• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

Big Wave Dave

I doubt that Quiros gives a rat's ass about property values. A shutdown, however, would really undercut any prospect of continued EB-5 fundraising.

What's really mind boggling to me is that they have not started construction an AnC Bio. There is a treasure trove of documents and information in this link, even if they are slightly dated:
https://www.documentcloud.org/docum...peak-eb-5-correspondence-12-1-14-to-4-12.html

If I am reading the documents correctly (and perhaps I am not), the AnC Bio project has raised in excess of $70 million. So why haven't they commenced construction? Is it possible that they aren't just having problems finding investors, but that existing investors have pulled out? (Note: On page 66 in the above link Stenger states that as of April, 2015 the AnC Bio porject was 80% subscribed. Stenger stated to the media at the same time that $77 million had been raised. IIRC that figure is also in the documents that are in the above link.)

The only thing that is for sure is that this whole operation is an enigma wrapped in an enigma.

if the State is inserting themselves in this billing process then I could understand the hesitancy. Keep in mind that even with their screw ups these guys still have leverage (ex. Orleans county leading VT in job creation), but you raise good points. Or maybe they just developed some sense and realized they need to enter a period of consolidation and that they are totally overwhelmed by the scale of theie own ambitiions.

I've driven it. It's not very wide considering it is a long sloping corner. There isn't much room for oncoming traffic to get by each other. I could see that turning into a bumper car luge run on years that are snowy.

Plus, the lower access off Alpine Lane is now seeing more traffic than "expected", much to the chagrin of home/condo owners in the neighborhood

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I didn't read all 169 pages of this thread, so this may be already in here someplace, but a quick search of "onthesnow" revealed nothing. Here's an excerpt from a vacationer's review, back a year ago, January 2015. Alarming, but not surprising that he would say such things to his customers.

"....Instead, we got to speak with the co-owner, Ary Quiros . We patiently explained the situation to him and in particular asked why there were so few trails opened. In response, he told us the following. He and his partner had purchased Burke and found their snow-making equipment was archaic - from the seventies. They had made a large investment and their priority was to build a hotel to "try and develop a customer base". As a result, they had no planned new investment for the ski resort. We were totally shocked by this response. Firstly, Mr. Quiros seemed to have no interest in the ski mountain at all. Secondly, what he said was totally at odds with Burke's website..."

More:
http://www.onthesnow.com/vermont/burke-mountain/reviews.html?review_id=20152

I didn't read all 169 pages of this thread, so this may be already in here someplace, but a quick search of "onthesnow" revealed nothing. Here's an excerpt from a vacationer's review, back a year ago, January 2015. Alarming, but not surprising that he would say such things to his customers.

"....Instead, we got to speak with the co-owner, Ary Quiros . We patiently explained the situation to him and in particular asked why there were so few trails opened. In response, he told us the following. He and his partner had purchased Burke and found their snow-making equipment was archaic - from the seventies. They had made a large investment and their priority was to build a hotel to "try and develop a customer base". As a result, they had no planned new investment for the ski resort. We were totally shocked by this response. Firstly, Mr. Quiros seemed to have no interest in the ski mountain at all. Secondly, what he said was totally at odds with Burke's website..."

More:
http://www.onthesnow.com/vermont/burke-mountain/reviews.html?review_id=20152

That sounds about right for Ary. On another note, the new season pass rates were announced overnight and will remain the same as the current season rates.

River19

Like I mentioned before, if they can't use EB-5 money for something they can't seem to be able to it......they can use EB-5 money so the hotel was doable in theory; snow making investment not so much, it doesn't pass the hurdle of job creation required for EB 5 qualification from what I understand.

And it is utterly clueless to think building a hotel "will establish a customer base" without a quality skiing product.....having a hotel with no quality activity to draw people to said hotel is like answering a question that wasn't asked...........again, tone deaf would be very kind to this management.

River19

Like I mentioned before, if they can't use EB-5 money for something they can't seem to be able to it......they can use EB-5 money so the hotel was doable in theory; snow making investment not so much, it doesn't pass the hurdle of job creation required for EB 5 qualification from what I understand.

And it is utterly clueless to think building a hotel "will establish a customer base" without a quality skiing product.....having a hotel with no quality activity to draw people to said hotel is like answering a question that wasn't asked...........again, tone deaf would be very kind to this management.

VTKilarney

I can't see Burke making it past this weekend.

I saw a groomer on the back of a flatbed truck. I'm not sure if it was coming or going.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1457711263.168572.jpg

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1457711280.610799.jpg

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1457711300.367892.jpg