• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The ski industry lost a legend yesterday

drjeff

Reading reports online from numerous people in the ski coaching/ski tuning world, than Ron LeMaster, a legendary ski racing coach and tuning guru, was killed while skiing at Eldora, CO yesterday after a collision with a snowboarder (not sure based on what I have read online who ran into who and what the circumstances were yet)

RIP Ron, and everyone needs to be careful out there as the demand to get on snow is high and the relative acreage available is still low. Ultimately we all want to ski and ride many more days and at times that means that we all just need to slow down a bit and be a bit more aware of our surroundings when on the hill

jimmywilson69

wow that sucks RIP.

Sort of hits home to me as my buddy and I collided at a really high rate of speed (~40 MPH) in February and I broke my collarbone. Just a reminder that it could've been much much worse...

KustyTheKlown

y'all see this video circulating of a dude colliding with and killing a deer mid-run, and then skiing the carcass down to the base on his back? he was apparently looking at the other deer across the trail and not right in front of him and then SMACK

i don't know how you collide hard enough to kill an animal, and ski away

So Inclined

Oh man, I've just been reading "Ultimate Skiing" this week to brush up for the season, too. That's terrible. And terrifying - I've never been in a collision but several people I know have been (I came damn close to one at high speed at Taos several years ago, and it still sends a chill down my spine to think about.) As an instructor, I've become more cognizant over the last couple years about impressing on the people I ski with that this activity is dangerous, not least when you're on a crowded slope with people of various skill levels (and BACs :/) You can literally have written the book on skiing and get wiped out.