• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Berkshire East 1/9/2010

arik

Date(s) Skied: 1/9/2010 (saturday)

Resort or Ski Area: B-East

Conditions: not too bad, very packed powder, there were some moguls on Big Chief

Trip Report:

I had a nice afternoon skiing at Berkshire east, conditions were really decent. The friendly laid back vibe there persists. The new lift wasn't running yet though I heard people saying it was to be load tested soon. There was a bit of a line (5 minutes) on the existing triple around 1pm which was gone later in the afternoon.

The new lift looks really great, I didn't realise that it's terminus was higher making more beginner terrain available to snowboarders without that initial little climb. I heard something about a problem with steel on footrests having lead to a delay in lift opening, as well as something about big rocks (from digging the holes for the lift poles) being somewhat exposed skiers right under the new chair. I looked and did not see any large rocks.

The base lodge now has a ski shop on the main floor which is great.

I am having a big group of friends up in VT this weekend (MLK) to ski, they are of varied abilities (i.e. not good). I am going to suggest we ski at B-East rather than the larger places in VT because of the more relaxed vibe, lower prices, and smaller crowds.