• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre Express?

PAabe

And a tomahawk is ___-ist because? It is a general purpose tool... in fact wouldn't censoring it for no reason be worse? We are after all in America, where native americans lived for many thousands of years before Europeans came along

ne_skier

If they keep going along with this trend they will basically remove the native theme entirely. As I mentioned a year ago when Superchief was renamed to Belleayre Express, nearly all of the trails at the resort are given names that likely have some native origin.
As PAabe mentioned, a tomahawk isn’t even an exclusively native tool anymore. For hundreds of years it’s been nothing more than, well, a tool, one that is commonly used for anything from camping to sports to militaries. If the mere mentioning of a general purpose tool that was invented by natives is racist, then what about the 40+ native-inspired trail names? When are they getting axed, and what boring, generic names will they think of to replace them?
I also joked last year that if Tomahawk is on the chopping block, they would put in the same amount of creativity that they put into the Belleayre Express name, calling it the “Belleayre Slow Quad”. Given that it doesn’t even have a name anymore, I feel stupid for overestimating their creativity.

cdskier

If they keep going along with this trend they will basically remove the native theme entirely. As I mentioned a year ago when Superchief was renamed to Belleayre Express, nearly all of the trails at the resort are given names that likely have some native origin.
As PAabe mentioned, a tomahawk isn’t even an exclusively native tool anymore. For hundreds of years it’s been nothing more than, well, a tool, one that is commonly used for anything from camping to sports to militaries. If the mere mentioning of a general purpose tool that was invented by natives is racist, then what about the 40+ native-inspired trail names? When are they getting axed, and what boring, generic names will they think of to replace them?
I also joked last year that if Tomahawk is on the chopping block, they would put in the same amount of creativity that they put into the Belleayre Express name, calling it the “Belleayre Slow Quad”. Given that it doesn’t even have a name anymore, I feel stupid for overestimating their creativity.

Look for the new trail names of Trail 1 to Trail 50 coming soon!

PAabe

242352.full.gif
"I'm glad we came to State Ski Area #3 today, let's head over to Lift 8 and hit Trail 37"

urungus

Really disappointed to read the comments here. If you really think that few Native Americans are bothered by these names, you are in complete denial. And if you do know that these names are hurtful, but you insist on using them anyway, “because tradition”, you need to take a long look in the mirror

ne_skier

Really disappointed to read the comments here. If you really think that few Native Americans are bothered by these names, you are in complete denial. And if you do know that these names are hurtful, but you insist on using them anyway, “because tradition”, you need to take a long look in the mirror

I honestly agree with the Squaw Valley name change. I see why it was done; Squaw was an actual slur. I just don’t see how the name “Tomahawk” is in any way racist. It’s a tool, and one invented by natives, but I really do not see the connection to racism in any way. Again, it is one thing if it’s a slur, a-la Squaw Valley, but this isn’t a slur, it’s the name of a tool.
Half of what myself and some others are complaining about isn't the removal of the old names, but rather the new names that were chosen. With the exception of Palisades, which actually took some time to find a new name for itself, most of the PC replacement names have been bland, out of place, or picked in a rush. Examples include the Squaw Creek lift at Palisades being renamed to "Resort Chair", Eskimo at Winter Park being renamed to "Explorer" and, of course, Superchief at Belleayre being renamed to "Belleayre Express".
I’m not justifying or debating on behalf of any other comments here that allude to what you are saying, my personal opinions are those stated above.

BenedictGomez

Found the self-righteous white liberal.

ne_skier

Not singling anyone out here but please try not to get into full-out political debates or get at each other's throats, I don't want this thread getting locked. Respectful debate concerning the topic at hand is good and beneficial. Posting this footnote here for the future of this thread, let's not kill it. Meant to post this back a year ago before debate over the Superchief name change got too heated, figured it would be wise to post this here now. Again, I'm not singling anyone out.

skiur

Not singling anyone out here but please try not to get into full-out political debates or get at each other's throats, I don't want this thread getting locked. Respectful debate concerning the topic at hand is good and beneficial. Posting this footnote here for the future of this thread, let's not kill it. Meant to post this back a year ago before debate over the Superchief name change got too heated, figured it would be wise to post this here now. Again, I'm not singling anyone out.

While I agree with keeping the crap out of threads, I would not worry about it getting locked as the no politics rule here is gone. If moderators can talk politics all they want how can they lock a thread for it?

machski

I honestly agree with the Squaw Valley name change. I see why it was done; Squaw was an actual slur. I just don’t see how the name “Tomahawk” is in any way racist. It’s a tool, and one invented by natives, but I really do not see the connection to racism in any way. Again, it is one thing if it’s a slur, a-la Squaw Valley, but this isn’t a slur, it’s the name of a tool.
Half of what myself and some others are complaining about isn't the removal of the old names, but rather the new names that were chosen. With the exception of Palisades, which actually took some time to find a new name for itself, most of the PC replacement names have been bland, out of place, or picked in a rush. Examples include the Squaw Creek lift at Palisades being renamed to "Resort Chair", Eskimo at Winter Park being renamed to "Explorer" and, of course, Superchief at Belleayre being renamed to "Belleayre Express".
I’m not justifying or debating on behalf of any other comments here that allude to what you are saying, my personal opinions are those stated above.
Agree with this post. If we are going to change everything named for a native American tool or artifact, that list is going to be super long and take forever. A slang word is one thing, but just words that become names of other things? The world needs to stop trying to just whitewash everything. As an example, Piper Aircraft has an entire piston engine aircraft line known as the Indian line because they all have indian names. Warrior, Archer, Arrow, Tomahawk, Seminole, Cherokee, Comanche, Aztec. And that is just one example outside of skiing.

PAabe

Native Americans are cool and Native American place/thing names are also cool. If you whitewash all the names you are also whitewashing out the history and culture of this country and continent. It is a distraction from actual issues that affect native americans and only continues to push them and their culture to the sidelines of american consciousness

Last edited:

Slidebrook87

Clearly there was opposition to Squaw’s name, but I’d be legitimately curious to hear of any complaints or requests to change Superchief and Tomahawk’s names. They are in no way offensive and as mentioned, by removing them we’re simply further disconnecting native culture from modern society and distracting from actual problems they face. Distracting from the real problem seems to be a common theme…

ne_skier

Just like Superchief, I doubt many will actually call the lifts by their new names. I’m pretty sure the Superchief signs are still up today as well, they certainly were last season. Name change is only reflected on the website.

spiderpig

Maybe they heard one person associating Tomahawk with the Chop in Atlanta that people want to ax.

Okemo used to have trails named Squaw, Peace Pipe, Wigwam, and Bow, but they still have Chief, Tomahawk, Arrow, Sachem, and Wardance. I would think the latter would be the most problematic. They use Chief and Wardance for all of their races (no pun intended) and Wardance for training every day.