• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bing vs. Google

ScottySkis

Many, many moons ago, when Yahoo and Altavista were the major search players, I used Dogpile, since it compiled search results from all the engines. After this comparo, I was curious to see if they were still around. Turns out, they are! So I tried one of the test search phrases I used on the Bing/Google test, "thigh high boots" and found a great example of "everthing's on the web"- www.discountstripper.com

Seriously.

That is a great website.

ScottySkis

IMG_5701.jpg
That is why

Edd

I guess it's not surprising Microsoft doesn't support alternative OSs...

I hate that Google Maps won't run on my WIndows phone.

They don't have a dedicated Google Maps app for sale on WP7? That surprises me.

ctenidae

They don't have a dedicated Google Maps app for sale on WP7? That surprises me.

Nope, nothing. Bing Maps is completely and utterly useless. Totally pointless. Nokia Maps, which you have to load yourself, as it's not on the phone to start with, is tons better.

Edd

Nope, nothing. Bing Maps is completely and utterly useless. Totally pointless. Nokia Maps, which you have to load yourself, as it's not on the phone to start with, is tons better.

It must be about the current market share (tiny) for Windows phones. Making a maps app for a specific mobile operating system must be a tremendous undertaking so it probably isn't profitable enough for developers yet. I'd think something will come along though if WP8 is a success. There's a crapload of maps apps for iOS.

bvibert

Staff member

It must be about the current market share (tiny) for Windows phones. Making a maps app for a specific mobile operating system must be a tremendous undertaking so it probably isn't profitable enough for developers yet. I'd think something will come along though if WP8 is a success. There's a crapload of maps apps for iOS.

Is the Windows Phone app market curated by MS? If so they may not want a Google maps option if they're trying to push Bing. That would be pretty short-sighted if true, but who knows. You're probably right though that it just hasn't been worth Google's time to come up with a WP app.

dmc

Out of date too... Images are from like 6 years ago.. Google is from last year..