cannon.

If they can get a few more dumps than competitors and then maintain quality snow due to fewer thaws than others, it could make it attractive to maybe drive the extra 30-60 minutes

Newpylong

But the loaf has unique terrain - Balsams doesn't have the snow fields... or the vertical.

No offense but I doubt many "Bostonians" care about snowfields or unique terrain otherwise places like Loon, Sunapee, Waterville, Bretton Woods wouldn't be mob scenes.

skiadikt

If the Balsams can get the snowfall of something like Jay though, that could give it better powder/natural offerings compared to other resorts south of it. Obviously not going make the resort a success, but it would be a reason why I'd go there over SR or Cannon.

If they can get a few more dumps than competitors and then maintain quality snow due to fewer thaws than others, it could make it attractive to maybe drive the extra 30-60 minutes

the summit of mt washington which is 3000' higher, averages 280" of snowfall per year. yeah the balsams is about 50 miles north but doubt it will get anywhere the snowfall of jay.

x10003q

One of the potential markets for The Balsams is Canada and today the Canadian dollar is worth $.76US. The trend is now following oil prices. Canada is on sale again for US residents.

The idea that full build out is 4600 units is a joke. They will be lucky to sell 400 units.

Jully

Obviously not getting the snowfall of Jay, but from numerous accounts I've had people tell me the snow is "special" over there. Whatever special means, I don't know because I've never been through the area in the winter. However, if it turns out there is something unique about the snow, then it could be a way to separate the area from the ski 93 mountains and the like.

Not saying it's a definite nor that even with a claim to good snow it'll work out though. I mostly just want this to happen because I'm excited at the idea of a new major place opening in New England because it will most likely be the only opening of this size ever in NE for the rest of our lives. I think that's a pretty cool thing even if it sucks and is a total bust.

JDMRoma

Somebody should take a ride up there to see how much snowfall they get. I have but I ain't talkin.

It's a Snowmobilers Mecca ,some of the best riding in the state below Pittsburg.
I've been up there it's better than what they're letting on !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

machski

Look, many said the same thing about SR in its infancy with real estate, etc. Oops, guess that was wrong. Balsams gets more and keeps snow better than any ski 93 area, Wildcat or SR. That difference to the North (and west of SR) is a big difference maker for those costal storms that come just a bit too close for the rest of NH. The big difference in my opinion to make or break this, will be the draw of the non-ski season. That was always stronger up there in the previous Balsams eras. That is what will make or break this, more than the ski draw.